General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode IX' started by jokesonm3, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Well-Known Member

Yep. The midi thing never bothered me in '99, and never felt like something he'd just cooked up recently at the time. It's always been there rattling around his brain.

2. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

I didn't have an issue with the midi thing myself.

3. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

I like MIDI files, they can be useful.

4. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Well-Known Member

I think George's ideas sound potentially fascinating, but would have likely made for another garbage trilogy. I think they should be incorporated though, maybe there's a race that perceives the force differently and their lore is of whills etc.

5. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

It presents a storytelling problem in Episode I because it tells the audience that Anakin is incredibly strong in the force without showing it. We don't see evidence that Anakin is strong in the force (podracing doesn't count), we're just told that he is using some arbitrary power leveling jargon. If Lucas went as far with midichlorians as he said that he would it could easily lead to an erasing of characters' agency. It wouldn't be Luke using the force, it would be the microbial Whills that live in his blood that are using the force through him. Reducing the force to midichlorians isn't just less interesting than vague, amorphous mysticism, it's narratively constricting and compromising.

6. Aximili86

And why in the balls does "podracing not count"? :whatever:

He's literally the only human organism that can do it. Seems pretty special to me.

7. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Again, I didn't have any issues with it back then or even today. I see your issues with it but it didn't bother me.

Horses for courses.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

People who complained about the prequels and midichlorians have no right to support the stuff George Lucas recently talked about. None.

9. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I've never really had an issue with midichlorians as a concept as ROTJ had established the whole "the Force runs strong in my family" thing.

I actually do think the idea of having that microbiotic world come into play in the ST is a fascinating idea, but it would be pretty challenging to make that cinematic and fit in with the existing films. I'm not saying impossible, but it's not hard to see why Disney may have balked at the idea.

I think it would've definitely made for interesting novels though. I'm definitely happy with the ST so far, but I'll always wonder what George would've been trying to say about the Force in the ST. I mean it would essentially be ruminations on the nature of God/the universe from an old man who has spent a life studying world mythologies. You know there's probably a kernal of brilliance in there somewhere, even if the idea would've been hard to translate into good, cinematic Star Wars films.

And yes, it is deliciously ironic that certain people who probably hated the prequels are now championing George.

10. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

All the podracing tells about Anakin is that he's a great pilot. There's no evidence in the sequence itself that his power in the force is what allows him to be able to do it. He doesn't have a shutting off of the targeting computer moment.

11. Aximili86

Dude, they literally say human beings don't have the physiology capable of it.

Now whether that means a trained Jedi like Qui-Gon couldn't do it with their Force abilities, who knows? But we do know from actual dialogue in the film that Anakin's the only known member of his species who can. Whether "can" means others have died trying, or it's just inferred from humans inferior reflexes that they can't, we don't know.

But he's more than just "a great pilot". Throw Wedge or Poe in a podracer and they're dead meat. Anakin's reflexes are born from his innate connection to the Force, plain and simple. It's instinct, he's not physically somehow gifted with better nerve endings or whateverthehell.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  12. Ozbridge

Ozbridge Well-Known Member

Fantha Tracks, which is the site that reliably reported on the Black Diamond - TrIXie change, today posted that according two of their sources
    Lando will come back
    in Episode IX.

13. Pennywise

Pennywise Well-Known Member

That would be awesome! :woot::drl::hmr:

14. Last Skywalker

Last Skywalker Well-Known Member

And then think about just what role he might play. Like, an arms dealer(or even the HEAD of the arms dealers) that Rose was opining about on Canto Blight. :csad:

I mean, what else is there? If Han fell back to what he knows, why not Lando.. which is performing in the gray area between legal and illegal to finance his lifestyle?

Actually.. think about it. What good is the new Rebel Alliance without ships and weapons? They're going to need to get stuff from somewhere and Lando would be the logical place Leia would turn, without any other viable options.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. samsnee

samsnee Well-Known Member

After what they’ve done to the other legacy characters, I say run away Billie Dee!

16. Aximili86

Yeah - run, before they do something inventive & interesting with you and piss off the whiney half of the fanbase!

17. Last Skywalker

Actually.. the bigger question is... if we're getting Lando again, do we also get Emilia Clarke as an older Qi`Ra?

18. RocketsNutz

RocketsNutz Well-Known Member

I remember shortly after seeing the film thinking that instead of the prequel-vibed Canto-Bight sequence and side-story that we got, that'd have been far cooler if Leia had sent Poe and Finn there to track him down for help, because she'd know he'd be there, because his lucrative gamesmanship could be helping fund the Resistance (since they were only getting so much help under the table from the Republic). You can change a whole lot from there.... get rid of the idea of having to get onto Snokes ship.

19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

A return like that isn't exactly earth-shattering.

20. Aximili86

Just saw this old pre-Star Wars clip/interview of Rian among the comments section on the main page, really hoping Abrams might take a leaf out of his book to a certain extent when approaching IX. Something a little less safe, a little more ballsy and not worried about universal praise.

Pretty awesome, he's exactly ****ing right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqgYSUL38M

And you know what? Honestly, that's exactly how George approached stuff anyway, especially with his earlier films.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  21. Last Skywalker

His movie, which helped tank Solo, just caused the Star Wars Spinoffs to be killed. If he's right... the fans who pay the bills don't agree. SORRY.

Star Wars is in freefall atm over at Disney because of That Guy and there is no telling what the wreckage will look like after they're done. Right now, by their own admission, they've basically retreated back to only doing Episodic Movies, until they figure out how to fix what he broke. That likely includes 'his' trilogy, which if it wasn't cancelled outright, has likely been put on a very slow boat to nowhereville.

Either way, the last shoe just dropped when they gutted the spinoffs, and his failure is complete.

22. Aximili86

So...Johnson's responsible for Solo failing (a film he had nothing to do with) and by logic the holding (not cancelling) of the anthology films.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :whatever:

23. Gothamsknight

Gothamsknight Well-Known Member

I love watching so called Star Wars fans cry and whine over a fictional franchise and then attack the actor. seriously, the haters act like someone whent back in time and took away every christmas morning they ever had and threw it in the dumpster. grow up

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  24. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Haha, if we're really going to put all of that on Rian and pretend for a that moment he and he alone is the only reason for Disney putting a hold on spinoffs...I'd just like to go ahead and say thank you Rian Johnson. I was worried the franchise was in danger of exhausting itself with all these unnecessary spinoff films, and I certainly don't need Star Wars movies every year until the end of time. Hearing that they're just focusing on making one great film with Episode IX before worrying about anything else is music to my freakin' ears.

Thanks Rian! :up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

25. Last Skywalker

See... you're getting it. When you poison a well, it kills everything that comes after you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.