Godzilla vs Kong (2021)

ioydS4iR_o.png

The entire third act for World War Z was re-written & re-shot before release, and it was a reportedly a troubled production. But it ended up being a well-received film. It's 60% on RT, B+ on Cinemascore, and went on to make 540m worldwide and I believe was eventually profitable.

Your idea of well received is curious.

The entire third act for World War Z was re-written & re-shot before release, and it was a reportedly a troubled production. But it ended up being a well-received film. It's 60% on RT, B+ on Cinemascore, and went on to make 540m worldwide and I believe was eventually profitable.

How many of you do even remember that movie? I know I don't remember much. And that still wasn't enough for Paramount to greenlight a sequel DIRECTED BY DAVID FINCHER!!

I don't think it was really a succesful or well-received movie. It was probably ok at best in both respects.

200M domestic, 500M+ Worldwide is better than ok. Especially for a production disaster.

Dark Phoenix hopes for as much.

More the reason is Brad Pitt is a producer, wants Fincher, and Fincher wants to spend way more than they’re willing to shell out. So Pitt won’t do it without Fincher.

OT: World War Z did okay especially considering what was going against it. I think it's a good example of a movie that had an extremely troubled production but wasn't a commercial or critical failure.

Was it forgettable? For sure. Was it good? It was ok to me. I don't feel strongly one way or another about it.

From what has been reported the only reason the sequel (which I think would've done poorly) didn't move forward is that Fincher wanted the budget to be 200+ mill and Pitt wanted Fincher for it.
Paramount Scraps David Fincher’s ‘World War Z 2’ over Budget Concerns
David Fincher’s ‘World War Z’ Sequel Shuts Down at Paramount Over Reported Budget Issues

I think it's a fine example. A better example is probably Apocalypse Now. It's an old example, but it apparently was a box office success despite what was probably the worst movie production ever

From what I read it barely broke even. So I wouldn't say it was well received. But it is an example of a troubled production that at least wasn't a bomb

That tweet is not real. It's the Trank tweet from Fan4stic with the image altered to change the name.
Lotta "woosh" going on

Last edited:
Oh, this is a couple of weeks old but...

KotM director Michael Dougherty offers this explanation of how Kong has a fighting chance against Godzilla and how it's not going to be a flawless victory for the latter:

“We’re looking at an almost David vs. Goliath situation. Because everyone, the moment you say Godzilla’s going to fight Kong, your first reaction is Kong doesn’t stand a chance. Godzilla’s got his radioactive breath, et cetera, et cetera.”

“But then if you really take the time to look at Kong as a character, it’s like, okay, in Skull Island he was an adolescent, so he was still growing. So who knows how big he is since the 1970s when they first met him?” Dougherty explained.

“Kong is extremely intelligent...As a primate, he’s a tool-user. So he’s got speed, he’s got agility, he might have some good size.”

“And I like a good underdog battle...You know, it’s like watching Rocky go up against Ivan Drago. It seems like it’s unfair but clearly, this means the underdog might have a few surprises.”

Source

GEE. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE.

190205-batman-ben-affleck-se-108p_1372ca55c5d7e38510e91e63654fcda5.fit-760w.jpg

Again, it's quite obvious at this point that Kong is gonna win. I would be shocked if the outcome would be otherwise.

Oh, this is a couple of weeks old but...

KotM director Michael Dougherty offers this explanation of how Kong has a fighting chance against Godzilla and how it's not going to be a flawless victory for the latter:

Source

GEE. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE.

190205-batman-ben-affleck-se-108p_1372ca55c5d7e38510e91e63654fcda5.fit-760w.jpg

Some one needs to photoshop Kong into this picture. I need Sad Kong to be a meme.

Well, that's somewhat reassuring at least. Less of a risk of them massively reshooting the movie.

Does anyone have any idea what exactly they’re supposedly reshooting? I mean, I guess with a franchise like this, I wonder what kind of retooling they think would make it more successful. With KOTM, most of the complaints I saw were about the humans acting irrationally and foolishly. But that’s kind of a staple for these types of movies. Maybe they want less wanton destruction?

Does anyone have any idea what exactly they’re supposedly reshooting? I mean, I guess with a franchise like this, I wonder what kind of retooling they think would make it more successful. With KOTM, most of the complaints I saw were about the humans acting irrationally and foolishly. But that’s kind of a staple for these types of movies. Maybe they want less wanton destruction?

The reshoots have not been confirmed (yet, at least). It's just that with Toby Emmerich's comments and KOTM's reception, that some people fear they'll do to GvK what they did to Justice League: aka a disjointed, tonally confused Frankenstein mess.

The reshoots have not been confirmed (yet, at least). It's just that with Toby Emmerich's comments and KOTM's reception, that some people fear they'll do to GvK what they did to Justice League: aka a disjointed, tonally confused Frankenstein mess.

Ah, okay. I hope they don't mess with it. While I don't believe JL/F4/Dark Phoenix would have been good movies anyway, I doubt studio meddling helped them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"