George Lucas Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' started by Black Narcissus, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Black Narcissus

Black Narcissus Pimp a Butterfly

I know he killed all your childhoods with the prequels and all that, but the man was still the creator of the damn thing most of you LOVE. I know he was hurt by a lot of the hate that came form those movies, but he was still willing to give the keys to the kingdom at the end and here we are. I'm not even a SW fan, but always felt he got a raw type of hate. The man donated most if not all of his SW money. He is also responsible for our other friend Mista' Jones. I just feel that one of the biggest fanboy cliches is to hate the guy who is responsible for the thing you love in the fist place. One of the first directors to ride and pioneer the digital wave as well.

2. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Of course, the guy who's admitted he doesn't care about Star Wars is the one who starts this thread, lol.

3. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

The one guy who couldn't possibly understand the pain. :funny:

I don't hate Lucas, but I like to believe I see him for who he is. The guy who created Star Wars, and then get resentful about it.

4. Black Narcissus

:sly:

He might speak like Kermit, but he is your CREATOR. Forgive him and love him.

5. DarthSkywalker

Actually, Frank Herbert and Akira Kurosawa are our creators. :cwink:

6. Black Narcissus

Ok, this is what I don't understand. I ain't talking about the **** quality of the prequels either. Did he betray himself? Ego? Help me understand my brotha. Him giving away the keys must of been a tough thing to do. Props to him.

7. Black Narcissus

I know. But most americans prefer remakes of great films. :woot:

8. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

George Lucas is a fascinating individual. There is virtually no one like him in any pantheon of creative figureheads.

9. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

I appreciate the fact that George Lucas isn't involved with the new trilogy. His creation of this wonderful universe can never be diminished, but after the Prequels it's clear that they need another group of individuals to take over the franchise.

10. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I appreciate that George was willing to hand over the reins. Truly. SW was his baby, and that couldn't have been an easy thing to do, especially when you don't even need the money. And frankly, even at $4 billion, he gave Disney a hell of a bargain. He just wanted it to live on for future generations, and I respect that.

11. Snow Queen

You just wait until we find out about the fineprint in the contract that, in a few years, allows him to remove the original version of TFA from circulation and put out his own special editions. :o

12. DarthSkywalker

Lucas wasn't a big fan of the studio system and how producers controlled films, so when he made Star Wars, he kept full control, outside of the home video rights for the first film. The idea would be the creators, directors, writers, etc. would have control over their work.

The first film was a huge success because of everyone, Lucas included. But it was people like the DP who lied to Lucas and didn't shoot in soft focus and his wife who won an Oscar for her cut of the film (the original cut was apparently very long and considered boring by those who saw it) that kept him in check and helped make it a success. With Empire Lucas clashed with Kasdan and the director Kershner over the film, but it all worked out in the end. When RotJ came around, Lucas decided he was a fan of the studio system, as he wanted to be the overlord producer. He wanted a director who would do what he wanted. With that began his resentment. Star Wars became his thing, that he was responsible for the success for. He discounted all the artist and crew that made it come to life. It should be noted he was going through a divorce at the time, and I don't like to get in to the particulars about that. But he changed quite a bit at that time, and it could be seen in Temple of Doom and RotJ.

When Lucas came back to Star Wars, he asked Kasdan to return, and Kasdan refused. Why? Speculation is abound, but my opinion is that he knew George would no longer listen. This seemed to play out, as Lucas surrounded himself with yes men (watch or listen to any of the prequel special features or commentaries) and had no one to challenge on the prequels. He wrote them himself and directed them himself, with very little input and apparently no push back.

Now no matter how you feel about the prequels, they have taken a lot of criticism, and this has hurt George. He considered the prequels his sole vision and thus the criticism against, especially when compared to the OT, made him look, well wrong. Even before the prequels, he take shots at Empire calling it the worst film, and stuff like that. But his reaction has gotten worse over the years. He won't release any version of the OT that isn't the most recently altered because it is "his vision". Even though he didn't direct two of the films. He has taken shots at fans over the OT and the prequels. He has been taking shots at TFA and Disney as of late, annoyed that they tossed out his "vision". Now he has said that he left as a consultant because they kept telling him they didn't like his ideas, saying that instead of a real story, they are going to simply release a film built on fan service.

That last complaint is funny considering the prequels imo. I will always love him for creating Star Wars, but he has become as bitter as many of his fans nowadays. He became what he loathed. The guy who hated big studios and fought against changing classic films has done both in abundance the last 30 years. It is actually kind of sad.

13. OtherwiseKnownAs

OtherwiseKnownAs Master of the Mystic Arts

^ Yep, that pretty much covers it.

14. Black Narcissus

Well, before you see the film in the theater and the lights go down, just a quick thank you George. lol

15. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

I hope they at least give him a credit at the end such as "Based on Star Wars by George Lucas" or something like that.

16. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

I'm sure they will. Just like it's done with Gene Roddenberry and Bob Kane (undeservedly, but still).

17. Raiden

Raiden Wakanda Forever

If what you said about Lucas is true re: his recent comments on TFA, then I've lost what shred of respect I have left for him.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  18. DarthSkywalker

19. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

Yeah I bet they will. I do wonder when in the credit line they'll have it. J.J Abrams will no doubt be first. The "Directed by" credit is always first, then producers and writers. Could it then be right after that? or maybe it be at the end of the main cast credit.

20. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Pretty sure it usually comes around the same time as the writer credits.

21. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I've made no secret that I'm a fan of George and I'm openly grateful for what he's created. The thing is, there are legitimate reasons for fans to be mad at him. Not liking the prequels is one thing, personally I think everyone should be over that by now. But not releasing the original versions is a real shame and it's very revealing. I do wish he would've fixed that before selling the company and made peace with the fans before saying goodbye. DS is right, there is a sadness there when you look at how the story played out.

HOWEVER, I still love the guy in spite of it all There's something loveable about the man, he has a tragically square exterior, yet I find him pretty cool for blazing his own trail. He is the proto-geek. He read comic books, watched serials, read sci-fi as a kid, and he channeled that into a movie that sought to elevate "kids stuff" into something with a bit more heft that everyone could enjoy. And he did that in the 70s, when everyone thought it was a bad idea. In terms of that broad notion of what Star Wars could be, he is the guy that got there first and that's why there can only ever be one Star Wars. Then he did it again with Indiana Jones. When you consider everything he helped pioneer in the industry, Brother Jack is correct in saying there is no parallel.

Part of me is still hoping that he'll see TFA and actually enjoy it. Who knows how many opportunities he'll have left to enjoy Star Wars as a fan, which is supposedly what he's always wanted, so I hope he can find it in his heart to let go of the bitterness and just realize that JJ and co. are trying to make the best movie they can.

I like this graduation speech he gave a few years back. The advice he gives at the end is spot on, imo.

[YT]sCP2SGTIz28[/YT]

22. Black Narcissus

I do love that he said his favorite character is Jar Jar. He is giving folks the bird.

23. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

George > most.

24. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Here's the thing you need to understand, Mang. There's six Star Wars films, but only two of them are great. You're only allow to like those two, or you'll end up like Fritz Lang.

25. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

There's only 4 SW films: The OT and ST09.