Action-Adventure Godzilla Minus One

finally watched this and enjoyed it a lot as well.

i'm a huge fan of the OG 1954 gojira so this felt like a reimagining of that first film.
where they took it in some different directions.

this was godzilla back to basics.

finally watched this and enjoyed it a lot as well.

i'm a huge fan of the OG 1954 gojira so this felt like a reimagining of that first film.
where they took it in some different directions.

this was godzilla back to basics.
Yes. It hits a lot of the same story beats as the original. The events aren't handled exactly the same, but the structure definitely has this coming across as more of a remake than a completely original film.

With a fair bit of Jaws (the whole bit with the minesweeper reminds me a lot of the Orca) for good measure.

I really wish I had the opportunity to see this in theatres because this was legitimately amazing. Everything about this was done so incredibly well. I’m sure the idea of a kamikaze pilot dealing with not having gone through with his suicide attack must have been dealt with in Japanese media but this is the first time I’ve seen something like that and I thought that was just such a brilliant idea to explore. All the other characters were really great too actually including the boat crew, and Noriko and Akiko. There were some especially harrowing moments involving those two in the film that really made me tear up.

One thing I really liked was how animalistic Godzilla was in the opening scene. The way he was moving and the way he was bent over was really like a terrifying rabid dinosaur. Then after the nuclear bombs, he became bigger and more stiff. I thought that was a really cool detail.

Saw this recently and absolutely loved it!

Amazing movie, full of incredible set pieces and tons of heart. Part of me almost hopes this is a one-off and Toho doesn't grind it into the ground with multiple sequels, as much as I'd like to see this story continue...

Second time watching this film, still loved it! However, my roommate wanted to watch the English Dub, which was very meh! Plan on viewing it in Japanese again on Netflix!

Also missed the last ten minutes of the film due to my damn bladder in theatres, so it was great watching it entirely!

Last edited:
Second time watching this film, still loved it! However, my roommate wanted to watch the English Dub, which was very meh! Plan on viewing it in Japanese again on Netflix!

Also missed the last ten minutes of the film due to my damn bladder in theatres, so it was great watching it entirely!

in original language or GTFO! is my motto whenever i watch anything!

From what I've heard, the dub is actually pretty decent.

After missing it in theaters, I finally saw the film. And I really liked it!
The direction is superb, with a great atmosphere in both the action scenes and the more intimate moments.
We care for the characters and the story has a weight. Simply, it's a film with soul.

Now, I still have a few nitpicks to make. Nothing major at all, but it did briefly took me out of the film at times. :

- Godzilla's introductory scene. In itself, it's a great scene, and I understand why the monster is revealed this way, but at the same time, that very bare reveal immediately demystify him to me. It's subjective but I felt like missing something a bit.

- Following this scene, I find it hard to understand Koichi's relationship with this event. We see him having a bad dream about Godzilla, and he recalls him once again during the inspection of the sunken ship, but I was struck by the fact that the character seemed to be able to get through the years without seeming all that shocked at having seen... well, a prehistoric monster. If the point was that he's convinced himself that it was a hallucination due to the trauma of war, I think there's a scene missing to underline it... Maybe it's something that will become clearer to me after a second viewing.

- I love the whole “redemption” arc between Koichi and the mechanic, Tachibana. On the other hand, even though I was moved, I find the happy ending with Noriko's survival a little forced...
I've just discovered a theory about one detail in the scene that could lead to something being exploited in a sequel, so maybe there's another purpose here... anyway, that's not a bid deal.

All in all, a very good and well made film and, for me, miles and miles above what Hollywood is doing.
I understand the argument for offering a funnier side to that franchise but ... Yeah, I'm just going to censor myself here.

If the quality of future Japanese Godzilla productions is on the level of Shin Godzilla and this film, then I really hope that international distribution will be better managed.
These films deserve to be seen in the best conditions and by the greatest number of people.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, the dub is actually pretty decent.
The voice actors might have done a fine job, haven't seen the English dub myself, but they changed one particular line in a way that's just not okay:

Such a confusing change too.
The only reason I can think of for the change was so it matched the actress's mouth movements better but sometimes with dubs they just have to throw caution to the wind, especially in that case.

The voice actors might have done a fine job, haven't seen the English dub myself, but they changed one particular line in a way that's just not okay:

Decades of anime should have prepared you for this. :o

Didn't he just eat people in GMO? I distinctly remember a moment in the Odo Island sequence that felt very similar to the T Rex eating Gennaro in Jurassic Park. Minus the toilet, of course.

The "no dying" part I understand but the "no preying on people or things" sounds like Toho is putting him on probation after their last movie, which won an Oscar no less, featured him almost exclusively preying on people or things. It's like locking Cinderella in the attic after she went to the ball.

cinderella-s-stepmom-locking-the-door-0828khoc3gsbnma7.gif

Didn't he just eat people in GMO? I distinctly remember a moment in the Odo Island sequence that felt very similar to the T Rex eating Gennaro in Jurassic Park. Minus the toilet, of course.
He munched on a few of the repair men, but never swallowed them, just threw their bodies to the side.

... Huh...
What is he supposed to do then?

Please don't turn that very cool run of recent Japanese Godzilla movies into the same diarrhea Hollywood is doing with this creature....
If an Ape and a Lizard can find happiness with each other, then I don't want to know what can't. 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"