Days of Future Past Girl gone ROGUE Thread (ANNA PAQUIN's BACK..FALSE ALARM SHE'S BEEN CUT) - Part 6

Have read this on wikipedia:

Kinberg stated that the special effects for Paquin's deleted scenes are being finished for the DVD release of the film.

I hope it is true :)

:highfive:

It would have been the classic case of doing something less effective, more complicated, with more screen time, just to have an extra character show up. The crew shows restraint, a rarity in films, and then people get mad for actually having the guts to do what was best for the film. I get wanting the character, but not one thing about this film indicates the Rogue stuff would have added anything other then runtime and a character.

The future narrative is simple, but extreme effective. It was on Kitty and Logan. Everyone else was irrelevant. They were depending on them, and everyone else was there to simply buy them the time they needed. It worked beautifully. Over-complicating that just to have another character reeks of fanboy logic imo.

Exactly! I have been on the cutting room floor of projects before, and I have had plenty of cases where I filmed something and loved what I filmed, but ultimately I had a stronger product without it. The hardest part of editing is letting something go. Sometimes it feels like your harming your child or something. It sucks. But, the mere fact a scene exists doesn't mean it needs to be in the movie. I feel that the film doesn't miss having Rogue at all, so adding her adds nothing to the movie we don't already have. THIS is why it was cut.

I can see why it was cut, I don't think it would really add anything more as a lot of people have already said. I hope it is a deleted scene on the DVD, even though I don't really care much for Rogue.

I don't really think Rogue was needed in the story at all. It actually added to the tension
by having Kitty be injured.

I disagree. I felt that Kitty being injured also felt forced.

The sequence with Rogue may have been as good as anything else in the film, but it still could have impacted the quality of the film if it interrupted the flow of the film or didn't fit (which are the reasons it was cut). I'm not sure what the "need" reason you are referring to but perhaps it has something to do with wanting to create a tight narrative with no extraneous subplots. Kinberg himself referred to Rogue as the "MacGuffin" in that sequence (essentially meaning that he considered her to be of no importance to the plot).

It's funny Singer and Kinberg also called JLaw a MacGuffin.

I disagree. I felt that Kitty being injured also felt forced.

It's funny Singer and Kinberg also called JLaw a MacGuffin.

Kitty Being injured was always going to happen.That's how rogue entered picture.

I mentioned this in another thread but now that the thought has me, I am very remiss that it did not play out this way.

After Magneto gets stabbed, Rogue takes his powers and goes to buy them time while he dies inside and we see Magnetic Rogue fighting Sentinels to the death with Blink and co.

I was fine with cutting Paquin, but now that I put two minutes of logic to it, they missed a golden opportunity to redeem her like they did everyone else in X3. If she could have had her hero moment, at Magneto's expense no less...wow. That would have been cool.

They don't want to redeem Rogue and they don't want a heroic Rogue. This version of the character is as far from being a fighter as humanly possible. She's the whiny young X-Man and that's it.

I mentioned this in another thread but now that the thought has me, I am very remiss that it did not play out this way.

After Magneto gets stabbed, Rogue takes his powers and goes to buy them time while he dies inside and we see Magnetic Rogue fighting Sentinels to the death with Blink and co.

I was fine with cutting Paquin, but now that I put two minutes of logic to it, they missed a golden opportunity to redeem her like they did everyone else in X3. If she could have had her hero moment, at Magneto's expense no less...wow. That would have been cool.

This is the problem. Rogue can only have her moment at another character's expense.

And it doesn't make sense that Rogue, who could only take someone else's power for a limited time (yes, I'm aware of how she got her strength and flight in the comics) could seamlessly replace Kitty without interrupting the "spell".

But that is why I feel my idea seems so obvious. Magneto was already done fighting, he was stabbed and dying. She takes his power, which is fitting since her introduction to the series was as his victim where he used her power to essentially physically abuse her, and then uses it to save the day and die heroically while Magneto has his tender moment with Charles.

It is a win-win. Other than budgetary constraints of having her fight to the death too, I see no reason why that could not have been a brilliant solution instead of having her in the background to sub in for Kitty if the time would come.

Magneto was out of tricks though. That's why it was a good time to take him out of the fight. The Sentinels aren't made of metal or have other defenses against this powers. That's he used the black bird in his attack instead of just tearing the sentinels apart when they got near.

Rogue wouldn't have been able to help even with Magneto's powers.

It is not that simple. Redeeming Rogue is about more than just giving her someone else's powers for for a minute or two . The problem a lot of people had with her was her behavior and characterization. If you can't get the writing and acting right for her she can have all the superpowers in the world and it still won't work. Why do you think they gave Halle Berry so much grief about Storm, who was fully load? I would add January Jones as Emma Frost to that list, too.

Plus, it was more compelling in the end to see old Magneto and Professor X (played by two great old pros), who have been to hell and back with each other for over 60 years, together and saying what could have been their final words to each other.

So, I guess this is going to be good bye to Rogue growing as a character in the cinematic X-Men universe? Shame, she started as my favorite character.

But that is why I feel my idea seems so obvious. Magneto was already done fighting, he was stabbed and dying. She takes his power, which is fitting since her introduction to the series was as his victim where he used her power to essentially physically abuse her, and then uses it to save the day and die heroically while Magneto has his tender moment with Charles.

It is a win-win. Other than budgetary constraints of having her fight to the death too, I see no reason why that could not have been a brilliant solution instead of having her in the background to sub in for Kitty if the time would come.

There are many things Rogue could have done in this movie, but just like in X3, Anna Paquin simply wasn't available for an extended role. There is no way they could have shot such a huge action piece in just the few days she was on set.

So, I guess this is going to be good bye to Rogue growing as a character in the cinematic X-Men universe? Shame, she started as my favorite character.

Pretty much which is disappointing since I grew up loving her character the most. The only way she'll come back is if they do a movie with the OT cast and even then, I highly doubt that her characterization will change suddenly. She has no place in the FC timeline either because she's either just a baby or haven't been conceived yet. :(

I'm looking forward to seeing the deleted scene and I'm glad to we at least saw her for like 2 seconds in the ending. :funny:

Last edited:
There are many things Rogue could have done in this movie, but just like in X3, Anna Paquin simply wasn't available for an extended role. There is no way they could have shot such a huge action piece in just the few days she was on set.

Maybe it's just time to find a new actress for Rogue. I love Paquin, but if she can't commit anymore, there are more fish in the seas.

It is not that simple. Redeeming Rogue is about more than just giving her someone else's powers for for a minute or two . The problem a lot of people had with her was her behavior and characterization. If you can't get the writing and acting right for her she can have all the superpowers in the world and it still won't work. Why do you think they gave Halle Berry so much grief about Storm, who was fully load? I would add January Jones as Emma Frost to that list, too.

Plus, it was more compelling in the end to see old Magneto and Professor X (played by two great old pros), who have been to hell and back with each other for over 60 years, together and saying what could have been their final words to each other.

Agree to disagree but I really liked what they did with Rogue in X1. I thought her relationship with Logan was the heart of the movie, and it was both sweet and something you really rooted for them to overcome in. She ended the movie a victim of Magneto's and in the second she was getting stronger and standing up for herself more but was still cracking under pressure.

For me the answer was not her flying or being just more like the comic. It was her overcoming her insecurity about herself and her ability. That was ruined by X3 when she gave into it and both sought and got the cure. Worse still, Wolverine acted like he didn't give a crap what happened to her and shrugged it off.

Redemption would have been showing her in 2023 as battle hardened but strong. A survivor and a hero, who could even have (for expediency's sake) knowing looks to Logan and Iceman who is now with Kitty, but her comfortable with herself.

In this context, if she was able to take Magneto's powers (the man who first wronged her) and use them for good without hesitation in the face of almost certain destruction?

Yes, I do think it would have redeemed her for X3. Because I thought X3 should have been her growing comfortable in her own skin and growing independent. They could have done that in a handful of scenes in DOFP. And honestly, not how it was written. The idea of her being a counterbalance to Kitty was a bad idea from the word go, which is probably why it got cut, sadly enough.

Ah. There you go. There's the answer. Sadly, this is a shame. Because I really wish Rogue got redeemed. She was one of my favorite parts of X1. Now, she is the only thing Ratner ruined that is still left unfixed, at least from how I see it.

Agree to disagree but I really liked what they did with Rogue in X1. I thought her relationship with Logan was the heart of the movie, and it was both sweet and something you really rooted for them to overcome in. She ended the movie a victim of Magneto's and in the second she was getting stronger and standing up for herself more but was still cracking under pressure.

For me the answer was not her flying or being just more like the comic. It was her overcoming her insecurity about herself and her ability. That was ruined by X3 when she gave into it and both sought and got the cure. Worse still, Wolverine acted like he didn't give a crap what happened to her and shrugged it off.

I agree with this segment 100%. It's what got me to be a fan of the X-Men movies (the first two anyways) I'm going to be honest, I never watched the cartoons and I never picked up a comic. I went into X1 with a completely open and fresh mind, and the rapport that was developed between Wolverine and Rogue was my favorite aspect. I loved how he found a sense of belonging finally after being on the road for so long, all because of one innocent 16ish young girl. And I loved how in X2, although he was trying to protect her and the other kids during the government takeover, she refused to leave her best friend behind. That was true team work in those few scenes, and I loved it. And you're right, X3 came and messed it all up. I wouldn't have mind that she was entertaining the idea of the cure, but she should have done what Ben Foster did, have second thoughts and walked out on the procedure.

Redemption would have been showing her in 2023 as battle hardened but strong. A survivor and a hero, who could even have (for expediency's sake) knowing looks to Logan and Iceman who is now with Kitty, but her comfortable with herself.

In this context, if she was able to take Magneto's powers (the man who first wronged her) and use them for good without hesitation in the face of almost certain destruction?

Yes, I do think it would have redeemed her for X3. Because I thought X3 should have been her growing comfortable in her own skin and growing independent. They could have done that in a handful of scenes in DOFP. And honestly, not how it was written. The idea of her being a counterbalance to Kitty was a bad idea from the word go, which is probably why it got cut, sadly enough.

Umm, they did not have time for all that kind of character development in the future sections, and the movie was not about her and her redemption. She had three whole movies to do that and it got worse with each one. Let another character else have a chance. The actor playing Quicksilve had limited scenes, but knew his character, which could have been an unlikeable, arrogant *****e as written, instead found the fun in the character and stole all his scenes.

I will be honest, I liked Rogue in the first movie and she is a favorite character of mine, but the writing and acting stalled out there. The character never went from point A to point B and so forth. She always acted or reverted back to the same scare, insecure little girl in all of them. Even if she was not called Rogue, whatever she was playing was just not interesting/dynamic when she was put up against the other characters. You should not HAVE be in a scene with Wolverine to come alive. That should be a bonus. Plus, from what I understand, the cut scenes they were not going to being showing new character development, but her being rescued (again) and taking over for Kitty.

I don't know why people believed some internet rumor that she was going to be flying and jumping and running things when they reported she only filmed for 5 days or less and she was not asked back for the reshoots last fall. That makes absolutely no sense. Stunts like that take a lot of time and rehearsal. They don't just strap you into a harness and say Go!

I did not believe that rumor and knew she only had one scene (though I only recently learned it's because she only and 5 days on the set because of True Blood).

I am simply saying that yes, it could have easily been done. We saw Xavier and Magneto come back together and cooperating in DOFP's future scenes. It wasn't the focus but it is there. I think Rogue simply being present (like Storm) and having one exchange with Magneto and Xavier before going into the final fray could have been done. And I do think it would have immensely repaired her character. Because I saw X2 as the middle ground. She was stronger in X2 as she went back for Logan and saved them all in the jet at the end. X3 fumbled it.

Sorry that you disagree. But just as Xavier and Magneto's relationship was concluded in a few scenes, this also could have been done if not for apparently limited schedule restraints.

Kitty Being injured was always going to happen.That's how rogue entered picture.

Ah...that was my point. They kept Kitty being injured even though they got rid of the Rogue taking over scene.

Kitty being injured ultimately led to nothing other than scenes of Kitty wincing in pain.

Ah...that was my point. They kept Kitty being injured even though they got rid of the Rogue taking over scene.

Kitty being injured ultimately led to nothing other than scenes of Kitty wincing in pain.

Well, it could have also been used to show how tough she was, and that she held on despite her injuries and loss of blood to make sure the mission was complete. Don't know about you, but when I get a deep cut from a knife, and see my blood, I actually get a little fuzzy in the head. She actually kept her composure to not lose focus at the task at hand.

Was pleasantly surprised with Ellen Page's Kitty in this film as i've never really been a fan, of either the character nor the actress so she did a good job there.

That said, I'm still of the mindset that her being injured ultimately led to nothing.

Well, it could have also been used to show how tough she was, and that she held on despite her injuries and loss of blood to make sure the mission was complete. Don't know about you, but when I get a deep cut from a knife, and see my blood, I actually get a little fuzzy in the head. She actually kept her composure to not lose focus at the task at hand.

Yeah, upon second viewing, I really appreciated that scene, because it added depth to Kitty. It showed how tough she was and committed to the mission, no matter what the dangers to her are. I think it makes her quite admirable. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"