The Force Awakens General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, last I heard the CW animated series 2D and the new 3D are canon. When I was at the SDCC the CW producers were asked many times if the new CW animated shows were canon and they said yes. They stated Lucas was approving stories and it was/is going to be SW canon. Not EU.

I know the CN series is canon, but I'm not sure about that Clone Wars animated series they had before it. I could have sworn I heard that it wasn't... not sure, though.

I'm sure some did, but it was not the legacy that the first ones were. Sorry. LOTR and TDK were the defining legacies of this decade not Star Wars.
I was part of this decade's generation and i don't think any Star Wars film could have defined it as much as new movies, i think the franchise that defined the decade the most was Harry Potter, without a doubt. If i could name the franchises that have marked more the last years with good stories, characters and unique universe i would say that the 60s had The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the 80s were marked by Star Wars, and 2000s were marked by Harry Potter.

Each one of these 3 changed the rules, be it in literature or cinema, and each one had a compelling universe that made people dream again.

I don't see how the Prequels not being as successful as Harry Potter is a reason to reboot them, there were still new fans, i know people became fans because of them. I say, just move on, if anything The Clone Wars compensates for it as it's high in canon and shows a cool and heroic Anakin that you can believe could fall and become Darth Vader.

Oh, yeah, wasn't there supposed to be a TV series? Whatever happened to that?

Don't think they had the money to back Lucas' vision, but now that Disney is funding everything I'm eagerly anticipating a new live-action series as well as an animated one.

I know the CN series is canon, but I'm not sure about that Clone Wars animated series they had before it. I could have sworn I heard that it wasn't... not sure, though.
The CW show is EU but in a high level of canon, every EU material is canon until contradicted by a material that is higher in canon.

LOL, that is epically cheesy. :woot:

It does. If you look close enough during the licking scene, you can see some of the actor that played Lizard's face and tongue flicking towards the girl. That must've been an awkward scene to film. :funny:

It does. If you look close enough during the licking scene, you can see some of the actor that played Lizard's face and tongue flicking towards the girl. That must've been an awkward scene to film. :funny:

Haha, yeah I caught that. That makes it even funnier.

I was part of this decade's generation and i don't think any Star Wars film could have defined it as much as new movies, i think the franchise that defined the decade the most was Harry Potter, without a doubt. If i could name the franchises that have marked more the last years with good stories, characters and unique universe i would say that the 60s had The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, the 80s were marked by Star Wars, and 2000s were marked by Harry Potter.

Each one of these 3 changed the rules, be it in literature or cinema, and each one had a compelling universe that made people dream again.

I don't see how the Prequels not being as successful as Harry Potter is a reason to reboot them, there were still new fans, i know people became fans because of them. I say, just move on, if anything The Clone Wars compensates for it as it's high in canon and shows a cool and heroic Anakin that you can believe could fall and become Darth Vader.

Eh, the show is not that great. Honestly, there is still like I said more old fans then new. So to me, they should still do it. But this is the Episode VII discussion not reboot of Ep I-III.

The CW show is EU but in a high level of canon, every EU material is canon until contradicted by a material that is higher in canon.

Do you mean this show?

star_wars_clone_wars-show.jpg

Or this show?

Star-Wars-The-Clone-Wars-Season-3-Episode-22.jpg

Do you mean this show?

Or this show?

Both. And yes last I heard both were canon.

From Lucas:

"This is Star Wars, and I don’t make a distinction between [Clone Wars] and the films," Lucas said in an interview released by SciFiNow - a science-fiction enthusiast magazine based in the UK - during last season.

Do you mean this show?

Or this show?

The CGI one, Lucas did mention that the 2D one show was like the pilot to the new one, and they even tried to place it in the timeline of the original show, i like to view both as canon

Both. And yes last I heard both were canon.

From Lucas:

"This is Star Wars, and I don’t make a distinction between [Clone Wars] and the films," Lucas said in an interview released by SciFiNow - a science-fiction enthusiast magazine based in the UK - during last season.

The CGI one, Lucas did mention that the 2D one show was like the pilot to the new one, and they even tried to place it in the timeline of the original show, i like to view both as canon

Wow, that's awesome because I've never seen the animated one as canon. Now I can fully embrace all of that badassery that was in the animated version. :woot:

And Lord said pilot... hehe.

hehe.gif

My brain still hasn't quite register this news. Can't wait to see when they appoint a director and assemble the cast. I'm pumped.

If these movies continue the Skywalker legacy, I'd like for Yelchin to play Luke's grandson or even his son. EU stuff doesn't really matter to me. I don't want Disney to be held down by that stuff.

Lmao, I'd love to hear one of those, "You have your grandfather/father's eyes." lines if Yelchin got the part.

72329.jpg

Last edited:
From Mark Hamill's twitter yesterday:
Congratulations to George for today's mega-deal! Can't comment on Ep 7 before I have all the facts which are short supply right now-Patience

Here's a bit more....

Lucas resurrects Darth Maul
Apparently, no one ever really dies in science-fiction stories.

A trailer has been released for the upcoming fourth season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, a show which has proved very popular among all ages of Star Wars fans, unlike many other projects which George Lucas, the creator or Star Wars, has taken a personal hand in lately.

Interestingly, this comes just as George Lucas reveals that Clone Wars is top-level canon.

For the uninitiated, the Star Wars stories are broken into multiple canon levels, with the films being the highest level canon, side projects by Lucas, like Christmas specials and cartoons being a second tier of canon, and the books and guides occupying the bottom rung. Each level of canon supersedes any conflicting information in the rungs below.

"This is Star Wars, and I don’t make a distinction between [Clone Wars] and the films," Lucas said in an interview released by SciFiNow - a science-fiction enthusiast magazine based in the UK, seemingly implying that the events of Clone Wars are top canon, which makes some sense considering how closely Lucas himself has been working on the series. That interview was about Season 3, however - which is just now coming to the UK - so there were not many other new insights for North American audiences.

Cartoon Network did send out a press release to accompany the trailer however, and in it, we get a bit more info. "The decision to continue Darth Maul’s story was something that came directly from George," says Dave Filoni, Supervising Director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. "We all agreed that his return needed to be unique, unexpected and revenge filled. We don’t know what his outcome will be, and as a fan – that’s exciting."

The fourth season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has already begun on Cartoon Network, and can be found there on Friday evenings. The date in the trailer hints that Maul will not appear until the end of the season, in the spring.

From Mark Hamill's twitter yesterday:
Congratulations to George for today's mega-deal! Can't comment on Ep 7 before I have all the facts which are short supply right now-Patience
Holy crap, imagine Mark Hamill as a Alec Guinness/Obi-Wan type of figure, maybe a cameo? It would be awesome! :jedi

It would be cool to see an old Jedi Master type Luke Skywalker. That would be actually really awesome.

I can only hope that the look, feel, and action in this video is carried over into the new movies. The only thing I'm against is the Force being seen with a kinda blue aura. Keep it invisible.

[YT]rPdJdEFilaU[/YT]

When I heard about this via Twitter the other day (was it just yesterday!? damn) I can't really say how I felt. I'm still don't know if I'm happy or disgusted. I grew up on IV, V, VI like many of you here. For me I, II, and III were somewhat of a let down mostly just because the writing was HORRIBLE. I'm sincerely hoping that now that Lucas has relaxed his stranglehold to some extent we'll get some great films in the tradition of the first three.

And I'm sorry but I would be so so so disappointed if the original cast wasn't given at least minor roles in VII.

Throw me in the "Hamill for Old Skywalker" camp
They can follow a new set of characters if Ford doesn't wanna do it and they don't want crazy ole Carrie Fischer in the movie
But Luke definitely has to show up, IMO

‘Star Wars’ 7, 8 and 9 Are ‘The Most Exciting,’ Says George Lucas Biographer (Exclusive)
The Wrap

dale%20pollock.jpg

The stories for “Star Wars” episodes seven, eight and nine, which George Lucas has outlined and the Walt Disney Company will produce and release, are “the most exciting” in the series, the filmmaker’s biographer told TheWrap on Wednesday.

While researching his book, Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized Lucas biography, “Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas,” was allowed to read the outlines to the 12 stories written by the filmmaker but was required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Also read: Star Wars: Episode 7' Coming in 2015 as Lucas Hands Off to 'New Generation of Filmmakers'

“It was originally a 12-part saga,” Pollock told TheWrap. “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

Disney bought Lucasfilm on Tuesday for $4.05 billion and announced a plan to release at least three new “Star Wars” films, starting in 2015.

Pollock researched the book in the 1980s and interviewed Lucas some 80 times. Nonetheless, Lucas was not a fan, and the two no longer have a relationship. The book was first published in 1983 and re-released in 1999. Pollock is a professor of cinema studies at the University of North Carolina's School of Filmmaking.

Also read: A Lucasfilm History: 30+ Years of 'Star Wars,' Indy and THX

For his part, Pollock deems the three “Star Wars” prequels – which made hundreds of millions at the box office but were disdained by many fans of the original – “dreadful. I think they’re horrible. For me, the first one is the worst. Maybe the second prequel is better one. I didn’t like the third one at all.”

He added: “When he did the three prequels, he was in a Lucas vacuum. No one saw the scripts [in advance], they were dreadful screenplays. I thought they seemed dry. They were medieval in terms of court intrigue. And it was a weird way to start out the story.”

The next in the series, he said, involve Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, but Lucas was unlikely to turn to Mark Hamill, who played Luke in the original but whose performance left the director dissatisfied.

“They will need an older Luke Skywalker,” Pollock said.

This was pretty quick...

Official from Disney.
[YT]xUbH1SEsqiE[/YT]

so according to the Hype home page, the new trilogy will be "an original story," not based on existing EU stories.

I actually wouldn't mind if the protagonist was a female jedi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"