Ghost Rider: Road To Damnation

Makes me wonder how many first time GR readers will be turned off of the next book because of this mini. It's a damn shame.

i went with C cause it was just Ghost Rider running around to stop a demon not really much of a Ghost Rider story for me

First of all, crivelliman, welcome to the GR section. We welcome your comments very much. Come back often.

Issue 6. It's complete. It's a litle sad to see it go, nobody can dissagree, whether you liked it or not. It's just nice to look forward to a Ghost Rider comic every month and now that it's not on the print list for a while, I'm a left feeling a little empty.

I sat down and read all 6 issues today. Finally had a change to do it after almost a week of wanting to. All in all, I gotta say that it was quite enjoyable... for what it was. And what it was, was a Ghost Rider story. One that was much better than hammer lane.

Now, I have to agree with most in saying that the story lacked Ghost Rider but, I am very fond of the characters and plot. In fact, I found that there was so much great stuff going on that they could have used another 6 issues to develop it. Or another 6 issues to see Ghost Rider travelling around hell taking Hoss' advice and finding pleasures wherever he can.

The only thing about Ghost Rider himself that I didn't like was his speech. It didn't have the power Ghost Rider should have. The reason why I don't really let this bother me is because I realize that it's not really Ghost Rider who's speaking. It's Johnny. From what I gather, 2 Years ago, he was brought to hell and in hell he is stuck being the thing he hates the most, Ghost Rider. Talk about hell being a ****ty place to be... let alone the fact he gets torn to pieces every day.

Was it the best Ghost Rider to date? No. Will it push newcomers to the character away from flameface? No, I don't think so. I really think that those who don't know the characters history, this would be a great mini to read. Exciting action, interesting characters and fantastic artwork.

I gave it a B.

It sucked. I voted accordingly.
The only thing I've seen thats been really positive the past 8 month is the ghost rider revealed footage, looks promising.

What they need to do is start the ongoing about the same time as the movie with tex/javier minus ennis and have it be an updated version of the original(jb) barrowing a few things from the ketchera(like they are with the movie). The ongoing should feature the movie bike and his "costume" should be the movie one (ketchish but all leather). Most importantly, unlike this series, the comic should center around The Ghost Rider. Also the mouth blasts did suck. He should use his hellfire blasts, fireballs, chain, and penance stare.

After finally purchasing this issue, I'm glad to say it is over.

The story Ennis wrote was a good one in general, but the lead character could have been played by anyone, really. Ghost Rider felt, to me, like he was thrown into a story by Ennis had already written and said to himself "Well, I finally have a reason to use this story. A few tweaks here and there, and we have the next Ghost Rider mini."

Ghost Rider felt secondary in the story. Miss Catmint felt more like a main character than Ghost Rider. It really was a comic series I could have done without.

But, due to the artwork and the supporting cast of characters, I gave it a C. I really could have used the 60 bucks I spent on the series on something better, though.

NDX said:
Ghost Rider felt secondary in the story. Miss Catmint felt more like a main character than Ghost Rider.

All hail Miss Catmint!

;)

The artwork was great and i kinda liked the ending. What happened to that angel (i forget his name) to me was pretty amusing. sure GR got ****ed in the end but at least he made it worse for the other guy.

Fettstyl said:
It sucked. I voted accordingly.
The only thing I've seen thats been really positive the past 8 month is the ghost rider revealed footage, looks promising.

What they need to do is start the ongoing about the same time as the movie with tex/javier minus ennis and have it be an updated version of the original(jb) barrowing a few things from the ketchera(like they are with the movie). The ongoing should feature the movie bike and his "costume" should be the movie one (ketchish but all leather). Most importantly, unlike this series, the comic should center around The Ghost Rider. Also the mouth blasts did suck. He should use his hellfire blasts, fireballs, chain, and penance stare.

Hey Fett, good to see you back from your subaticle :)
It looks like the new book will have movie like bike and GR outfit and with a new writer I'm hoping the burp powers are gone. Hopefully Way will see that GRs traditional powers, including hellfire blasts and literal burning of souls, is the way to go. We shall see.
The past 8 month? I thought the comiccon footage was pretty good. Imagine the Ghost Rider Revealed footage combined and finetuned with the comiccon footage. I'm looking forward to it :up:

Man, you guys are harsh. I enjoyed issues 1-5 immennsely, the art was amazing, I like the "adult" "dark" theme, but HATED, that GR didn't make it out of hell. I F*&in was shocked, and Hated that. I thought this would be his chance out. Yeah, Miss Catmint saved it, and what some of you don't seem to grasp, is that a "hero" shouldn't/can't be the fu*&in hero every issue. The dude just got outta hell, I don't expect him to be smelling like a rose right away, it wouldve been perfect if Johnny coulda said "**** you Hell, I ain't goin back" and then start kickin ass again, here on earth. Just mho. Ghost Rider, even when I was a kid in the seventies, was always "adult" themed, which made him even cooler in my book. Hoss's words are still in my soul, even tho I haven't read #6 in a month, "The first million years are the hardest". That makes me wanna puke, tho now thinkin bout it, that fat F*&k didn't spend no million years there, :O

it was an ok series, art was superb...but it was a "meh" Ghost Rider story. GR didnt act like himself and wasnt the object of fear and power that the angels alluded to in issue one. he seemed more like a regular guy who's skull was on fire...and not a rampaging demon bent on vengeance. also hated that this was treated for laughs instead of being serious. A problem which was also shared w/ the Hammer Lane mini-series...but at least that series attempted to get the character of GR right...at least in the beginning.
C- :down

I kinda enjoyed the humour of the series, personally. The Buttview thing, and all such darker funnies, are pretty enjoyable. Of course, that's just me.

I can't wait to see their verson of the past. A past we've yet to see.

Gave it a C. The series started out with great promise but fizzled out at the end.

i vote c bcuz it was great to see gr again and i had to compare it to the others for judgment
70s series-A
90s-A+
hammer lane-0 F- terrible
ennis- C

Artwork was great throughout and the end and the story fit into the GR theme, but the only thing I didnt like was the fact that it was too short and I found that most of the comic was advertising rather than material.

Did anyone get a chance to pick up the Baltimore Retailer's variant cover comic? I just found one today at my local shop for 10 dollars, invested in it. Looks like that's the current general price for the comic, if you can find it.

Just need that one other painted cover by... I want to say Eric Risbi but that's probably wrong... to pretty much have this series covered.

Horrid, horrid issue.

I liked Miss Catmint. I wouldn't mind seeing her as a returning character. But she's about the only thing I liked.

Really, this was "The amazing adventures of Ruth and Hoss, with occasionaly appearances by Ghost Rider and some useless preacher guy who adds nothing to the tale."

Ennis can write better than this. He must have been on cruise control.

well...it was ok....just not a great GR series IMO.
GR didnt act like GR ...more like Blaze in GR's body. and he didnt kick very much ass or not enough of it.
story was ok, some of the supporting characters were interesting...art was GREAT.
still its much better than Hammer Lane....although HL got closer to what the personality of GR should be in at least the 1st few issues.
although its flawed i would still recommend it

Yes, get it. Of course get it.

I agree with BG though. It wasn't the best Ghost Rider story out there, mainly because it lacked Ghost Rider, but it was still worth reading for the art. Simply incredible I think. Don't get me wrong, the story was great too, just not Ghost Rider-y enough.

I just purchased issues 1, 5, & 6. Read issue i last night, story looks promising, art is incredible. Of course now I am tempted to read issues 5 and 6 since I have them on hand. I have to find 2,3 & 4 this weekend. This is my first venture into reading a "current comic" in about 15 years so I'm excited.

I found issues 1,5,&6 still on the rack with the new stuff. In fact they had several copies of issue 1. When did this originally come anyway? It's worth buying for art alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"