General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Thread Manager, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roach

roach I am the night

"For over a thousand generations, the Jedi knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic"

Maybe I am reading too much into this phrase but I always assumed there were numerous before the Empire.
    In Revenge of the Sith...Palpatine said the Jedi attacked him. He used this to fuel the perception that they were terrorists and charlatans. Everything related to the Jedi was destroyed and public opinion turned against them. This is why 20 years later few people know about the force. An imperial officer can mock Vader to his face.

2. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

No. The Jedi were extinct. The order was no more period. Just Obi-Wan and Yoda were left. The last of an era. If you make it where there is a full Jedi Order you are doing nothing but copying the PT. The PT already had a fledgling Jedi Order, and the OT had it demolished and no more. To have a little bit of an Order (not a lot) makes sense. They are in the early stages of rebuilding it. And from a philosophical standpoint that is what the Jedi should have learned from the PT. Being too close to the seats of power are what caused their downfall. Their masters are The Force. Not governments.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  3. roach

roach I am the night

While I agree that they should not be a large organization in the new trilogy...I think a fledgling government would like to reclaim old symbols to inspire the people and give them hope. Luke Skywalker was a hero of the rebellion and a Jedi. I see politicians using him as a rallying point...and may even try to get him to have an part in the government...people love a war hero...and I see this may be where some of the tension between Luke and the new Government may come from. They want him to be the symbol of the new government and he may just want to restart the order or just want to do good and not be so political.
    I know people were tired of politics in the PT but let's be honest the OT was about politics...just not the boring type.

4. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Look at my last post to Bim. I agree. It is about politics int he OT, just executed way better.

On to your other points. We have to look at it this way though. The government may very well want the Jedi back. This is true. But does Luke? He may feel his powers/responsibility lies beyond the hope in government. And giving hope in a another way. Luke may feel he belongs elsewhere. Not many will understand what he is. Or what he's trying to do. He is the only Jedi really. So he may slink into the shadows for a while, while he rebuilds the Order. Again being so fragile, it would be easy out in the open for the Sith to attack and destroy the Jedi once again. Especially young inexperienced Jedi which most of them will be.

Luke may follow what the Force tell him to do.

5. roach

roach I am the night

Thats exactly what I said

6. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I know. I'm expanding on it. ;)

7. roach

roach I am the night

did we just become best friends??:woot::woot::woot:

8. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

It may be the begining of a friendship. Will one of us fall to the Dark Side and betray the other though? :oldrazz::jedi:jedi

9. roach

roach I am the night

You were my brother!!!!

10. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Now I am the master!

11. roach

roach I am the night

only a master of evil

12. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Is there any better master?

13. Nathan

Nathan ...

What I'm imagining right now.

[​IMG]

14. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

LOL See Roach the Dark Side is stronger!

15. roach

roach I am the night

if you strike me down.....i'll be dead

16. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

With the new movies, it's tricky because you don't want to disregard and negate what Luke and his band has done for the galaxy. Nor do you want a retrend.

I guess the best way looking at it is, if the Original Trilogy was World War 2, then the new Trilogy should be like the Cold War. Sure the Cold War wasn't a full out war (though, you can argue that the Korean and Vietnam War were results of it right?) but it had its own verses the two World Wars. It's spy vs spy espionage than a full on battle. A new conflict, but different set in a new era.

I'm not saying that the new trilogy should be 'spy' ridden but my point is that there ways to evolve the story, and a modern conflict that is different enough from the past.

17. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but why do i need to be defended? :huh: lol. People can disagree with me, i'm not that insecure :cwink: and i'm not here to try and convince anyone of anything either, so dont worry :yay:. Besides, i'm a woman and extremely dangerous when hormonal, so i doubt anyone would dare mess with me or i'm coming after their geeky butts :jedi

I dunno, i think it's unavoidable to have a big chunk of politics in this new trilogy. My hope is that they dont shy a way from it. Whether people like the execution or not, that's a different story, and as usual agreements and disagreements will come from that lol. And i'm thinking if Leia is in this, we'll see her immersed in the politics. Do you guys think we'll see Leia embracing some kind of jedi training, or will she shy from it and stick to just politics?

I think the jedi's downfall was that they allowed the politics to put them in a vulnerable spot. Mace said it in AOTC: "We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers", and yet they allowed themselves to become soldiers during the clone wars. Of course, that's exactly what the sith in command wanted, but they shouldnt have put themselves in that position.

Let's see how Luke (hopefully!) learns from that. One can only hope Obi left him some recordings or something telling him what happened to the Order as a whole, that would be kinda cool.

I'm seeing a bromance brewing between Solidus and roach, awww lol :oldrazz:

18. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

Maybe I should have also put next to (defend you) is that I agree with that lol. Because I think too politics need to be a part of SW but in more of the way the OT did it. Subtle and integrated.

But yes Roach is Obi-Wan and I'm Anakin. He will still love me no matter what I do. Instead of killing Jedi children I went to his backyard breaking his prequel DVD/Blu-ray's in half laughing hysterically. Even when he throws me into a lake of fire my last words will be "I hate the PREQUELS!!!"

But in the end after we all are dead, he will still want to chill with me ghost style on Endor. :oldrazz:

Wait why am I the bad guy in this? :woot:

19. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

People tend to distrust what they don't understand. Having the Jedi be this mysterious group off on their own is going to make people distrust them and be suspicious, it just will. It happens all the time in real life. How many "cults" are feared largely because they are isolated and unknown, quite a few. Also, being more public and open is NOT THE SAME as being involved in politics.

20. Nathan

Nathan ...

Do you have a thing for being disciplined? That might be why.

21. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

It's hard to tell. Again being out in the open is dangerous as well. People may remember in the history books and have been brainwashed for years by the Empire that Jedi were to blame for everything starting the war, and trying to destroy everything they stood for. So again being only one man, to sit out in the open can be very dangerous. Cults if they become big enough, become religions a power in themselves. But staying low key for many major religions is how many started, even the big three in today's world. They were seen as cults because they were small, so being more open about it usually got people killed (See Rome).

So being in the shadows would be better until they could stand on their own.

22. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

LOL Not to my knowledge.

23. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

The key thing to me to NOT make the Jedi the status quo. It does take away the 'working class' vibe that worked so well from the original trilogy.

I do like the idea that the common folk are fearful of having the Jedi as diplomats or political figures, so they're almost taboo.

I have a theory though: Luke's son (if this is the case) is a guy who turned his back on The Force; while the daughter of the Solos is willing to learn the ways of the Force, but her parents are iffy on it.

24. roach

roach I am the night

I'm the bad guy. I am the one who knocks......down the old republic

25. Great Mind(s)

Great Mind(s) Broken

I hope there's a lot more non-Jedi characters. We were missing those in the PT. I want a female Han Solo type character...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.