General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Thread Manager, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man in the Suit

Man in the Suit Greeting

2. Hyde

Hyde Ooga-Chaka

3. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

With that article, I believe it due to Drew. Keep in mind that Drew (of Hitfix) was the one who leaked out info on "Cloverfield" and "Star Trek". He knows a lot, and out of respect for Abrams, he's not going to spoil Star Wars 7. In other words, he knows what's he talking about:

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...ors-are-complete-nonsense#Wtq0WyVlBduAbqBy.99

And it looks like they already have set up some awesome set pieces.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Not to bait but this is for Smallville Fan. I couldn't help it.

5. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

While I agree its bologna, McWeeney is the same guy who said Goyer wasn't writing Man of Steel and Khan wasn't the Star Trek Into Darkness villain... "because J.J. Abrams had never lied to him before."

6. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

That's true too. Though I think with the Star Wars thing, he's in the right. Then again, it's so damn obvious too.

7. georgec

georgec Not a hero

Physical sets, eh? I like the sound of that.

That's the thing about TPM - they filmed much of it on location and in sets they built. It felt more like a SW movie even if it had major flaws. But AOTC and ROTS leaned more heavily on greenscreens and it showed.

8. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

In many ways, you can skip out on TPM, but out of the flawed prequels, TPM was the most beautiful. I'll give them that.

Man, I watch Episode 3 on Spike the other day. It's not aging well. Well to me it's not.

9. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

I think it's BS. Even the character bios aren't consistent. Jaina is the "Best is the galaxy" while Jacen is "best in the world"?

It's not true, and I just don't see them wasting idea of building a new world and a new film mythology by making 2 EU characters main characters.

10. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Like what I said before, what 'world'? And boy, this Jacen must suck since he's only good planet-wise. His sister is the galaxy's best.

11. Fives

Fives Well-Known Member

I'm pretty glad that it's not a true story. I think I much prefer them to go on, and create their own story. I think the movie will benefit from being more of an original story, and not an adaption of another story.

12. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I think everyone's just hungry for some news. I wouldn't be surprised though if we heard SOMETHING by the end of the Summer, be it at Comic Con or Star Wars Celebration.

Especially for the lead role that may require a few months of prep time and training.

13. Fives

Fives Well-Known Member

Yeah I expect at least some kind of news, be it casting or otherwise from one of the summer conventions. If we don't get any news out of SW Celebration I'll be pretty disappointed lol.

14. Carnotaur3

Carnotaur3 Well-Known Member

He doesn't make it seem like his sources in this case have to do with JJ.

15. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

Well, that settles that.

16. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Celebration will be it in terms of the next big announcement.

17. Batspider77

Batspider77 "SPOILER JUNKIE"

18. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

To be fair Doug was probably designing what Lucas wanted with the first two prequels: Clean. I'm sure this one around, Abrams wants a more OT with a new twist. But yes, what I do like about the OT designs were the industrial look. All the guts showing on the surface, kinda clunky, weary from war. Looks like they were built in a factor in masses.

Also iain Ccraig is extremely talented and could bring balance to Doug's aquired designs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  19. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Glad to know some set pieces are already being built. It's exciting. And I think if there is going to be any announcements, it will be at the Celebration. Didn't Anthony Daniels say Kennedy was going to be there in person? Also with the announcement of these guys returning and being at the Celebration, there seems to be a possibility that something will happen.

20. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Looks like Kennedy will be there and will be bringing in people from the new movies. With Doug Chaig and Ian McCraig (the art concept designers), both were announced for Celebration, handpicked by Kennedy for the new Star Wars films.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced 'surprise guests' soon.

21. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I almost forgot: Because of the news of the return of the prequel concept artists (keep in mind, they were only told what to do with the prequels. ie shiny and clean), that means that we may not need the overly-used and often generic Nevelle Page*! Yah!

*I like his humanoid designs for Star Trek, but I hate his big creature-alien designs overall (Avatar, Super 8)

22. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Actually I love a lot of the artwork for the PT. The execution may have been another story, and the direction he wanted to go may not have been as OT as we may have wanted. But I will give credit to their creature designs, environments ect ect. I actually am very happy for the news, we should get some great design from them. Especially with what direction they want to go now.

23. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

You're right. The actual concept art for the Prequels are remarkably beautiful.

24. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

JJ talks a bit about Episode VII

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/j-j-abrams-wanted-michael-arndt-before-star-wars_3721042

Interesting tidbits, about a love story, and more importantly that he wants to approach it in a different way.

25. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

You mean not in the way of overwrought melodrama, like the prequels? Please do, JJ. :o:up:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.