The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well even Lucas admitted back in 81, that Yoda was not a warrior. And he wanted to convey that. Read Rinzler's ROTJ making of book. He even claimed he was more of a wizard, a yoga instructor, he was beyond weapons. A lot of this was George's own words. So originally no Jedi did not need to have weapons, there were various types. And he even said that Yoda was "beyond" weapons an so forth. Which I agree with 1981 George, not "now" George.

To me what Yoda was in the OT was changed somewhat. And I never personally cared for it.

I think every Jedi is trained on how to use the lightsaber, so they use them when they have to. It's about being in a time of war and an obligation to use the lightsaber. I'm not talking originally, I'm talking about what's set in stone now. Yoda was not a warrior at that point, because he didn't have to be anymore. There was no one on Dagobah to defend himself against. Personally, I don't see the problem, because it's a very realistic thing for someone to go through.

Last edited:
Yoda wasn't bred to be a warrior. He trained on a farm.

He became something other than what society had intended.

A Jedi who fights with a lightsaber. :oldrazz:

lmao!

Little did he know that in time, Luke would join him in the swamp.

I think every Jedi is trained on how to use the lightsaber, so they use them when they have to. It's about being in a time of war and an obligation to use the lightsaber. I'm not talking originally, I'm talking about what's set in stone now. Yoda was not a warrior at that point, because he didn't have to be anymore. There was no one on Dagobah to defend himself against. Personally, I don't see the problem, because it's a very realistic thing for someone to go through.

I doubt every species can use one. Plinket did make a good observation about that especially the Jedi Master with "no legs". I am talking about what was originally done. For many years it was implied he was for the most part beyond all that stuff.

I doubt every species can use one. Plinket did make a good observation about that especially the Jedi Master with "no legs". I AM talking about what was originally done. For many years it was implied he was for the most part beyond all that stuff.

I know what you are talking about, and I am talking about what is set in stone now. Not about what was done originally. Especially something that was never outright said in the older movies.

All I'm saying is that it makes sense for Yoda to be fighting in the Clone Wars.

I don't understand how this is a problem. Yes when he was in Dagobah he was beyond fighting….however I don't think we saw all of Luke's training and he had to have learned lightsaber fencing from Yoda somehow.

I know what you are talking about, and I am talking about what is set in stone now. Not about what was done originally. Especially something that was never outright said in the older movies.

All I'm saying is that it makes sense for Yoda to be fighting in the Clone Wars.

I'm not against the fighting per se, it's just I think it would have been better for him to be using the Force and unique Force powers never seen before. I did not care much for him jumping around fighting, it was just awkward. I just always (and to a point still do) see Yoda beyond that, where it's just weak compared to what he can do with The Force.

I'm not against the fighting per se, it's just I think it would have been better for him to be using the Force and unique Force powers never seen before. I did not care much for him jumping around fighting, it was just awkward. I just always (and to a point still do) see Yoda beyond that, where it's just weak compared to what he can do with The Force.

therein lies the problem…no movie will trump people's imaginations.

therein lies the problem…no movie will trump people's imaginations.

No, that's not true at all. And a weak PT defense point. It had nothing to do with one's imagination, but one's view of a character.

No, that's not true at all. And a weak PT defense point. It had nothing to do with one's imagination, but one's view of a character.

Exactly…how you viewed the character based on your interpretation of him. Nothing in Empire Strikes Back leads anyone to believe that Yoda never used a lightsaber.

Exactly…how you viewed the character based on your interpretation of him. Nothing in Empire Strikes Back leads anyone to believe that Yoda never used a lightsaber.

Yes, my interpretation. And it never hinted he did either. But it's neither here nor there. It is what it is now.

We did see him interact with force lightning in a way we'd never seen before, but I suppose more could've been cool.

I'm completely with Solidus on this one. Yoda was presented as the legendary Kung Fu master from those old movies where he could take out a guy without standing up from his chair and the new trilogy ruined that by having him jumping and flipping around like a squirrel.

Comparing PT Yoda to a squirrel works for me, lol.

Here's the thing. While I think the Yoda fighting was 'fun' in the Prequels, that was the only highlight of that darn character. There were so many magical moments with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back. Meanwhile in the prequels Yoda was a complete non-character; a total stoic bore.

One or two fun fight scenes does not make up for his speeches and lifting that X-Wing out of the swamp.

All of that is understandable, and if you don't like Yoda fighting, you don't like it. But you can't say it was "fan-servicey" or didn't fit. It was the Clone Wars, so him fighting with a lightsaber fit just fine.

In fact, Yoda is much better in The Clone Wars than his portrayal in the prequels.

Here's the thing. While I think the Yoda fighting was 'fun' in the Prequels, that was the only highlight of that darn character. There were so many magical moments with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back. Meanwhile in the prequels Yoda was a complete non-character; a total stoic bore.

One or two fun fight scenes does not make up for his speeches and lifting that X-Wing out of the swamp.

I think everything you said is kind of emblematic of the problems people have with the prequel trilogy as a whole.

I think the thing is you guys are looking at Yoda as the same character and I am looking at him like two different characters. Yoda before the purge is not the same person as Yoda after. Yoda led the Jedi Order and it failed. While on exile he felt every Jedi die through the force. He only has one purpose left and that's to teach Luke.
The Yoda before the purge is a warrior. Even Luke mentions this in ESB. He leads an organization whose job is to keep the peace. He wasn't always Master Yoda and at some time was Jedi Knight Yoda and even Padawan Yoda.

I'm completely with Solidus on this one. Yoda was presented as the legendary Kung Fu master from those old movies where he could take out a guy without standing up from his chair and the new trilogy ruined that by having him jumping and flipping around like a squirrel.

The RLM review for AOTC basically nails this point where it takes Yoda's speech to Luke in ESB about feeling the Force around him and splices in clips from AOTC and the prequels that contradict Yoda's teachings.

The RLM review for AOTC basically nails this point where it takes Yoda's speech to Luke in ESB about feeling the Force around him and splices in clips from AOTC and the prequels that contradict Yoda's teachings.

damn I started this didn't I.

I don't think this is much of a contradiction and more in line that Yoda while in exile learned things about the force he didn't know before. He may have learned that Qui-gon's view of the force was correct and it's why he has a differing view from AOTC to ESB. It was during this exile that Yoda and Obi wan learned the Jedi force ghost thing.

All of that is understandable, and if you don't like Yoda fighting, you don't like it. But you can't say it was "fan-servicey" or didn't fit. It was the Clone Wars, so him fighting with a lightsaber fit just fine.

He could fight with the Force. Just because it's a war does not mean all of them have to run around with Lightsabers. The point was in the OT of Yoda, is that not all Jedi are alike. There are many paths to a Jedi. It was to a point fan service, because it felt like George just had to give everyone a lightsaber. I'm shocked Jar Jar did not have one. Sidious mysteriously never used it in ROTJ either. But in the PT he did. To me it was more of a "let's have more lightsaber fights' ala more so fan service. Which I'm all for Lightsaber fights, but there was sometimes not enough "different" type of battles within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"