Gerard Butler confirmed for an animated Black Freighter!

I don't really care what kind of animation it's done in, just so long as they do it right. I don't want Alan Moore having to kill anyone over this project (especially considering how pissed he was about V For Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

Im glad that the Black Freighter is going to be included, either in the film or on the DVD, but i wish it had been made in the style of Gibbons art work.
Japanese Anime is wrong for many reasons - it was not the style in Watchmen, and it would not have the been the syle of an American comic book during the 80s.
And it would also have been great to see Gibbons art come to life in animation.
I do like some Anime, but i think it is totally unsuitable for the Black Freighter.

Why do you think that they won't have Gibbons' style? Anime doesn't automatically mean Naruto or Pokemon. It's a process of animation just like any other, there just tend to be similar designs among the art design.

There are things that anime can bring to the project that will help it rather than detract from it:

• realistic backgrounds (with surreal colors for the comic feel)
  • Gibbons' style (very good at staying true to a certain design)
  • quality
  • abstract (when needed)
  • excellent animation
  • an overall comic-book feel (I've seen similar things)

I don't really care what kind of animation it's done in, just so long as they do it right. I don't want Alan Moore having to kill anyone over this project (especially considering how pissed he was about V For Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

He actually signed a preemptive paper to not have anything to do with the project so that no one will talk to him about it.

i dont even like how anime animation "moves" so to speak. generally speaking, they all have this wonky almost surreal pacing to the movement of people and objects and stuff.

That's generally because they animate on "3's" instead of "1's" and "2's," like we do out west. 3's means---3 frame holds per drawing.

Since the human eye sees 24 frames (or in this case, drawings) per second, animation on 3's looks slower, since it's about 8 pictures per second. Typical TV animation in America is on 2's--12 pictures per second, while Disney 2D feature animation is on 1's--24 pictures per second. I know Akira was done on 1's, and was one of the first Japanese feature animations to actually do proper lip-synch.

You'll also find that anime has much lower budgets than we do out here, and they end up saving their money for the action, not the drama. Since anime stems mainly from manga (comics,) they stage their action accordingly--all the smoother animation is saved for the equivalent of their splash screens, or the big action set pieces. Dialogue scenes tend to have more still images with barely any animation in them.

As a lover of art and creativity in general, it's hard for me to hate on an entire genre or style. There's something to be gleaned from damned near anything, and so long as it's cool and has some appeal, I'm there.

I hate the fact that everything is starting to be anime, because these "otaku" are starting to fall in to this fad because its "cool" and the studios are just trying to jump into this, truth is however, these "otaku" don't even watch half the stuff they mention on their gaia accounts and the studios are just trying to ride the wave.. in a few years this will be all over and we'll get good animation again.

Whatever. There's good animation now. People like you simply won't acknowledge it since it hurts your point.

That's generally because they animate on "3's" instead of "1's" and "2's," like we do out west. 3's means---3 frame holds per drawing.

Since the human eye sees 24 frames (or in this case, drawings) per second, animation on 3's looks slower, since it's about 8 pictures per second. Typical TV animation in America is on 2's--12 pictures per second, while Disney 2D feature animation is on 1's--24 pictures per second. I know Akira was done on 1's, and was one of the first Japanese feature animations to actually do proper lip-synch.

You'll also find that anime has much lower budgets than we do out here, and they end up saving their money for the action, not the drama. Since anime stems mainly from manga (comics,) they stage their action accordingly--all the smoother animation is saved for the equivalent of their splash screens, or the big action set pieces. Dialogue scenes tend to have more still images with barely any animation in them.

As a lover of art and creativity in general, it's hard for me to hate on an entire genre or style. There's something to be gleaned from damned near anything, and so long as it's cool and has some appeal, I'm there.
hmm, thats pretty interesting, thanks for sharing that.

Whatever. There's good animation now. People like you simply won't acknowledge it since it hurts your point.

or, god forbid, someone actually have an opinion different from yours. some people dont like anime for no other reason than it doesnt appeal to them, deal with it.

or, god forbid, someone actually have an opinion different from yours. some people dont like anime for no other reason than it doesnt appeal to them, deal with it.

And that's fine - the problem is when people who just plain don't like something use excuses for their dislike for no reason other than trying to degrade that which they find unpleasant. A simple "I don't car for it." would suffice.

That has nothing to do with it. Appeal is one thing, but throwing around BS like anime is killing or preventing good animation from being produced. And yes, anime has been around and been popular before in many forms in the US for over 20-30 years. In Japan, anime is a term used for all animation.

That has nothing to do with it. Appeal is one thing, but throwing around BS like anime is killing or preventing good animation from being produced. And yes, anime has been around and been popular before in many forms in the US for over 20-30 years. In Japan, anime is a term used for all animation.

I don't think it is killing or preventing anything, but the anime craze is becoming a sterile monoculture.

Everything has to become anime, because it is "in". I would hope Watchmen animators to be a litte bit more imaginative, or less trendy.

Even more because they could use actual references, like Joe Orlando. Anime just doesn't cut it.

I don't think it is killing or preventing anything, but the anime craze is becoming a sterile monoculture.

Everything has to become anime, because it is "in". I would hope Watchmen animators to be a litte bit more imaginative, or less trendy.

Even more because they could use actual references, like Joe Orlando. Anime just doesn't cut it.
Are you one of those people that think The Batman is anime?

I don't watch it myself. But sometimes it gets labelled as "that anime crap".

Well, it may be. As I said, anime is becoming a monoculture. They try to make everything to fit in the style.

It is rather boring. :sleepy:

Well, it may be. As I said, anime is becoming a monoculture. They try to make everything gd to fit in that style.

It is rather boring. :sleepy:
The Batman is not anime in the least. Most people who call it that are usually 20-somethings who are angry that cartoons aren't still being made for them.

The Batman is not anime in the least. Most people who call it that are usually 20-somethings who are angry that cartoons aren't still being made for them.

Yep - shows like that are just an American attempt at what the studios think is anime. It doesn't reflect the actual medium very much in reality.

Yep - shows like that are just an American attempt at what the studios think is anime. It doesn't reflect the actual medium very much in reality.
It's not even very anime inspired either.

The Batman was designed by an Asian-American animator, the same guy who designed The Jackie Chan Adventures. That could be why people think it's "anime inspired."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Matsuda
http://www.jeffmatsuda.com/

Transformers, Thundercats, Inspector Gadget--all those cartoons were animated by Japanese animators, and borrow from anime technique.

As far as limited animation and all that goes--I'd say, don't blame anime. We were doing it here long before they really got going in Japan. Look no further than what Hanna-Barbera was churning out for television in the 60's. Jonny Quest comes to mind.

Matsuda has a distinctive style which is influenced by both asian and american styles of animation, but it is pretty much the same type of animation most american shows have now. Its not really anime.

His style still reminds me of anime/manga art alot, you know so ****ing stylized..

People should simply be happy they are doing or filming this at all. When there was a lot of question if The Black Freighter would even make it in the movie. You don't know how its going to look either. The chapter in Kill Bill didn't exactly look like typical anime.

People should simply be happy they are doing or filming this at all. When there was a lot of question if The Black Freighter would even make it in the movie. You don't know how its going to look either. The chapter in Kill Bill didn't exactly look like typical anime.
When I first heard about this I immediately thought of that bit in Kill Bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"