The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting to warm up to the Boba Fett spin off.

P.S If Ewan McGregor plays Force ghost Obi Wan in episode 7, they better use makeup to make him look like OT Obi Wan, played amazing by the late, great, Alec Guinness .

I don't see why Obi Wan couldn't just choose to look younger.

In regards to the Boba rumor... I'm not a fan of the PT nor clone Boba, and I do kinda like the idea of OT Boba being a different person. However, there's an issue with having him kill the PT Boba and stealing his armor. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. It actually makes OT Boba seem more like a punk.

Actually the armor isn't as big of an issue as stealing the name. I mean, was he not good enough to make it as a bounty hunter on his own merits? He had to steal someone else's identity? If he's really supposed to be this big badass bounty hunter, he shouldn't feel the need to pose as someone else. It makes him a phony and not as cool. I'm sure in the bounty hunter guild, stealing another bounty hunters identity would probably be about as low as you can go and wouldn't be respected in the least.

Last edited:
Well first the armor is kinda attached to the name of Boba Fett, he is known and feared by that armor. So taking on his name would not rellly be an issue. Being a Bounty Hunter, the less that is known about you the better, and the name has probably driven fear/respect into people, why would one not use it? There is no "bounty hunter" guild lol. Bounty hunters in nature are scum....Piette did not like them, and called them scum himself. They are rag tag people that do dirty jobs, that work for themselves and no one else. Taking his ship and armor is all he needs to attain the respect and fear of the name/Armor. The bounty hunter aspect in the OT kinda pushed that they are travelers that just do work for money, nothing more.

I wonder if Disney celebrated after hearing the Superman/Batman news ? The WB just handed Disney the 2015 crown

Could turn out to be a legacy thing. The rumor says that he kills Fett and takes the armor but there may very well be more to it than that. Maybe clone Fett passes the torch to the new guy.

Could turn out to be a legacy thing. The rumor says that he kills Fett and takes the armor but there may very well be more to it than that. Maybe clone Fett passes the torch to the new guy.

Ya there are many possibilities.

Episode VII is THE move of 2015 now in my opinion. I mean I'm sure Avengers 2 will be good, but we're talking the first post-Jedi Star Wars movie here. It's not even close in terms of my anticipation.

I'm just curious as to how this will fare with teenagers.

They are the easiest to capture in terms of marketing I'd say for a film like this. SW will be huge with most groups.

Sigh.

I use to enjoy these boards. They were relatively free of all this OT vs. PT. It's funny how the old debate sparked up over a character, which if you get right down to it, was originally written as a plot device. Someone to capture Solo for Vader to use as a trap for Luke.

Anyway, haven't commented on the big three being more of a focus of Episode VII. I'm surprised. I would think JJ would like to follow the OT formula and make the focus on a new next generation big three (with at least one being of Skywalker bloodline) and the old big three support. Not just some brief cameo, but actual supporting role like Obi-Wan in A New Hope.

Sigh.

I use to enjoy these boards. They were relatively free of all this OT vs. PT. It's funny how the old debate sparked up over a character, which if you get right down to it, was originally written as a plot device. Someone to capture Solo for Vader to use as a trap for Luke.

Anyway, haven't commented on the big three being more of a focus of Episode VII. I'm surprised. I would think JJ would like to follow the OT formula and make the focus on a new next generation big three (with at least one being of Skywalker bloodline) and the old big three support. Not just some brief cameo, but actual supporting role like Obi-Wan in A New Hope.

See that is rumor though, the most common thread and LR actually re-stated some of this was that Luke/Han/Leia had like one scene in Episode VII originally and it focused on Han's kids in the forefront. What JJ changed was increasing Luke's part more so, and it focusing on Luke's kid more so. The thing that most forget is that all the casting calls even as of last month for all the new people are for "Lead/Main" roles. Not supporting. THR went overboard on what they said. Luke will be a big part of it, but the new generation is apparently from casting still the main/lead roles. But having Luke intertwined with everything is important to "passing on the torch". Having a dynamic relationship with the next generation is better then just a wink and a nod cameo. Luke is a proactive character he's not just going to "sit it out".

See that is rumor though, the most common thread and LR actually re-stated some of this was that Luke/Han/Leia had like one scene in Episode VII originally and it focused on Han's kids in the forefront. What JJ changed was increasing Luke's part more so, and it focusing on Luke's kid more so. The thing that most forget is that all the casting calls even as of last month for all the new people are for "Lead/Main" roles. Not supporting. THR went overboard on what they said. Luke will be a big part of it, but the new generation is apparently from casting still the main/lead roles. But having Luke intertwined with everything is important to "passing on the torch". Having a dynamic relationship with the next generation is better then just a wink and a nod cameo. Luke is a proactive character he's not just going to "sit it out".

That is more of what I'm hoping. I just wasn't able to comment when the initial rumor came out. And yes, as you mention, Luke's role intertwined as passing the torch would mirror Obi-Wan in ANH. :up:

Speaking of which, I still want Ewan to get that Obi-Wan spin off! :up:

Yes for a good read please go to the BvS board.

That Boba Fett spin off rumor is probably horse **** otherwise Kasdan is being foolish. I don't care how much he wants to erase the Prequels. Kasdan is forgetting that Boba Fett is voiced by Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett) in the new special edition of ESB. That can only be changed by Lucas and Fox, and Lucas isn't about to change that back to the original voice actor nor is Fox. Hate the prequels or not they exist, and I don't want Kasdan creating more continuity errors because he's ********* by the prequels. They irritated me too, but it's done. Move on.

Last edited:
Episode VII is THE move of 2015 now in my opinion. I mean I'm sure Avengers 2 will be good, but we're talking the first post-Jedi Star Wars movie here. It's not even close in terms of my anticipation.

No. No no no no no.
In sales, it'll probably beat out the Avengers because even the terrible episodes 1,2 and 3 did incredibly well for some reason. But Abrams is nowhere near as good as Whedon, and the director is going to have the most significant impact on the quality of the movie.

No. No no no no no.
In sales, it'll probably beat out the Avengers because even the terrible episodes 1,2 and 3 did incredibly well for some reason. But Abrams is nowhere near as good as Whedon, and the director is going to have the most significant impact on the quality of the movie.

I disagree that Whedon is clearly better than Abrams. If you think he's better then that's fine.

That Boba Fett spin off rumor is probably horse **** otherwise Kasdan is being foolish. I don't care how much he wants to erase the Prequels. Kasdan is forgetting that Boba Fett is voiced by Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett) in the new special edition of ESB. That can only be changed by Lucas and Fox, and Lucas isn't about to change that back to the original voice actor nor is Fox. Hate the prequels or not they exist, and I don't want Kasdan creating more continuity errors because he's ********* by the prequels. They irritated me too, but it's done. Move on.

That's completely untrue. Fox does not have the majority control of ESB or ROTJ, ANH ya, but trust me they will work a deal with Disney. Lucas has no say in anything anymore, remember that he sold all the rights with LFL, and they have the final say? This was quoted and talked about in early 2013 by Business Insider and the whole Disney Buying LFL ordeal. There has already been lots of rumblings from blu-ray sites that yes probably in the next year or so we will get the theatrical cuts restored on blu. You do know the theatrical cuts are available on DVD? Though sadly laser disc quality.

And these are not continuity errors at all. Lucas retconned the entire thing changing his voice. This will allow the PT to stay intact but let us have the original voice.

Disney and Kathy have the final say in it. And Fox will do anything to make money off of new editions surrounding the hype of Episode VII. So yes ESB can only be changed by Lucasfilm Limited. No longer owned/controlled by Lucas.

That and Kasdan was rumored to be working on this in late 2012, who was hired by Lucas. So I'm sure Lucas knew about this whole ordeal.

Last edited:
I disagree that Whedon is clearly better than Abrams. If you think he's better then that's fine.

It's a trade off.

I think Whedon is great at writing, but so-so at directing. Whereas JJ is okay to fine with his writing, but he's pretty darn good at directing.

In many ways, they're cut from the same cloth. Just with different sensibilities.

Ya I agree, I think Whedon is the better writer, but he has room to improve as a director, and vice versa with JJ. JJ has room to improve as a writer (which is good that we still have Kasdan) but as a director JJ is top notch.

Both are great, but they each have as Octoberist said varying qualities.

JJ wrote Regarding Henry, and I loved that movie when I was younger. :yay:

But yea I agree regarding Whedon and JJ. H

Hey, how about Whedon writing a SW movie directed by JJ. Eh?

JJ wrote Regarding Henry, and I loved that movie when I was younger. :yay:

But yea I agree regarding Whedon and JJ. H

Hey, how about Whedon writing a SW movie directed by JJ. Eh?

Maybe, sometimes though he is amazing I just wonder how he would do writing SW. Sometimes I don't think he would be the best fit for it. Maybe one of the spin-off's, but I'd be afraid of it being filled with too much, quick wit type of stuff.

I have a morbid curiosity to go to those boards. But I'm actually kind of glad of the move. It gives some damn breathing room for 2015. Avengers 2 and mother****ing Episode 7 are more than enough to get me excited about next year.

EDIT: The first five pages of that thread are absolutely hilarious. :lmao: I mean, it sucks for the people who were excited, but the reactions are priceless.

It's not funny. :cmad: :(

Maybe, sometimes though he is amazing I just wonder how he would do writing SW. Sometimes I don't think he would be the best fit for it. Maybe one of the spin-off's, but I'd be afraid of it being filled with too much, quick wit type of stuff.
Probably, but I do think Whedon could pull off a more serious script without too much reliance on those kinds of one-liners.

Probably, but I do think Whedon could pull off a more serious script without too much reliance on those kinds of one-liners.

He very well could, and maybe some day he will get his chance.

now that Superman/Batman has been delayed, SW is now my next most anticipated movie ( after Godzilla, of course ).

so, it better be mind blowingly spectacular!!

and the female lead better be hot.

:o

Mine is still DoFP in the interim, and depending on how that goes it might end up being Age of Apocalypse.

But among those, SW, Avengers 2, and MoS 2, how could anyone not be excited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"