The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh he looks a lot like him, but not at the same time. Han has that swagger, and that cockiness/dangerous edge to him. You have to have that aspect more then just looks. Harrison had a look in his eyes, and just the way he expressed his face as the charismatic yet possibly dangerous man. To me that guy just does not have that.

Harrison Ford is Harrison Ford- inimitable. Don't try.

There are people out there that I think could do it. So I'm never one of those types that "it can't be done".

I would say that Josh Holloway from Lost (even though Sawyer was based completely off of Han Solo) had that swagger down perfectly. Even in his eyes he did it very well. I would also say Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has that swagger and Han Solo type personality perfectly. He plays Jamie Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Now would these guys work for him? No mainly because their physical appearance is not close enough. The point is there are some actors that have that same vibe, and I'm sure there is someone out there that could do it. It will just require a long long casting call.

But there is no worries about it for now. Episode VII will have Harrison, so I don't even know why it's a worry with that film.

You guys should try find the new 'JJ Abrams' interview with Howard Stern on youtube. I can't post it here because of the cussing but it's funny how Stern stressed out how he hated the Prequels to JJ. Just hated them!

Last edited:
I would also say Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has that swagger and Han Solo type personality perfectly. He plays Jamie Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Good call. He'd definitely make a good Han Solo type.

You guys should try find the new 'JJ Abrams' interview with Howard Stern on youtube. I can't post it here because of the cussing but it's funny how Stern stressed out how he hated the Prequels to JJ. Just hated them!

I have it, but haven't listened yet.

I also want the film to keep that 70's/80's look.

So I don't want any of the actors to look too clean shaven. Shaggy hair, bedhead hair, and mustaches are okay in my book.

Aye, and no models pretending to be actors.

Well of course. Acting needs to be the first and foremost. I don't care if they are good looking, but as long as they as Octoberist said keep that rough look to a point. Harrison is still a stud.

The 70's was a strange decade. Now I've got bedhead hair myself, but it's for style.

But for people back then, it was the standard. I mean, you'll see professional newscasters with shaggy-arse hair, mutton chops and handlebars delivering the news on national television. And nobody would question it back then.

So Ron Burgundy for Episode VII? Yes please!

mnadburgundy.jpg

it's funny how Stern stressed out how he hated the Prequels to JJ. Just hated them!

But also JJ didn't defend those movies against Howard's criticism, in fact his response to it was: "yeah, that's history, which is good"

Last edited:
I would say that Josh Holloway from Lost (even though Sawyer was based completely off of Han Solo) had that swagger down perfectly. Even in his eyes he did it very well.
Totally agree. Josh really got it, and the character Sawyer had enough to make you like him, despite you also thinking what a selfish bastard he was at times :woot:. So i do remain hopeful that there's an actor out there who can do a young Han Solo some justice. I just pray that they find him lol.

Let's hope she's ready to face the crazy SW family that we all are lol. I'm hoping she brings some new as a gift ;)
419644_10151378517426787_34776636_n.jpg

Last edited:
There are people out there that I think could do it. So I'm never one of those types that "it can't be done".

I would say that Josh Holloway from Lost (even though Sawyer was based completely off of Han Solo) had that swagger down perfectly. Even in his eyes he did it very well. I would also say Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has that swagger and Han Solo type personality perfectly. He plays Jamie Lannister in Game of Thrones.

Now would these guys work for him? No mainly because their physical appearance is not close enough. The point is there are some actors that have that same vibe, and I'm sure there is someone out there that could do it. It will just require a long long casting call.

But there is no worries about it for now. Episode VII will have Harrison, so I don't even know why it's a worry with that film.
I think there's a fair few people who would be able to play the charismatic but dangerous guy very well (eg Josh Holloway as Sawyer as you mentioned) but to do it with the charm that Harrison Ford put into Han Solo & Indiana Jones is the real trick. And to me that's what makes those characters live forever. Another good actor of the time might have done fine in those roles but I don't know if they'd both be up there for all time best character 30 or so years later.

It's one of the hardest roles to live up to I can think of but I'll give whoever gets it a fair chance and it's fine if they're merely good in the role. After all even Harrison himself doesn't have those skills any more. :woot::csad:

Josh Holloway is 43. Harrison Ford was 35 in the first film. Holloway ain't a young Han Solo anymore.

Besides, most of these actors mentioned aren't as good of an actor as Ford. Not even close. Ford was Oscar nominated by the time he was 43.

Harrison Ford is not a great actor. He just plays himself in everything, Handsome Hero Guy.

Josh Holloway is 43. Harrison Ford was 35 in the first film. Holloway ain't a young Han Solo anymore.

Besides, most of these actors mentioned aren't as good of an actor as Ford. Not even close. Ford was Oscar nominated by the time he was 43.

Maybe you should read my post more carefully. No one said we wanted Holloway. We were talking about swagger, and the Han Solo esque of their subtle actions and the charisma.

Harrison Ford is not a great actor. He just plays himself in everything, Handsome Hero Guy.

it seems you've just by passed all the discussions about the strengths and weaknesses of Ford as an actor.

Ok, that's fine but lets talk about Young Ford.

Like what I said before, Young Ford had the ruggedness of a Stevr McQueen but with a unique understated vulnerability that only Ford can display and can be overlooked by some. He has used this vulnerability several times in the Star Wars films along with Indy.

Now Modern Ford, he really has to get pushed to get a decent performance out of him. Otherwise he would look bored and disinterested.

But with 42 and hopefully Enders Game will turn him around in the long run.

You can be a 'great actor' without being a great technical actor, and playing a 'type' very well can do that. Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson, Christopher Lee, etc were all irreplaceable in many of their seminal films, but only because of the presence that they bring. Ford is much the same.

You can still be a great actor even without a lot of range. I hate when people don't get this. Acting is not all about being unrecognizable from yourself. Screen presence, line delivery, physical acting, conveying of emotions etc. are all just as important.

Last edited:
Tobias in Episode VII?

Too good to be true.

There's loads of "Handsome Hero Guys" and almost none of them can play Han Solo like a young Ford did. Call it acting or call it something else but he was amazing as Han. And if it's not acting then maybe we don't need a great actor for his replacement, just someone who can bring the same kind of magic to the role.

Totally agree. Josh really got it, and the character Sawyer had enough to make you like him, despite you also thinking what a selfish bastard he was at times :woot:. So i do remain hopeful that there's an actor out there who can do a young Han Solo some justice. I just pray that they find him lol.

Let's hope she's ready to face the crazy SW family that we all are lol. I'm hoping she brings some new as a gift ;)
419644_10151378517426787_34776636_n.jpg

I am willing to bet something big will be announced. I was at Celebration six and Lucas was there and announced the Blur-rays

But also JJ didn't defend those movies against Howard's criticism, in fact his response to it was: "yeah, that's history, which is good"

Good to hear. I know he's trying to keep things professional and respectful now that he's working on a Star Wars film himself but it's nice to see the prequel hatred in there somewhere inside him. Makes me feel like I can trust him.

I'm shocked this hasn't been posted yet:

From last night's 'Jimmy Kimmel' with guest JJ Abrams, [BLACKOUT]featuring surprise appearances from Billy Dee Williams and William Shatner![/BLACKOUT]

[YT]sDkC_EkEUCg[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back