The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

No one wants the job of running one of the most popular franchises of all time.

Yeah, that tracks with all I know about business and show business.

Personally I don't even think that they are looking for her successor, but setting that aside, I think 3 years is "long" not because it's a reasonable time to find a replacement, but all Iger and Feige's contracts are extended multiple times (in Iger's case) for shorter extensions (only 1-2 years), so I think 3-year is long compared to these two's extensions. If, say, Feige doesn't agree to extend his contract this year for whatever reason, his 1-year extension is presumably enough to find a successor (but let's be serious, Feige likely will extend his contract).

Disney can do the same thing in Kennedy's case (i.e. extending her contract for 1-2 years, then continue to extend it). But nope, they make her sign a 3-year extension. That's what makes me wonder.
Well , I should have made clear that when I'm referring to 3 years not being a long time , I'm not referencing it in relation to common contract extensions. I can't speak to that stuff nor Disney's history of contract extensions. I'm just saying its not that long as far as time goes. We're in late 2018 now so 2021 really isn't that far off . I'm basically responding to the reaction of Kennedy's supporters and detractors who both act as if 3 years is a decade.

I'd be shocked if Disney and Kennedy weren't already looking at potential candidates to take the reigns of Lucasfilm after Kennedy retires, assuming she retires after 2021. They usually plan that kind of succession well ahead of time and aren't gonna wait till the last minute to look for someone who can slide in and handle the job.

If Kennedy had been fired that would be a different situation, but if they know that Kennedy is going to retire in a couple of years, they're not gonna wait to look for a replacement the same year she's leaving.

Anyone who thinks Iger doesn't have confidence in Kennedy is seriously delusional, that's about the be-all-end-all of it. She'll be running Lucasfilm as long as she wants to run Lucasfilm, if she leaves it'll be because she wants to move on/slow down, it's good to see that won't be for another few years yet.

At this point, I like what I'm hearing from Iger. I've advocated for them to slow down, release the films less often, take time to let the new films to develop, and focus on new stories and new characters going forward instead on going back to the saga film well again and again. That's what it looks like they're gonna do.

That's a good thing , not a bad thing. I really don't see a reason to complain about that and it seems that the new strategy is the one thing SW can agree on these days.

I've got no complaints with Kennedy staying or not if they're course correcting which they clearly are .

They don't need to course correct. They have made billions at Disney with Star Wars already. There hasn't been a 2020 movie announced, ever. The third anthology film has been up in the air since Trank messed up Boba. They have created plenty of new stories and characters using the Saga. TFA and TLJ are new stories, with new characters. Same for Rogue One and even Solo.

All that being said, the market can sustain a Star Wars film every year. Solo not working out does not suggest otherwise, especially considering all the circumstances around it.

2019 is set to be arguably the biggest year in Star Wars history. IX, Mandalorian, Clone Wars and the opening of Star Wars' Galaxy's Edge in both California and Florida. Celebration is going to be ridiculous.

They don't need to course correct. They have made billions at Disney with Star Wars already. There hasn't been a 2020 movie announced, ever. The third anthology film has been up in the air since Trank messed up Boba. They have created plenty of new stories and characters using the Saga. TFA and TLJ are new stories, with new characters. Same for Rogue One and even Solo.

Whether fans agree or disagree about whether they need to course correct, they are. It'd be hard to argue otherwise at this point. The new characters I'm talking about are unrelated to the saga films and would be part of the B &W films, and the Johnson trilogy.

There's not gonna be a Boba Fett film nor an Obi Wan film, nor a Solo sequel. As of now , 9 will end the saga story so that door will be closed as well. They're clearly moving beyond stories that are directly or indirectly connected to the Skywalker family and friends. The live action tv shows may be something different .

Whether fans agree or disagree about whether they need to course correct, they are. It'd be hard to argue otherwise at this point. The new characters I'm talking about are unrelated to the saga films and would be part of the B &W films, and the Johnson trilogy.

There's not gonna be a Boba Fett film nor an Obi Wan film, nor a Solo sequel. As of now , 9 will end the saga story so that door will be closed as well. They're clearly moving beyond stories that are directly or indirectly connected to the Skywalker family and friends. The live action tv shows may be something different .

You either have a very good inside source or a crystal ball. Those are the only two ways you could say definitively that there will never be a Boba film, an Obi film, or a Solo sequel.

Rogue One did fantastic at the box office. Proving that audiences are fine with a stand alone star wars film being released one year after a previous star wars film. Also proving that audiences are open to OT era stand alone films. Disney hasn't forgotten that. Solo had extreme production troubles and was released 5 months after the most controversial divisive star wars film in the franchise. They arent blind to that fact. They arent going to ignore Rogue One's massive success, and the obvious causes of Solo's failure, and permanently stop making stand alone star wars films.

This isnt a course correction. All they're doing is focusing on Episode 9 exclusively cause they want it to be as good as possible so they can win win over the part of the fandom that's having a hissy fit. That's why they went back to JJ. They are banking on him doing with Episode 9 what he did with TFA. And if Episode 9 is received as well as TFA you can bet all the money you've got they will ride that wave of good will right into 2020 and start releasing films yearly again.

Long story short this isnt a course correction. It's a holding pattern until Episode 9 is released and they see which way the wind is gonna blow.

I think Ep 9 will be popular, and successful, Ep 8 'fall-out' or not, people want to see how this ends. Those who have invested this far in, on two films, will want to see it's conclusion. The problem for the film that is has nowhere to go really bar three ways, 1) Daisy (Rey) goes to Dark side and Luke saves her 2) Adam (Kylo) goes to Light side eventually and his arc is full circle or 3) They take the end of the Ep 8 and set it ten years in the future and seize the hope that was born & seen at the end of that film.

You either have a very good inside source or a crystal ball. Those are the only two ways you could say definitively that there will never be a Boba film, an Obi film, or a Solo sequel.

Rogue One did fantastic at the box office. Proving that audiences are fine with a stand alone star wars film being released one year after a previous star wars film. Also proving that audiences are open to OT era stand alone films. Disney hasn't forgotten that. Solo had extreme production troubles and was released 5 months after the most controversial divisive star wars film in the franchise. They arent blind to that fact. They arent going to ignore Rogue One's massive success, and the obvious causes of Solo's failure, and permanently stop making stand alone star wars films.

This isnt a course correction. All they're doing is focusing on Episode 9 exclusively cause they want it to be as good as possible so they can win win over the part of the fandom that's having a hissy fit. That's why they went back to JJ. They are banking on him doing with Episode 9 what he did with TFA. And if Episode 9 is received as well as TFA you can bet all the money you've got they will ride that wave of good will right into 2020 and start releasing films yearly again.

Long story short this isnt a course correction. It's a holding pattern until Episode 9 is released and they see which way the wind is gonna blow.

Going from one film a year to slowing down and letting the films develop is a course correction , like it or not. There's not gonna be a sequel to Solo. I don't think even the most diehard SW fan have argued that's gonna happen, but if you think there's gonna be one ,fair enough. Ditto with a Boba Fett film . Obi Wan is the only one of those films that seems close to a possibility, but even that's unlikely.

Regardless, I never said they would never make standalone films ever again. What I said is that they're unlikely to go back to the Skywalker related characters and instead focus on the new characters in the Johnson trilogy and the B&W films. Now there may be fans who don't like that ,but that's the direction its heading.

I basically agree with what you've said about Episode 9 and rogue one, but they're not going back to one film a year, and definitely not by 2020. Even if I agreed with you, 2020 would be the time they would likely start film the B&W films at best and that's not even counting the development of Johnsons's film. Iger is basically letting us know they're slowing down and moving toward the new films.

That is a course correction from the status quo pre Solo. I really haven't seen too many fans or entertainment reporters argue that Lucasfilm is continuing with the franchise the same way they did pre-Solo and that they aren't taking a new approach.

Now, if you don't agree with that and feel they they're gonna go ahead and make Solo 2, Boba Fett and Obi Wan after Episode 9, hey, that's how you feel.

Going from one film a year to slowing down and letting the films develop is a course correction , like it or not. There's not gonna be a sequel to Solo. I don't think even the most diehard SW fan have argued that's gonna happen, but if you think there's gonna be one ,fair enough. Ditto with a Boba Fett film . Obi Wan is the only one of those films that seems close to a possibility, but even that's unlikely.

Regardless, I never said they would never make standalone films ever again. What I said is that they're unlikely to go back to the Skywalker related characters and instead focus on the new characters in the Johnson trilogy and the B&W films. Now there may be fans who don't like that ,but that's the direction its heading.

I basically agree with what you've said about Episode 9 and rogue one, but they're not going back to one film a year, and definitely not by 2020. Even if I agreed with you, 2020 would be the time they would likely start film the B&W films at best and that's not even counting the development of Johnsons's film. Iger is basically letting us know they're slowing down and moving toward the new films.

That is a course correction from the status quo pre Solo. I really haven't seen too many fans or entertainment reporters argue that Lucasfilm is continuing with the franchise the same way they did pre-Solo and that they aren't taking a new approach.

Now, if you don't agree with that and feel they they're gonna go ahead and make Solo 2, Boba Fett and Obi Wan after Episode 9, hey, that's how you feel.

IDK man, but speaking for myself,I'm watching Star Wars to see what is going to happen in the Skywalker saga next. I'm not ready to say goodbye to the new characters after Episode IX, especially Rey and Kylo Ren, as well as Poe and Finn. We barely scratched the surface with them. That doesn't mean we have to get another Episodes in 2021,2023,2025, but killing any of them off would be a big mistake IMO.

As for Solo 2 and Boba Fett, I'd honestly combine those two into a single feature. I can't remember, but unless it's clearly stated that they have never met before, it could work.

Honestly, I think itd be smarter and more economically sensible to bring back Boba, Maul, young Lando, young Han, Chewie, and even Qyra in a show on Disney's streaming service. Have a show dealing with the crime syndicate. Get audiences used to this younger Han. Used to the return of Maul. And then down the road bring them back to the big screen in a crime syndicate film. There's no reason major film characters can't be used in the shows. Not everything needs to be cinema big screen oriented.

Essentially what I'm saying is use the Solo film as a Pilot episode for a show on Disney's streaming service.

Honestly, I think itd be smarter and more economically sensible to bring back Boba, Maul, young Lando, young Han, Chewie, and even Qyra in a show on Disney's streaming service. Have a show dealing with the crime syndicate. Get audiences used to this younger Han. Used to the return of Maul. And then down the road bring them back to the big screen in a crime syndicate film. There's no reason major film characters can't be used in the shows. Not everything needs to be cinema big screen oriented.

Essentially what I'm saying is use the Solo film as a Pilot episode for a show on Disney's streaming service.

I really agree. After all, that's how The Clone Wars started and it's arguably the most popular Star Wars content out there next to the original trilogy.

Yeah they are definitely slowing down the output, but that's a good thing. You can argue that's a bit of a course correction.

Let's be honest guys, all talk of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan has since died since Solo. Not saying they will never get made, but they are definitely in development purgatory right now.

And maybe that is for the best. Quality over quantity any day of the week. No matter how much you love something, you are not going to keep consuming it if the overall quality of the product just keep drooping.

And maybe that is for the best. Quality over quantity any day of the week. No matter how much you love something, you are not going to keep consuming it if the overall quality of the product just keep drooping.

Yeah look what happened to Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

Yeah they are definitely slowing down the output, but that's a good thing. You can argue that's a bit of a course correction.

Let's be honest guys, all talk of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan has since died since Solo. Not saying they will never get made, but they are definitely in development purgatory right now.

Was there any indication of what the Obi-Wan thing would cover? Where in his life it'd take place?

Obi-Wan is still the movie people want. Not Boba Fett, not anyone else. People want Ewan Mcgregor fighting Vader, to fill in the plothole.

Was there any indication of what the Obi-Wan thing would cover? Where in his life it'd take place?

There were rumors but nothing concrete. Everyone assumed it'd be some time between Episodes 3 and 4.

Also McGregor is 47 now and not a young man anymore. Not that he doesn't look good for his age, but it seems unlikely he'd play a younger Obi-Wan for an extended part of the film other than a flashback scene or something.

He is the perfect age to play Obi-Wan between episodes 3 and 4, while Luke and Lea were children. You dump in Darth Maul and his criminal syndicate in there, maybe a short run-in with Vader (of course if it doesn't violate existing canon). Hell, you can put Bobba Fett in there as well.

He is the perfect age to play Obi-Wan between episodes 3 and 4, while Luke and Lea were children. You dump in Darth Maul and his criminal syndicate in there, maybe a short run-in with Vader (of course if it doesn't violate existing canon). Hell, you can put Bobba Fett in there as well.

Darth Maul appearing makes no sense.

Yep. Gotta keep Maul in the criminal realm from here on out, no way he and Obi should meet anytime between Clone Wars and the Rebels showdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"