Days of Future Past Girl gone ROGUE Thread (ANNA PAQUIN's BACK..FALSE ALARM SHE'S BEEN CUT) - Part 6

^Yep! I hope Singer knows how large the fanbase of Rogue is.

By the way, has anybody noticed the location of Anna Paquin's name during the credits? I think her name appeared within the first ten cast members.

That's pretty high for a "cameo". Same with Famke and Marsden.

I am sure that was in her contact. People don't think about that, but little things like that are fought about in contracts. Plus, she got cut down to a 3 second cameo, and for whatever excuses people want to put forth, the optics on that don't look good for an actress who was in the previous movies and is on a hit show. As an actor (since there is so much competition) you always want to give the impression that you are in demand, indispensable and people can't wait to work with you. That has also been my experience in the non-Hollywood world, too.

So with the cut scenes and being boxed out of the major marketing and promotion for a huge movie, that was the least they could do for her.

I don't see it as an over-complication. If anything happened to Kitty at any point before she did her job, they fail. Having a plan B is not just 'adding another mutant' it brings it full circle for the first movie honestly.
Rogue was originally supposed to be used as a tool for Magneto, here she would have been a tool to fix everything with the first mutant she ever had a connection with.
So much poetic justice could have been done, in the same amount of time, as what we got.

you're just creating an explanation because you wanted her in the movie. It's quite clear they wrote Kitty being replaced by Rogue just so they could use Anna Paquin. Writing a sequence just to use a particular actor is bad practice in the first place and the sequence clearly wasn't necessary since the main plot is not affected by the lack of Rogue. "Bringing everything full circle" would have been nice but it was not necessitated by the plot.

Fairly certain you'll be asked to remove that by the mods. Better remove it now.

I get people are fans of the character, I am a fan of the character, but how can any watch this film and think it was needed or would have made the film better. Why? Because it would have added Rogue and more Future timeline screentime? that is exactly how you start chipping away at the quality of a good film.

Darth, I said something similar in an above post. I don't get this cramming in acharacter because you like the actress. I found that I liked Blink a lot (never paid attention to her before) in this movie, but she served her purpose in a limited role and you did not need to expand it in the movie. However, I hope I see more of her because the actress had charisma and good screen presence.
Yep. In most cases more is less. The character serves their purpose to the story, and we move on. Rogue didn't service the story here, that is why they removed the character.

you're just creating an explanation because you wanted her in the movie. It's quite clear they wrote Kitty being replaced by Rogue just so they could use Anna Paquin. Writing a sequence just to use a particular actor is bad practice in the first place and the sequence clearly wasn't necessary since the main plot is not affected by the lack of Rogue. "Bringing everything full circle" would have been nice but it was not necessitated by the plot.
Exactly. Which is why the removed it. They watched the film, and realized how extraneous it all was. The rescue plus the "stepping" in. All unnecessary, potentially damaging to the quality of the story they were telling. So they removed it. That is the beauty and horror of the editing process. Sometimes you lose material you love because it doesn't work for the benefit of the film as a whole.

Last edited:
Reminder not to post bootleg images here, everyone.

I agree that it'd have upped the drama and would have given McKellan and Iceman more to do, they were basically non existent imo

Funnily enough I thought it was Stewart's Xavier that did nothing. He was basically depending on people to protect him.

Thank god he had the face/off scene with the younger Xavier. That made up for his non-action.

I agree that it'd have upped the drama and would have given McKellan and Iceman more to do, they were basically non existent imo
Why did they need "more to do"? They had a clearly defined purpose, and served it well. I get people wanted more of the older cast, but the future was not where the drama was. They were sitting there depend on Logan and their past selves.

I'm of two minds on the Rogue issue. On the one hand I liked the movie a lot, I think if flowed very well and I think that having a rescue sequence with everything that was going on in the future probably would have been too much. Plus, it would seem kind of weird to have a contingent of people leave the temple more vulnerable. They are all depending on Kitty and Wolverine and those two are stuck there, unable to defend themselves while Wolverine is in the past, so sending potential defenders and protectors away might seem weird.

However, I would have really like to see Anna Paquin/Rogue. So I think that the action sequence could have been cut, but Professor and Magneto could have been like, things are bad, let's go get Rogue, walk back in like, hey we got Rogue, and then she's there without the sequence, but still there to help.

Though most of all I wish that Rogue's one scene (one and a half if the flashback to X2 counts) was more than it was. The other characters that just appeared for one scene and that we had previously met in other movies all had some dialogue, so I wish that they had reshot a tiny bit of Rogue's stuff at the end. Even if she was filming True Blood, I feel like she could have gotten one day off and even a day of shooting, since there was no action sequence, could have made her role, basically a cameo, more of a proper cameo. Because as its stands, if the average viewer recognizes Anna Paquin as Rogue, it might seem strange that they hired her for what she ended up doing and some people might wonder why they didn't just put an extra in the Rogue wig to save money.

Still I loved the movie and I hope to see Anna Paquin as Rogue again. If Rogue flies I think Anna would be up for the role, so let's just have Apocalypse grab her from the future, give her flight and make her one of his horsemen.

Why did they need "more to do"? They had a clearly defined purpose, and served it well. I get people wanted more of the older cast, but the future was not where the drama was. They were sitting there depend on Logan and their past selves.

That is what I loved about the movie. Everyone was backed in to a corner fighting for their lives with one last chance, and then you take this detour/side trip for Rogue? That is bad, messy story-telling that would have been lambasted by the critics and others. The character of Rogue has already been bashed from here to Timbuktu. A better story would have been to have her already there and helping to fight if you wanted to include her. I don't know why they did not do that with the fall reshoots. But, there were so many moving parts in this movie and you need to keep it as tight as possible, which the writers and directors were saying about why the scenes were deleted.

I guarantee there were other scenes though out the movie that were deleted to make the movie as good and seamless as it was. I am sure they were fine, but did not work in the final product.

Oh my GOD it just clicked to me where exactly Rogue was gonna fit into the story. :doh:

I'm quite shocked because I didn't notice it while watching the movie AT ALL.

Imagine that last scene, with Rogue holding Logan instead of Kitty. Damn. :csad:

Thank God at least we have Ellen Page playing Kitty. :o

Ellen is such a great actress! You can feel the pain while watching her.

Oh my GOD it just clicked to me where exactly Rogue was gonna fit into the story. :doh:

I'm quite shocked because I didn't notice it while watching the movie AT ALL.

And that shows how tacked on her story would have been if it was still included. The fact that they were able to cut it out so easily shows how extraneous it would have been. It would have been a disservice all around to keep her there and make her feel forced.

They did reshoots. That's why they were able to cut it.

Exactly. I don't get how some people can form the opinion that if the scene was included it would have turned it from a great movie to a bad movie. lol.

I don't really think Rogue was needed in the story at all. It actually added to the tension
by having Kitty be injured.

And I'm the biggest fan of both Rogue and Anna. But really, she was not needed here. I'd much rather have her with Storm, Warpath, Bishop and Blink on the outside, if they were to include her. She could borrow everyone's powers and combine them to fight Sentinels, but we know Anna didn't have time for that.

But if her arc was to be rescued and then put her hands on Wolverine while acting scared...I don't really need to see Rogue like that yet again. Basically I wanted to have Rogue as a money shot character for once. Enough of drama and acting scared. That's why i'm not sad she was left out.

For me, yes.

:p

Same here.

Tho my point is...right now nobody can make an educated thought either way cause we have not seen it.

What get's me is people's fallacy's that the movie was good so they obviously made the correct decision to cut? How is that logic.

Simon Kimberg has been quoted saying it's as good of scene as anything in the movie. So thats enough evidence for me to know it would not have been worse with it in the movie.

The decision seemed to be made for length and need reasons. The movie would work fine without it and therefore they made the decision to cut it. Nothing to do with quality.

I don't see it as an over-complication. If anything happened to Kitty at any point before she did her job, they fail. Having a plan B is not just 'adding another mutant' it brings it full circle for the first movie honestly.
Rogue was originally supposed to be used as a tool for Magneto, here she would have been a tool to fix everything with the first mutant she ever had a connection with.
So much poetic justice could have been done, in the same amount of time, as what we got.

Not having a plan b adds more drama. It gives Kitty more reason to continue working even though she was bleeding and growing weaker. It also showed how fragile their success in the plan was. If they could just sub her out, tension is lost.

Rogue wasn't necessary to the future storyline. Going out of their way to include her would have only made for mucking up the narrative. This was a tight movie, and it flows perfectly. We didn't need a detour that actually lessens the tension.

Not having a plan b adds more drama. It gives Kitty more reason to continue working even though she was bleeding and growing weaker. It also showed how fragile their success in the plan was. If they could just sub her out, tension is lost.

Rogue wasn't necessary to the future storyline. Going out of their way to include her would have only made for mucking up the narrative. This was a tight movie, and it flows perfectly. We didn't need a detour that actually lessens the tension.
I don't feel strongly about the issue one way or the other but yeah I like the point you make. I don't think I would have minded her scenes being in there but I don't know I lean towards them not being needed.

To play devil's advocate, it might have created more tension if Rogue was there. From Ms. Marvel and the comic books we know that if Rogue holds onto someone long enough she can keep their powers permanently. But in the movie they might not know that so there could be a tension of Rogue having to draw from Kitty's powers enough to keep Logan in the past, but not enough to cause Kitty's death so that Rogue could keep drawing her powers and keep the connection. There could also be problems of Rogue running out of Kitty's powers and Logan starting to return to the present until Rogue gets a recharge of power. Alternatively, if Rogue sucked all of the power out of Kitty so that she would be guaranteed to have the ability to keep Logan in the past, it could create either tension or reemphasize how dire everything is. At that point you would have a teammate killing/sacrificing another teammate to succeed in the mission which would be very dramatic.

I do think, not having seen an extended cut with the Rogue scenes included, that the right call was made, but I don't think having Rogue there would have eliminated the tension. I think it would have changed the type of tension but I think regardless of whether Rogue is there or not
having Kitty there, injured and probably dying, will create all sorts of tension

I kept waiting for her to pop up and yeah that was probably literally the definition of a blink and you miss it cameo.

I think if you had sneezed at that moment, you would have never known she was in the movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"