General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Thread Manager, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spideyfan93

Spideyfan93 Hayley Atwell I love you!

Williams hopefully will deliver the goods for the third time around! Still optimistic for Giacchino to get a slice too!

2. georgec

georgec Not a hero

I think it would be cool if Williams worked with a younger composer and "passed the torch" throughout the course of the new trilogy. Obvious choice would be Giacchino but I would also vouch for John Powell, John Ottman, or Marco Beltrami.

3. smallville fan

That's what I thought. Well George Lucas has always said that Star Wars was always intending to be more than a 6 part saga. So maybe he had ideas for how his heroes would die in the later movies and maybe he urged anyone writing the EU not to depict their deaths because he's saving their deaths for later. I've always been curious to why this part of their lives has never actually been touched. I guess that now that someone new is holding the torch, this story can finally come true and I welcome it.

One of my big reservations about the news of new Star Wars movies set after ROTJ I heard back in October 2012 was the setting and timeline and the logistics of it all, like chances of retconning the EU, conflicting with established events, recasting, people's receptions of having the old gang back together etc.

To me if I was making new Star Wars movies I would've stayed away from the timeline any of the movies and would've set it either far in the past(KOTOR era/Old Republic era etc) or far in the future(Legacy era) and maybe literally go for what Joss Whedon was probably aiming for when he said "I wouldn’t go back, I’d go forward." It would've been cool to see a live action version of Cade Skywalker as well as only Luke back and taking on a mentor role like Obi-Wan/Yoda as a force ghost and be not too different of how they worked in Leonard Nimoy for the new Star Trek.

But if Michael Ardnt does a good job of doing a movie set in that specific era, I'd be ok with it.

I feel the overall theme for this movie should be the great "Passing of the Torch" and not just for the characters but for the people involved in making this movie. For this movie, it will be a guarantee that new characters will be joining us in the form of the last remaining children of the Skywalker/Solo clan.
    Like I speculated before I feel the movie should depict their deaths as

a) They're getting old and the actors probably don't have the years to be in this kind of role and Harrison Ford can finally have his wish of killing Han Solo.

b) Their deaths have never been depicted by any lore within the EU and I've always wondered why, and with these movies coming in 2015 it all makes sense. This kind of story is as "original" as they get without conflicting with any pre-established EU story. This would keep many fans happy. Seeing as there is a lot of room in the time space of 45 ABY-130+ABY you could still introduce new characters and make a great movie with new heroes in the form of Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo

As for everyone working behind the movies, George Lucas is of course handing the movies and collective Star Wars lore down to Abrams and it's a given we'll see Abrams do wonders. As for John Williams as he doesn't have many years left, so Episode VII should be a final hurrah for him.

It should be a collaboration between Williams and Giacchino where both of them would be submitting their own things and Williams teaching everything about the music of Star Wars(and others) to Giacchino. The in further Episodes/Spin-off movies it should be Giacchino + any others who are worthy enough.

It is actually possible to create good Star Wars-esque music without John Williams' involvement. Just look as the music they made for the KOTOR/TOR/Other games. Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-dzEeg1a0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pM2oBSbHA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TnI62dO6o or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Z0myGovPQ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUG7_2fkhY or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4wzUYzmTA

4. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

You're not too far off. When the NJO era was about to begin, they asked Lucas if they could kill off Luke in the book "Vector Prime", in order to inform readers that s**t was really going to hit the fan with the new villains. But Lucas basically told them to f**k off and gave the instruction that the big 3 and the droids were not to be touched. Hence Chewie getting the shaft.

5. smallville fan

WOW! I literally never knew that and just made an educated guess. Well it looks like I may end up being right after all and maybe if Luke and Co.'s deaths do happen in the sequel trilogy, I'll be happy knowing that I called it beforehand and I would have the bragging rights! :D

But yeah, if they are planning to head in that direction, having to break the news of Chewie's death to the mass of non-EU followers(ie the movie exclusive fans and general public) that Chewbacca's dead might cause some heart breaking and possibly hurt the movie.

I hope they give Luke a real warrior's death and maybe pay homage to Obi-Wan's death aboard the Death Star, giving a final nod to Jaina and Ben before dying by the new bad guy's hand, thus saving their lives and effectively "Passing the Torch" as the new heroes of the galaxy.

6. Gianakin_

Well, expect the EU to be diregarded. I assume Chewie will be alive and well.

7. iamlegend

iamlegend Que es eso?

Oh without a doubt. The EU didn't mean much of anything to Lucas himself, so there's no way it'll mean anything to Disney, who's remaking the brand as their own.

The only real question I have is whether or not the EU will continue as its own little continuity, or whether they'll "reboot" it.

8. Gianakin_

I'm guessing the latter.

9. smallville fan

What if they don't disregard the EU?

10. Gianakin_

Then you have the time period between "Legacy of the Force" and "Legacy" to cover. Which sounds pretty unexciting, tbh.

11. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Yeah, that 30 years worth of EU canon... probably gonna be completely gone with these films starting a new one.

12. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

I think it's unlikely too. As May the 4th seems mire fan based than anything. I don't really think Disney would shell out the bucks based on that.

But the wishful part of me would love a press conference with the official announcement of the return of the original cast.

13. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

May the 4th has been big with StarWars.com and Lucasfilm in the past I will admit that, they usually would always do something to a point. But it's hard to say, really early, and I kinda don't think like you said they will shell out the big bucks for it, especially this early.

I hope I'm wrong and they do something lol.

My wishlist would be:

1. Official Release Date
    2. Title of VII
    3. Announcement of Original Cast (though it is clear they are in it)

2 of those are maybe (slightly slightly possible) The title reveal ya that probably won't be till next year.

14. smallville fan

That was what I think they were aiming for. They probably didn't want to do too much with that era in time so they can freely make the movies.

Besides, I'm sure the respective deaths of Luke, Han and Leia are more than enough excitement.

15. Solouk

Solouk Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe, we might get all of the original cast there (including Ford) officially declaring they're back. As for anything else? Forget it. Too early. But, I could be wrong?

16. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I doubt they would release the title, but I could totally see them announcing the original cast is back on May 4th.

17. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Oh ya that's why I said wishlist lol.

However the date should be announced soon. That is not unrealistic I believe.

18. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I knew it was a wishlist. I wasn't arguing with you, just saying which of those wishes I thought might come true.

The date is also a possibility.

19. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I think a release date is possible too.

20. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

LOL I know you were not. I just re-stated it in case (more from some above) to make clear I am pessimistic about some things.

Ya that would be great. Even though we know they are in it. It would be awesome for a official statement.

21. NiteMare Shape

NiteMare Shape Livin' like a Sheen

Well, that would just flat out suck.

22. Victarion

Victarion Iron Captain

Not if there is meaning behind them. I'd prefer that sort of "poetic element" versus repeating dialogue verbatim (ie "I have a bad feeling about this.") as a poetic element. Its very premature, but I hope Lucas does behind the scenes commentary on the new films; I've always enjoyed that aspect of the PT/OT blu-rays.

23. Gianakin_

I wouldn't bet on it, though. Too much has happened in the EU that would tie Arndt's hands if they were to not disregard the post-RotJ era EU.

24. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

If anyone is expecting Abrams to kill one of the original trio in his film they are kidding themselves. It would be a big "**** you" to the young kids and the new fans who just got done watching han, luke, and leia kick the empire's ass and win in ROTJ. I mean what kind of way is that to start off a new star wars trilogy? There are much better ways to pass the torch than the lazy death of a beloved character for shock value.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  25. CGHulk

CGHulk Well-Known Member

ILM considering to open shop in London!
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...-london-office-star-wars-work-exclusive-88566

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.