Godzilla vs Kong (2021)

This is the best-case scenario move, as WB lacked big pre-Thanksgiving fare this year. WB didn't push GvK back because they were confident in the film (they will retool it), but this is a pretty good switch.

WB could've easily moved it to September or October to die a quick death. They're giving this film a fighting chance with this date.

Look, I love KOTM. But, I wouldn't exactly call the criticisms as wrong.

Yup in the same boat. I was more satisfied with King of the Monsters. I'm surprised the 2014 movie got such better reviews. It was a very clumsy disappointing film in many ways.
I feel the same for both. Both are very clumsy, very disappointing films, but for different reasons. The human characters, who make up the majority of both films, are microcosms of this.

I hope this is to have time to improve special effects and stuff and not to make drastic changes to the movie
Does that ever happen? Them wasting money to improve special effects on a movie they think isn't going to do that well unless they "fix" it?

To be honest I thought they would say it’s dead in the water so this is good news.

what do you think needs to be done to improve the box office? I’m hoping simply being away from endgame will pick it’s numbers up. I genuinely liked the last movie

i am not sad because of the Delay but i m sad we won't getting a Trailer with Star Wars

I feel the same for both. Both are very clumsy, very disappointing films, but for different reasons. The human characters, who make up the majority of both films, are microcosms of this.

It’s been a minute since I’ve seen 2014 Godzilla, but I felt like the humans in that one ate up the entire movie. As for King of the Monsters, I just wanted Mothra to eat Vera Farmiga’s annoying ash character but the humans for the most part were tolerable.

The makers of these movies still have to map out their monster action to human ratio though.

I'm completely fine with the date move. I just hope they won't use the time to shove major reshoots down Wingard's throat and create a Frankenstein monster of a movie. It's happened with Suicide Squad, Justice League and (in Fox's case) The Predator, and in none of those cases did it help the material.

Delays obviously mean they weren't happy with their product so far and didn't have enough time to fix it.
I'm hoping the re-shoots/amendments they make are for the human element - as CGI/monster effects will bloat the budget.
Have they given it enough of a chance with the new date? It's only 2 weeks after Eternals opens...

Oh they’re putting it a few weeks after The Eternals?

Granted it’s an obscure title but it’s still a Marvel movie. That could go either way for the box office with GvK...

They’re selling this solely on the fight. So I can see decent opening numbers but falling fast as they still haven’t found how to make the human characters interesting.

Does that ever happen? Them wasting money to improve special effects on a movie they think isn't going to do that well unless they "fix" it?

It's happened before. I can't give you an example of hand, but there have been times when a movie has been delayed a couple months to touch it up. Now, delaying 8 months for that is unlikely I admit.

You were saying?

*looks over my initial post*

I mean I never denied that it couldn't be pushed back. I literally said “'I'm not saying for sure that it won't be delayed”
I was more saying that it’s annoying and tired when certain members freak out whenever a show or movie’s production or marketing isn’t moving at the pace they like so they come into threads saying: “Oh is it pushed back” “Oh I have a feeling cancelled.” Multiple people have stated that this is annoying and yet members continue to do it and then play victim when called out on it.
If it wasn’t the same 2 or 3 members every time and they didn’t do it so frequently it wouldn’t be called out so much.

Last edited:
The makers of these movies still have to map out their monster action to human ratio though.

Yeah I really hate the whole: "i’m here for the monsters, I don’t care about the humans” thing. That thinking has really hurt both Godzilla movies and Kong in some opinions (I actually think SLJ and his platoon were good along with John Goodman. Larson and Hiddleston were surprisingly bad)

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. You can get great, cool monster action and still have good human characters.

The monsters are a set piece, force of nature you need something else interesting to surround them.

I'm completely fine with the date move. I just hope they won't use the time to shove major reshoots down Wingard's throat and create a Frankenstein monster of a movie. It's happened with Suicide Squad, Justice League and (in Fox's case) The Predator, and in none of those cases did it help the material.

Yeah I can’t think of any movies that underwent major reshoots and were saved in post production. I actually looked through a list of Trouble Productions on TVTropes and couldn’t find anything.

I get the studios thinking, but the damage is done. I don’t think they’re going to be able to get that many more viewers with reshoots.

I still think the fatal flaw of this franchise was not releasing Godzilla vs Kong before KOTM. Think about it, the 2014 Godzilla movie was alright, Skull Island did good, they should’ve struck while the iron was hot. After GvK, who could be a credible antagonist for Godzilla? Ghidorah.

But with the releases the way we got them, I’m supposed to believe a pissed off giant ape can put up more of a fight than a three headed space dragon that can cause thunderstorms by flying alone?

They blew their load too quickly IMO.

Nail on the head. I keep saying for most movies, especially franchise starters, if you don’t release a sequel or have a team up film in 2-3 years you’re gonna hurt the movie financially. There are movies that are able to pull it off, but for the most part I think we get so many blockbusters that people’s minds move on.
They should’ve done 2014= Godzilla, 2016=Kong, 2017= GvK

And as you also pointed out, KotM escalated things so much in terms of monster action that I’m very curious how the Kaijuverse can continue and still feel interesting from the stakes. Godzilla has already fought so many monsters, who seem like they would be tougher than Kong...I don’t see how Godzilla vs Kong is that interesting. Especially when there are no human heroes to rally behind.

To be honest, I found the human characters in "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" to be interesting, and it's what made me like the movie so much. The monsters were secondary for my enjoyment.

@Blackman "Rogue One" is the only one. I don't know if it was improved as I have no idea of what was initially planned by Gareth Edwards, but it was still a great movie.

It's happened before. I can't give you an example of hand, but there have been times when a movie has been delayed a couple months to touch it up. Now, delaying 8 months for that is unlikely I admit.
Happened with Sonic.

To be honest, I found the human characters in "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" to be interesting, and it's what made me like the movie so much. The monsters were secondary for my enjoyment.

@Blackman "Rogue One" is the only one. I don't know if it was improved as I have no idea of what was initially planned by Gareth Edwards, but it was still a great movie.

There's a lot of stuff in the Rogue One trailer that didn't end up in the movie, and the whole climax was different. In the trailer you can see Jyn and Cassian running out onto the beach in the face of Walker fire while carrying the Death Star plans disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"