The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local tribal guerilla-force idea was a sound one, the whole Vietnam parallel deal, it just came off pretty ridiculous since they only seem to outnumber the Stormies about two-to-one in the fight and each Imperial just comes off as even more incompetent than usual.

But being little teddy bears I pretty much have no problem with, that's as Star Wars as anything that came before it.

The Ewoks never bothered me, honestly. I think popular culture made them lame with that cartoon and such, but within ROTJ itself, I was okay with them.
ee5vWSg.gif

The Ewoks basically did nothing other than be a bit of a distraction. Han and the Rebels blow up the base, Lando and Wedge blow up the Death Star, Luke and Vader take care of the Emperor.

And apparently Leia wasn't in the third act. :o

My issue with the Ewoks is that they couldn't physically create them to make them believable for what they were supposed to be.

There's just no way those mobility impaired little bears could build the traps they had, let alone the tree town they had at extreme heights (and it's kind of funny that they could build that which requires good tools, but they couldn't build spears that weren't absurdly blunt). They move so poorly that I don't buy that they could hurt me by throwing a rock in my head, let alone put down an armored soldier.

Today they could make them digitally and actually have them be fast and agile, making it believable that they could both create things and fight well. So today they could actually be made as Lucas seems to have envisioned them, while most of the other things he created were actually good enough to come across as intended even back then.

There's no way those fat-ass immobile Hutts could command enough fear in an early evolutionary sense to eventually rise to become feared crime bosses, either. A half-naked skinny young woman takes out the baddest dude on Tatooine with a chain.

Star. Wars.

I never hated The Ewoks that much. While watching ROTJ, sure I was thinking: "What the hell ? The Imperial's army couldn't even beat a bunch of teddy bears ?" but that's it. Never hate them really.

There's no way those fat-ass immobile Hutts could command enough fear in an early evolutionary sense to eventually rise to become feared crime bosses, either. A half-naked skinny young woman takes out the baddest dude on Tatooine with a chain.

Star. Wars.

There's absolutely nothing that indicated that the Hutts were in their position of power due to physical strength. The way Jabba was presented he had been smart enough to accumulate wealth, which generates power. Other people do his dirty work because they get paid.

Having leaders that are physically dangerous are for biker gangs and pirates. Serious organized crime is handled by brains.

The Hutts are all supposed to be gangsters though. And, yes, it's wealth, but using real-world logic why wouldn't someone like Boba or Maul or a random man-of-action with the skills have just slayed the Blob and took his money, maintained the power himself?

Generally speaking, mobsters rise up through the ranks. Even the dons were once hit-men or at least low-level enforcers, guys who can hold their own. They're not mutually-exclusive things.

The Hutts are all supposed to be gangsters though. And, yes, it's wealth, but using real-world logic why wouldn't someone like Boba or Maul or a random man-of-action with the skills have just slayed the Blob and took his money, maintained the power himself?

Generally speaking, mobsters rise up through the ranks. Even the dons were once hit-men or at least low-level enforcers, guys who can hold their own. They're not mutually-exclusive things.

Because as wealthy and powerful the Hutts have become they have enough people loyal to them to make it extremely dangerous to attack them. They don't defend themselves physically, they make sure the people they employ are so well off that it's in their interest to keep their master alive. Also, why would Boba Fett know how to run a gigantic crime organization?

That's just one of the types of mob groups, which is the low level kind. Much organized crime develop out of legitimate business, which is far more relevant when we're looking at crime on a scale that spans a sector of the galaxy. There are plenty of species in the Star Wars galaxy that have accumulated massive power solely through wealth and politics.

And the important part is the direct comparison between Jabba and the Ewoks. Does Jabba have any trait that directly breaks what I'm seeing on screen? No. Do the Ewoks have any traits that directly break what I'm seeing on screen? Yes, bears that can barely walk can't build what they show in the film, and no one else did it for them either.

"Barely walk", though?

Yeah, these days you'd do it in CG and they'd be more mobile, but still. A little imagination, man. AT-STs are ridiculous too, it shouldn't take you out of the movie.

"Barely walk", though?

Yeah, these days you'd do it in CG and they'd be more mobile, but still. A little imagination, man. AT-STs are ridiculous too, it shouldn't take you out of the movie.

Yes, they look clumsy just doing that. Wicket had a hard time getting up on a lying log, but somehow they can climb trees to create a really advanced tree house village?

It takes more than just a little imagination in this case, but as said I love RotJ so it hasn't ruined the film for me. Of course it probably helped that I saw the film as a kid.

AT-ST walkers aren't nearly as ridiculous as the implementation of the Ewoks.

Of friggin' course they are. Yes, they have stabilization gyros, but even so, any major weighty impact to that main head part is sending the thing over.

Of friggin' course they are. Yes, they have stabilization gyros, but even so, any major weighty impact to that main head part is sending the thing over.

Which still isn't nearly as ridiculous as a bunch of movement impaired bears doing what the film says they are.

The AT-ST is meant for support against ground troops, so not much risk of heavy hits to the cockpit. There would be more risk from anti-armor weapons. Stormtroopers not hitting anything is more ridiculous than the AT-ST.

So wonder if there’s any truth to this?

Katgleen Kennedy stepping down?

Hopefully not. I think it would be a bad idea for her to step down or for then to fire her before Episode 9. They have the perfect transition period after Episode 9. When they can have "new blood" leading the future films and whatever direction the franchise goes in. At most they should keep her on in a transitional capacity until Episode 9. Booting her now would just reek of knee jerk reaction and ass kissing to appease the trolls.

Not to mention you dont eant to begin Episode 9 the final film of the trilogy with a changing of leaders. It could mess up Episode 9 or at the very least make the production more strained than it needs to be.

Long story short, Disney, dont behave like WB because you had one box office disappointment. Grow a spine and push on until Episode 9 is released.

Well, its show business, not show friends , and alot of times, its about "what have you done for me lately' , not "what have you done for me in the past," and that's regardless of fanboys complaining or support for that matter.

WB is hardly alone in behaving that way as a studio. They've been reactionary because of the reception of the general audience, not fanboys.

If Disney does give Kennedy the boot it will be because how the films go over with the general audience not because of fanboys. Like it or not, Hollywood is cut throat and they'll dump you even if you've been a huge success for them in the past.

Disney in particular didn't get as far as they have by being the "nice guys" who forgive financial massive disappointments by people who work for them.

That said, I tend to think Kennedy will stay the head of Lucasfilm while the head of creative may go to someone else whether it be someone she picks or another choice.

That would seem to me to be the most likely outcome since they could still have a successful experienced head of Lucasfilm in Kennedy, while having fresh blood as head of creative going forward.

Hopefully not. I think it would be a bad idea for her to step down or for then to fire her before Episode 9. They have the perfect transition period after Episode 9. When they can have "new blood" leading the future films and whatever direction the franchise goes in. At most they should keep her on in a transitional capacity until Episode 9. Booting her now would just reek of knee jerk reaction and ass kissing to appease the trolls.

Not to mention you dont eant to begin Episode 9 the final film of the trilogy with a changing of leaders. It could mess up Episode 9 or at the very least make the production more strained than it needs to be.

Long story short, Disney, dont behave like WB because you had one box office disappointment. Grow a spine and push on until Episode 9 is released.
There’s sense in the above.

But WB suffered for not changing creative teams and following the same strategy through to JL after which there would be a natural transition period. And in doing so caused a hell of a lot more irreparable damage. Also KK replaced directors on SW films relatively late on and in the case of Solo, this led to the much bigger budget without which Solo’s numbers wouldn’t be such an issue. So maybe she is herself of the view that going/removing early is the preferable strategy. If Episode IX bombs then things will be very different for SW after that and IMO some (not me) won’t be giving it more chances whoever comes in.

All that’s not to say I don’t agree with you. But I also don’t think the opposite opinion is without merit either.

Star. Wars.

A fat young boy who is probably one of the least fearsome looking people on the planet has a whole country obeying his crazy whims right now. :woot:

A fat young boy who is probably one of the least fearsome looking people on the planet has a whole country obeying his crazy whims right now. :woot:

And to use a real world gangster as an example:

1200px-Al_Capone_in_1930.jpg

That baby faced chubby fella is none other than Al Capone. I'm pretty sure he "intimidated " a lot of people, including hardened violent criminals despite his cherubic face. So yeah. I've little problem believing the Hutts could gain power despite their gross wormlike physiology.

Also, the Hutts in the canon arent all like Jabba. The hutt in the Aftermath trilogy had mechanical legs that moved her around quickly like a centipede and she was incredibly violent and incredibly strong. She was able to lift and flip an Imperial shuttle. By herself. And she lobotomized her servants to make them docile zombies.

Last edited:
*Laughs* Dude, Capone rose up the ranks, personally breaking legs and shooting dudes in the face and stuff. He paid his dues and developed a rep as a guy you don't tangle with, he wasn't born the big dog.

Can you see a Hutt accumulating power that way? I get that their influence comes through wealth & brains, but eventually most of these people have to get their hands dirty too. You'd figure the guys following him would be not exactly of loyal/honorable character, whoever took out a Hutt and declared themselves the new grand poobah all of the cronies would probably switch allegiances to in a heartbeat.

*Laughs* Dude, Capone rose up the ranks, personally breaking legs and shooting dudes in the face and stuff. He paid his dues and developed a rep as a guy you don't tangle with, he wasn't born the big dog.

Can you see a Hutt accumulating power that way? I get that their influence comes through wealth & brains, but eventually most of these people have to get their hands dirty too. You'd figure the guys following him would be not exactly of loyal/honorable character, whoever took out a Hutt and declared themselves the new grand poobah all of the cronies would probably switch allegiances to in a heartbeat.

Your premise is flawed at the foundation. How would an individual's ability to beat people up be particularly relevant in an environment where you have weapons where one pull of the trigger kills someone? Anyone that was allowed to carry a blaster near Jabba could theoretically have killed him, as with any crime leader in history when personal firearms were common. The notion that ambitious people avoided to do that because the leader was physically capable is laughable. You don't do that because of that no one is leader without having powerful and loyal friends, and if you want to usurp someone that's the factor you need to solve, not the actual killing which is trivial.

The success of a large criminal organization has nothing to do with the physical state of it's leader, it has to do with how well structured the organization is. The Hutts act like businessmen and politicians, and if you don't see how those can accumulate vast power without getting their own hands dirty I don't know what to say. Loyalty can be bought since if you treat your people well they have no reson to look for anything else.

As people have already explained Star Wars does explain how the Hutts act physically, but it's an irrelevant fact to explain the positions of the big leaders.

It's also telling that one of the greatest feats of any Sith Lord was Darth Sidious taking control over the galaxy and creating a galactic empire. Something he did almost solely without the need to get his own hands dirty. He was extremely capable of killing, but it's just not what was necessary to gain true political power. To work yourself up by being rough is small time.

Last edited:
Mjölnir;36701833 said:
Your premise is flawed at the foundation. How would an individual's ability to beat people up be particularly relevant in an environment where you have weapons where one pull of the trigger kills someone? Anyone that was allowed to carry a blaster near Jabba could theoretically have killed him, as with any crime leader in history when personal firearms were common. The notion that ambitious people avoided to do that because the leader was physically capable is laughable. You don't do that because of that no one is leader without having powerful and loyal friends, and if you want to usurp someone that's the factor you need to solve, not the actual killing which is trivial.

Of course the weapon thing comes into it, I'm not debating that. And it's not about "beating people up", it's just that traditionally organized crime types have a history of getting their hands dirty themselves. Capone, Cohen, Gotti, all of those types of guys started out as low-rent thugs on the streets carrying out other people's nasty business. Even guys who inherit the power tend to be put to work by their fathers to prove themselves. They started out as "Greedos", Jabba clearly doesn't come from that pragmatically-capable mold.

It's more than just brains & economic management - hell, half the Trade Federation guys had that type of know-how. In any context without their armies of battle droids, had those guys gone into the criminal business, their power isn't going to last all that long, because you take a look at them for two seconds and realize they're cowering pvssies with no hard-man merit whatsoever. Sometimes leadership is taking the point of the spear and getting involved yourself, guys like Boba of all people are going to respect that. And there are likely others in his employ like Han who're only purely in it for a fat wallet at the end of the job, nothing sentimental in play whatsoever.

Like, yeah, Jabba's brainy and has the temperament for the job. Surely plenty of other beings out there in the GFFA do too, though, and criminals/gangsters tend to be the reckless & ambitious type. I'm more just wondering how Hutts as a species are reasonably supposed to be taken seriously in this line of work, when guys like Maul & whoever else they introduce as the heads of these gangs are out there. It's more than just brains & strategem, there's a blunt-force element to this gangster life too. Hutts can't have always been the gangster Dons of the GFFA, they had less power at some point in time.

As for the loyalty thing, aside from his right-hand Twilek guy in Jedi it never really came off like any of those guys particularly had any love for the big lardass. He just paid well & threw cool parties. I don't buy that if Boba or some other ambitious upstart offed Ol' Sluggy in a very spectacular public fashion, declared he's giving everyone on payroll a higher cut from then-on, and naked guy gets to keep his cool Rancor, that all that "scum & villainy" wouldn't be on-board.

As for your Sidious comparison, talk about flawed. Sidious' frail-old-coot thing was an act, a deception. Some guy busts in on Palps while sleeping or whatever, he's pretty likely to rouse and fry the guy's balls off while laughing maniacally. Jabba's power really does rely on the trustworthiness of others, and he's operating in an industry where loyalty goes to whoever's got the deepest pockets and/or threatens you with the most unpleasant death. Jabba's guys can most likely be scared into submission, or simply bought with a higher wage from Jabba's seized wealth. Hypothetically: Maul as depicated in Clone Wars shows up on Tatooine sometime prior to EpIII, either on his own or with a small force of Mandos or random mercs, lays out 15 dead Jabba-cronies on that palace floor, and throws out a Roman "join or die, I've already found sneaky access to Jabba's credit stash", those ne'er-do-wells aren't going "gee wiz, scary devil-guy, I really do think I'll have to stick with the half-ton gooball who can't really do anything to any of us unless one of us carries it out for him." They'd piss themselves and bend a knee to Mr British Satan-Ninja.

Also, how the hell did we get onto this from EpIX talk anyway? :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back