Going Electric | James Mangold & Timothee Chalamet

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
James Mangold To Direct Timothee Chalamet In Searchlight’s ‘Going Electric;’ Bob Dylan’s Move From Folk To Rock Music

Searchlight Pictures has closed a deal with Ford V Ferrari helmer James Mangold to direct Going Electric. Timothee Chalamet is attached to play Bob Dylan during the period when he was poised to become folk music’s most seminal figure. When Dylan instead embraced rock n roll and traded his acoustic guitar for an amp and an electric guitar, it created a huge outcry. And it cemented the status of rock music. Dylan is working actively with Searchlight and Mangold on the film.

Negotiations are underway with Chalamet, who has gotten strong reviews for Little Women, and who next will make his London stage debut opposite Eileen Atkins in 4,000 Miles, the Old Vic production of Amy Herzog’s Pulitzer-nominated drama. The play bows April 16 and closes May 23rd. It is expected he will do Going Electric after that.

I am not sure if he will sing Dylan’s great songs like Taron Egerton did in Rocketman, or lip synch the way that Rami Malek did for Bohemian Rhapsody. But I’ve heard that Chalamet is already taking guitar lessons so he can familiarize himself with the acoustic and electric guitar.

Mangold, whose Ford V. Ferrari has crossed the $100 million domestic gross mark and got uniformly strong reviews, is doing his second film about an iconic musician after the Johnny Cash-June Carter film Walk The Line. He has done a rewrite on a script written by Jay Cocks (Gangs of New York). Searchlight acquired it after it was turned loose by HBO following the regime change there, with Chalamet quietly attaching at that time. The movie includes the book Dylan Goes Electricby Elijah Wald.

The film will be produced by Jeff Rosen (Dyan’s longtime manager), Veritas Entertainment Group’s Bob Bookman, Alan Gasmer and Peter Jaysen, Automatik’s Fred Berger, The Picture Company’s Alex Heineman and Mangold. Dylan will be exec producer along with Brian Kavanaugh-Jones and Andrew Rona. Dylan’s music rights are part of the package.

From the director of I’m Not There’s antithesis (Walk the Line)...

This should be interesting.

Is it, though? They're both great actors. I don't know enough about Seeger to know who would be a better fit.
Well, Bale has more range (has musician characters in his background) and can actually pull off an American accent.

Cumberbatch... truthfully hasn't been interesting outside of Sherlock and his minor role in 1917, since Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. His Doctor Strange is pretty vanilla - outside off playing of Holland in Spider-Man | NWH.

Bale while killed it as Batman for two, if not three films. He either has been wonderful or the only good part in numerous gritty-middle range films after his masterful work in The Prestige; ala 3:10 To Yuma, I'm Not There (as a Dylan varient), Public Enemies, The Fighter, Out Of The Furnace, The Big Short, and was rad in Ford v Ferrari.

Hell, Bale even made great to fun characters out of **** films... Terminator Salvation, Vice, Amsterdam, American Hustle, and Thor 4.

Well, Bale has more range (has musician characters in his background) and can actually pull off an American accent.

Cumberbatch... truthfully hasn't been interesting outside of Sherlock and his minor role in 1917, since Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. His Doctor Strange is pretty vanilla - outside off playing of Holland in Spider-Man | NWH.

Bale while killed it as Batman for two, if not three films. He either has been wonderful or the only good part in numerous gritty-middle range films after his masterful work in The Prestige; ala 3:10 To Yuma, I'm Not There (as a Dylan varient), Public Enemies, The Fighter, Out Of The Furnace, The Big Short, and was rad in Ford v Ferrari.

Hell, Bale even made great to fun characters out of **** films... Terminator Salvation, Vice, Amsterdam, American Hustle, and Thor 4.

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

Cumberbatch isn't on Bale's level but that doesn't mean he isn't a great actor. There's nothing wrong with his American accent. And not for nothing, he also looks more like Seeger than Bale.

images

03-1965_-_dylan_recor_2735971a.jpg

Timothée Chalamet as Dylan is a no brainer

Bale as Seeger would have been a perfect fit imo, but Cumberbatch I think will be able to pull it off

Obviously it’s the same answer to this as with every other project (strike), but I keep feeling like this should’ve already been made.

I keep seeing updates and thinking “oh?? Footage? First look pics?” and then it’s like nope, they’re still casting.

everytime i come into this thread for updates i get dylan songs stuck in my head, this time it's like a rolling stone, because of the title of the flick. i thought going electric was a better title though.
should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"