General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Thread Manager, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

White box. Unless my browser effed up.

2. Gianakin_

3. BATZARRO WWD

BATZARRO WWD Campeador Boricua

I think ther's bound to be something between the OT duels and the PT ones. I was just watching a Jet Li movie the other day...forgot what it was called but JL was a prodigy martial artist(yeah... I KNOW...) in late 19 century China and he got in a tournament to fight a bunch of foreigners. Now the fights where flowery, over the top and unrealistic. BUT each character had sort of his own style and sort of brought a philosophy to the fight. There was a fencer, a wrestler, a karateka, and more, and each fight felt different because it focused on the differences between fighters. And that's sort of what I think they should go for. An assasin does not fight the same as a knight. A haughty political guy does not fight the same as a young guy who lost his mother. You can inferr personality and character through coreography, while still making it visually interesting.

4. Verbal21

Verbal21 Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, there wasn't even much of a duel in ROTJ. Just Luke wrecklessly swinging. But I do agree with that scene having way the emotion compared to seeing something like this
    [​IMG]

5. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I fully disagree about ROTJ, even though it some issues, it's duel was superb, not as good as ESB, but it was loaded with emotion, and raw anger. Luke was not recklessly swinging in terms of a dance, it was him going ballistic and it worked wonderfully, probably my favorite part in ROTJ. There were aspects of dueling for a bit, but it was more about the emotional crescendo, which is again why ROTJ it worked so well.

6. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

I like the Three in the Afternoon vid. Not linking it here because there might be swearing and God forbid someones innocent little angel hear a dirty word. But a YT search will take you right to it.

7. Destructus86

Destructus86 Well-Known Member

I thought the duels in the PT and OT were both equally good. Just different. In the PT you had more Jedi who were highly trained and refined in their skills. Developing their own styles. In the OT you had Vader, who was part machine and Luke who had very little skill. So those fights have to be more about emotion than style.

8. NosfeRomas

NosfeRomas Well-Known Member

Well i can't say the duel in RotS didn't have emotion, it had plenty, it was just choreographed to look "cool" by todays standards.

Luke going ballistic screaming NEVEEEEEER !! is one of the most badass moments in film history, he is beating Vader in his own game and after cutting his hand he realises he is becoming Vader. you cant duplicate that feeling, the duel in RotS is as close as you can get, and it was emotional and well acted for the most part, when Ewan McGregor says you were the chosen one you can see it that he is really hurt (probably bacause he was the only one who really wanted to be in the film)( ok sam jackson too)

9. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Part of the problem was that he was saying it to Hayden Christensen.

10. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Another problem is that in the old trilogy you actually got a real sense that Luke had affection for his father and wanted to save him. And even Vader's body language and voice betrayed his affection for his son.

In the PT the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan seems so contrived. One thing that bothered me in ROTS was how they kept calling one another "old friend," as if to tell the audience "remember we are friends! This is going to be so tragic!" But it breaks the old writing rule of show, don't tell. It would have been better to see them actually ACT like friends or brothers instead of just giving lip service to this supposed relationship. You shouldn't have to remind the audience that two characters are friends... they should be able to figure it out with ease. Not once did I really buy into their friendship, and it made that climactic duel feel hollow, despite Ewan McGregor doing a fantastic job with the lines he was given.

11. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Knowing Disney's plans for Summer 2015 (Pirates 5 and Avengers 2 taking up May and July), do you all think that Star Wars will be released in December? I could see it happening that way: it'll ease the eventual Star Wars director and his schedule during pre-production. It's quite intimidating and you'll need all the time you can get when youre working on something like this without Lucas actively involved. Also, it'll give the film as promised in 2015 rather than delaying it to Summer 2016.

12. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I'd say most likely winter, it would give them time to work on it, and give it lots of money. However I think Lucas being actively involved really does not make it "shorter" in production time. Though if they did want to keep the May spot, I guarantee you Episode VII is the big dog out of the three and they would shift other things around if they really wanted some kind of date (to keep with tradition).

However I see it being November/December they would have it to themselves, and do quite well I'm sure.

13. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I think a Winter release would be awesome for Star Wars, while I've always liked May as "Star Wars" month I think would a popular film to go see during the holidays.

14. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

That's been the rumor, yes.

15. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

16. Gianakin_

But she said she'll be back if asked. Don't make me cry, Carrie!

17. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

18. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

LOL! That was pretty good. Check out 'The Vader Sessions" too.

19. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

Good call! Having read up on Thrawn (I know nothing about the 'Extended Universe'), the name that occurred to me was Mads Mikkelsen.

20. xDumpweed182x

xDumpweed182x Forever-a-Newbie

I'll be honest, I loved the Anakin v. Obi Wan duel in RotS.

21. Spider-Vader

Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

I don't see them moving Avengers 2. Star Wars is going to be big, but I don't think it'll have priority over the sequel to the third biggest movie of all-time.
    Honestly, Pirates 4 should get the hell out of the July spot & move to December.

22. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I will say right here. Episode VII will probably make more then The Avengers 2. It's Star Wars. And a probable high quality one at that. Star Wars will always be the stronger franchise and I just will say again I disagree. However in terms of dates who knows. But if they move it to July or are thinking about it, they will move Avengers 2 to July (which there is nothing wrong with that, TDK and TDKR have shown that) That is if they want to keep with the May=Star Wars month.

However my prediction could be off, but I kinda get the feeling people are tired of comic book films to a point. And by 2015 I could see people welcoming a new Star Wars with open arms. But who knows, it is a prediction that is early with noting to base it off of, but I just get a feeling it will make more money.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  23. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Even though there's a 3 year delay between the two Avengers, you still got the other Marvel movies in-between. With comic book movies being so ingrained in out modern tentpole world, there will be a breaking point of exhaustion. That includes me to a certain degree. It's like if you love ice cream so much that you decided to work at an ice cream shop. There will be a point where the sight of ice cream will make you sick.

24. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I agree. I love comics, and I know the films will keep rolling in, it's pretty much it's own genre. But for the most part the massive amount of sci-fi blockbusters are superhero/comic films. I think people are ready for a massive blockbuster that is takes us back to the great galaxy far far away.

25. Darthphere

Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Jesus this scene is ridiculous. Then they both go for a force push and just hover over each others hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.