The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

I think slowing down with the films is a good idea. Any news that proves Grace Randolph is a fraud is A-OK with me.

Bob Iger seems to be taking some of the blame regarding Solo.

I'm not convinced 100% Star Wars is meant for TV. But then again this trilogy is a **** show and will forever be remembered as such. It honestly might be the lesser of two evils for Star Wars to become serialised on the small screen.

Lucas was never against TV projects and even developed a live-action TV series for a while. And he had input in The Clone Wars. So I see no problem with that. Just make them good. Don't make your cheap run of the mill TV series with Star Wars. Make something epic and feature level, but with TV.

I just realized that Kathleen Kennedy is 65, in 3 years she will be 68.

If in 3 years there's news that she retires from her position (which is very natural considering her age) I'm fully prepared there will be people spinning her decision was because of her being fired/ forced to resign or whatever, no matter the performance of IX, Indiana Jones and any potential other SW movies.

3 years really isn't that long from now. As much as her supporters may crow about the extension, and her detractors we bash it , 2021 isn't that far off. Its not like they extended her contract for another decade. In internet time that may seem like forever, but it really isn't. She'll be there throughout Episode 9 and the development of SW shows. I doubt she'll be around when any other SW films go behind the camera because I doubt we're gonna get any new films for a while post 9.

I wouldn't be surprised if she and Disney are already looking at potential successors. The question is really about who will be the head of creative going forward since the creative direction of the franchise is what's really been the point of contention among fans.

There’s not a great deal she can do in three years that wouldn’t already have been scheduled. Makes me wonder if it’s a gesture to stretch her career until retirement.

I fee like that neither the rebellion or the empire will win. The ending seems like it will be a truce of sorts between kylo and rey with kylo sacrificing himself in the process.

What do you folks think of a force ghost Anakin talking to Kylo explaining just how misguided he is and it’s during those moments that Kylo knows it’s too late for him but committs one act of goodness to save both the Empire and the Rebellion?

There’s not a great deal she can do in three years that wouldn’t already have been scheduled.

I agree. At the moment there're only Episode IX and Indy 5 that are confirmed releases. Apart from the TV shows (live action, Resistance and TCW) I think through 2021 Kennedy can only supervise pre-production and filming of D&D's and Rian Johnson's movies, which I guess aim for 2021 and 2022 release.

I wonder why Iger extends her contract for such a long period. Iger himself had extended his contract at Disney several times, but never for 3 years. Kevin Feige has had his contract extended at least once for one year.

Iger's first contract as CEO ended on April 1 2015. In July 2013, he extended it for the first time to June 2016 (15 months).

Disney CEO Iger Gets 15-Month Contract Extension

His second extension was announced in October 2014, stretching his term from June 2016 to June 2018 (2 years).

Bob Iger, on Success Streak, Gets 2nd Contract Extension at Disney

In March 2017 he extended his contract for the third time, from June 2018 to July 2019 (14 months).

Bob Iger extends contract at Disney

His latest extension was announced in December 2017, from July 2019 to "through 2021" (2 to 2.5 years) to guide Disney through FOX deal.

Try FT for free | Financial Times

In Kevin Feige's case, we only know that his contract has been extended at least once. In an interview with Collider in April 2015 he said that his contract would end some time in 2018.

Marvel's Kevin Feige Reveals When His Contract Ends

In January 2018 he said that his contract was extended "through 2019" (i.e. by one year) and he would oversee the movies in pre-production at the time (i.e. 3 movies in 2019).

Kevin Feige addresses his future as president of Marvel Studios

I sort of understand that in Iger's case he'd said that he wanted to leave the position before (and he's even older than Kennedy), and his contract extensions were mostly to find the right successor (especially after his heir apparent Tom Staggs departed abruptly).

But why did Disney only extend Feige contract by one year but extend Kennedy contract by 3 years? Is this standard practice at Disney? (and compared her extension to Iger's and Feige's, I don't think it's standard practice). Anyone knows about contract extensions of Pixar or WDAS heads? Or from Disney's TV division (ABC)?

While I don't know the ins and outs of other contract extensions, my assumption is that three years gives Iger and Kennedy enough confidence to groom an heir apparent, or to find someone within the organization who they feel comfortable handing Lucasfilm over by 2021.

The problem with the "Disney's Canned Kennedy" theories, is that you don't just fire the head of company like Lucasfilm without being darn sure that a competent replacement is in place and won't run it into the ground. I doubt that even if Kennedy was to retire this year that there's someone there Disney would feel comfortable handing the reigns over to at this point.

That's actually a valid point, if there was a natural successor Kennedy might very well have hung up the boots after Episode IX. When John Lasseter left Pixar there were any number of colleagues who could have taken over, and over at Apple Tim Cook was essentially groomed by Steve Jobs to run the place prior to his death. Not only is there no natural successor, given how some of the staff, cast and crew have acted and presented themselves online I think there's a serious cultural and behavioural issue at Lucasfilm which needs to be fixed before anyone from within the company can take over. As much as I think Kennedy is not the right person to run the company anymore and should resign, I do see the logic in her staying put for a little longer.

While I don't know the ins and outs of other contract extensions, my assumption is that three years gives Iger and Kennedy enough confidence to groom an heir apparent, or to find someone within the organization who they feel comfortable handing Lucasfilm over by 2021.

The problem with the "Disney's Canned Kennedy" theories, is that you don't just fire the head of company like Lucasfilm without being darn sure that a competent replacement is in place and won't run it into the ground. I doubt that even if Kennedy was to retire this year that there's someone there Disney would feel comfortable handing the reigns over to at this point.

They fired Dick Cook and replaced him with Rich Ross who was gone relatively quickly.

I'm not convinced 100% Star Wars is meant for TV. But then again this trilogy is a **** show and will forever be remembered as such. It honestly might be the lesser of two evils for Star Wars to become serialised on the small screen.

tenor.gif

When do we normally find out the name of the film?

If Iger and the Board want Kennedy out and just extend her contract to find a successor then 3 years are still awfully long for a transition deal (Iger's extension right after Staggs' depart was only for 14 months, and Disney is 10 times bigger than Lucasfilm). And in 3 years D&D and Rian Johnson's movies will be deep in production, and I honestly think Disney should not let Kennedy supervise those if they're dissatisfied with her and want her out.

What makes me wonder is why they didn't extend her contract for 1 or 2 years (like Feige and Iger) and continue to extend it after but instead sign with her for 3 years; that doesn't look like standard practice.

It depends entirely on whether anyone actually wants to take over the job right now. Lucasfilm for all intense and purposes is a primarily a Star Wars company. Yeah, it has a few other things but it's entire existence is reliant on one property that for the most part needs to cater to a very fussy and vocal audience as well as Disney investors. I can't imagine taking on that job with that level of pressure. The other possibility is Iger was being 100% honest in taking the bullet for Kennedy, that she's not the one who's been making the bad decisions and is getting unfairly blamed for the direction the franchise has taken when it was actually Iger's doing that got us here. So maybe it's some kind of compensation package for all the crap dished at her? Dunno. It could also be a case of Disney thinking she's genuinely done a good job. I don't know how they would have come to that conclusion given the amount of behind the scenes creative issues they've had with these movies, and leaderless direction the series has gone as well as the genuine fan and audience divide, but it's also possible they think everything is fine. But I don't know how true that is given Iger seems to acknowledge there have been some bad mistakes made with the franchise.

When do we normally find out the name of the film?

The Force Awakens title was revealed on November 6th 2014, movie was released December 17th 2015.

The Last Jedi title was revealed on January 23rd 2017, movie was released December 15th 2017.

I'd say around the same time - December/January... or they might string it out until Star Wars Celebration in April. :p

The Force Awakens title was revealed on November 6th 2014, movie was released December 17th 2015.

The Last Jedi title was revealed on January 23rd 2017, movie was released December 15th 2017.

I'd say around the same time - December/January... or they might string it out until Star Wars Celebration in April. :p
Ah thanks for that. I would rather know as soon as possible.

They fired Dick Cook and replaced him with Rich Ross who was gone relatively quickly.

Well I can't speak to the Cook situation since I don't know the facts behind it . That said, just because they can replace one executive relatively quickly in one circumstance, doesn't mean they can do the same thing in another given circumstance with another studio.

I would assume they were already comfortable with Ross to begin with , so it wasn't as if he was some random guy they put in Cook's place quickly. That's probably not the case with Lucasfilm . That was the point of my post. That Disney may not feel comfortable with who is available at this point to run such an important studio.

Or, no one else may want it, as another poster pointed out. Regardless , I don't think three years is really that long to find a successor that Kennedy and Disney feel comfortable with. Its really not a long time though it may seem like that when you look at it on paper.

With a company like Lucasfilm, you're not gonna wanna rush a change over like that regardless . I could totally see Disney being cautious enough to with a hand over for running Lucasfilm.

Disney is a pretty cautious studio, and they're only gonna rock the boat until they have their bases covered. They aren't like WB who's constantly firing and demoting people with each new DCEU film.

Others may disagree. Fair enough.

Also, Kennedy is fairly powerful in the studio politics. She has tons of influential friends. Solo's performance isn't going to get her fired.

I think slowing down with the films is a good idea. Any news that proves Grace Randolph is a fraud is A-OK with me.

Bob Iger seems to be taking some of the blame regarding Solo.

Nah apparently there's a reason for this.

I just can't even with this woman.

And today she dropped this savaging bomb too.

She's never right with any of her so-called scoops.

Regardless , I don't think three years is really that long to find a successor that Kennedy and Disney feel comfortable with. Its really not a long time though it may seem like that when you look at it on paper.

Personally I don't even think that they are looking for her successor, but setting that aside, I think 3 years is "long" not because it's a reasonable time to find a replacement, but all Iger and Feige's contracts are extended multiple times (in Iger's case) for shorter extensions (only 1-2 years), so I think 3-year is long compared to these two's extensions. If, say, Feige doesn't agree to extend his contract this year for whatever reason, his 1-year extension is presumably enough to find a successor (but let's be serious, Feige likely will extend his contract).

Disney can do the same thing in Kennedy's case (i.e. extending her contract for 1-2 years, then continue to extend it). But nope, they make her sign a 3-year extension. That's what makes me wonder.

She's never right with any of her so-called scoops.

Well, I checked her tweets these last few days and she said that she got the PG Deadpool, Bird of Prey, WW84 release date and Dark Phoenix delay scoops right. I don't even follow her in the first place but I guess she's like Crazy Days and Nights, i.e. 1/3 some what legit, 2/3 trash posing as something legit.

The Deadpool thing was her calling a petition to release the first Deadpool movie as PG-13 and not R. That's hardly her being right about some insider scoop.

She also claimed Dark Phoenix was getting cancelled and would not be released.

If i have to listen to that god awful voice of hers one more time I'm gonna shoot myself.

Btw, I notice the haters are apparently planning a "protest" at Star Wars celebration next year. It's gonna be hilarious watching them get laughed at

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"