General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Solidus, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I prefer the OT because it was a more cynical era in that universe, where people were ignorant to the Force.

2. OptimusPrime114

OptimusPrime114 Well-Known Member

Well, the Jedi Order was near extinct.

3. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I think with the era of the OT, any Jedi Knight or Jedi figure that showed up after Vader's defeat felt more special since they weren't just one of many jedis out there. Given the few numbers of force users left before Luke had reestablished the Jedi Order back to its prime, any Jedi that showed up was allowed to really have their own personality and identity that wasn't consumed by the vastness of the Jedi Order.

4. NewYorkSpider

Was it ever explained why Obi-Wan never used his force-speed to get to Qui-Gon and Maul? Earlier in the movie you saw both of them super speed out of harms way. Was it just a general mistake?

5. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I've always figured it was so he wouldn't go SMACK into the red force fields.

6. TheWiseGuy487

TheWiseGuy487 Electrifying!

7. Batspider77

Batspider77 "SPOILER JUNKIE"

8. steintym

steintym Stay Frosty

9. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

The more I think about it, does anyone wish the Jedi Order had been a bit more...exclusive. Don't get me wrong, I love the prequels for the most part, but I think a couple hundred Jedi may ahve been cooler than the known few thousand because of the effect it would have had on the OT.

In the OT, we get the Jedi as traitors, the Force as a lost magic of a different time, but when you look back, it turns out that the Jedi have only been gone for around 19 years, and it makes everything feel less...legendary I guess. I guess I like to imagine Obi-wan as being older than he is, having been a younger Jedi who was part of the final days of the Order, while Yoda had seen several generations of Jedi. And also less Jedi I think would have made Vader's conquest more impressive sicne surely the Order would have been powerful with their limited numbers.

Again, I think things are fine the way they are, but as a kid, the OT always seemed at least 20 years or more distant (roughly 40 years rather than 20) and the Jedi as a much more legendary Order than what we got.

10. steintym

steintym Stay Frosty

There's definitely something to that. Watching the OT, the Jedi seemed like this mysterious, exclusive group and it almost even seemed like their existence was questionable by some.

Jump to the PT and it seems like every other individual has force abilities and everyone at least knows a Jedi (I'm obviously exaggerating ... a bit).

11. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

The way i see it, it's likely that Palpatine went out of his way to make sure the jedi became a distant memory after the events of ROTS. Also, we must remember that he made it out to appear that the jedi betrayed the Republic and tried to kill innocent, poor him. Only a few people knew what really happened and who Palpatine really was. I can see the stories about the jedi become distorted for better and/or worse the more time passed by. Some likely viewed them as traitors while others regarded them highly, with some of the younger generation not even knowing all that much about them and other simply not caring or believing anything about them and their suposed abilities, seeing them as ancient and a weird religion of sorts (Han Solo, i'm loking at u! :oldrazz:).

The PT is about the jedi in better times (i wouldnt call it their prime either), while the OT shows what was left after Order 66, which wasnt all that much.

12. NewYorkSpider

It's not like those force fields were on and off for seconds. I think he had time to get through there. He ran all the way untill the last one closed on him.

13. FCEEVIPER

FCEEVIPER Rubber bullets. Honest

14. Black Narcissus

Black Narcissus Pimp a Butterfly

Anyone seen the movie fanboys?

What if it sucks?

15. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

I wouldn't go that far necessarily, but it is true that the Jedi seemed a little too exposed in the prequels. I never got the sense that they were as numerous and governing when they're referred to in the OT, which would have made the skepticism about the force and the almost mythic depiction of the Jedi more believable. It wasn't that long ago in movie time that the Jedi were around and played such a huge part in governing/leading stuff.

16. Viral

Viral Well-Known Member

17. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

Lol, Carrie's whacky as always.Yeah, her and Mark are locks.

18. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Was she always been funny and charismatic back in her younger days?

BTW she doesn't look too bad now actually.

19. Gianakin_

No, she doesn't. And her voice isn't what people are saying it is. She sounds fine for an elder woman. She'll be fine, I don't expect her to have any bkini scenes, anyways.

20. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

21. Gianakin_

It's all good, Disney will get her into shape. She'll be fine.

22. mr. peasant

mr. peasant Well-Known Member

It's funny how some people seem to think that being out of shape is simply due to a lack of effort or desire on the person's part. If she has been struggling with her weight, then there could be any number of factors contributing. God knows she certainly has the time, money and resources to do something about it. Disney can't simply will it into existence just because they want to. Contrary to what it feels like sometimes, Disney doesn't rule the universe.

23. Gianakin_

Well, I don't mean they're gonna turn her into her 1983 self. But a scheduled diet and stuff like that are sure to yield SOME results, that's all. And that's if the role requires something like this.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  24. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I'm with Giankin here. I wouldn't be surprised if her and Mark were told to get back in decent shape, especially Mark. Thats how this business works and Mark and Carrie know the game, especially Carrie.

Not to single out Mark but he'll have a more physical role. Not to Jackie Chan levels but he's going to do some action scenes for sure.

25. Gianakin_

I think so, too. Mark will probably turn on a lightsaber. No need to move like Guinness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.