Gojira or King Kong?

It's pretty much common knowledge that summer blockbuster means an average (or mediocre) over-advertised, over-hyped movie thats nothing much other than a popcorn movie.

Ultimate Movie-Man said:
It's pretty much common knowledge that summer blockbuster means an average over-advertised, over-hyped movie thats nothing much other than a popcorn movie.

Then I guess it's a stupid term, since some of those "blockbuster movies" deserve the hype and the advertising.

Heh, jaws actually was the movie that made the term exist back then. And it is still to these days one of the greatest adventure movie.

TheSaintofKillers said:
Well, this is a Kong and Godzilla thread, so it does matter a bit. My point was that I was using war of the worlds as an exemple, not as a quality product (which I think it is, but I guess can be discussed, but somewhere else) but as an FX movie. I especially said I didn't want people to respond and tell they liked or didn't like the movie, since it's quality overall didn't matter here. ;)

If you bring the film up, you're opening it up to responses about its quality whether you intended it or not(and my comparison to Kong applies as much to its effects as its overall quality, I find it just as inferior in one aspect as it is in the other to Kong).

Stormyprecious said:
If you bring the film up, you're opening it up to responses about its quality whether you intended it or not.

Sad, then, since it wasn't my goal.

I love the insane variety in depictions of Godzilla.

FormsofGodzilla-1700x410.jpg

There's Inuit-looking, Cookie Monster-looking, Ape-looking (with a stubby nose), Big eyebrows, Gila Monster-faced, Micro-head, hare-lip.....I only compiled those 'cause it was late at night and I got tired, there are millions more. :up:

I a curious to see how different this new generation of CGI fan is, and how far they are.

This is an important one. Do you people think that Jackson's Kong is a better achivement in FX than Spielberg's first Jurassic Park movie ?

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I love the insane variety in depictions of Godzilla.

FormsofGodzilla-1700x410.jpg

There's Inuit-looking, Cookie Monster-looking, Ape-looking (with a stubby nose), Big eyebrows, Gila Monster-faced, Micro-head, hare-lip.....I only compiled those 'cause it was late at night and I got tired, there are millions more. :up:

The big G has always been a fascinating movie monster, with so many variations that it's hard to choose only one. He's just as iconic and varied as Superman or Batman are.

TheSaintofKillers said:
I a curious to see how different this new generation of CGI fan is, and how far they are.

This is an important one. Do you people think that Jackson's Kong is a better achivement in FX than Spielberg's first Jurassic Park movie ?

They are equal.

TheSaintofKillers said:
]The big G has always been a fascinating movie monster, with so many variations that it's hard to choose only one. He's just as iconic and varied as Superman or Batman are.
Yeah, that's what I like. I bought a book of the history of Batman for that reason, it's mind-blowing how much variation you can get, and it's cool to see that it still maintains it's identity with just a few elements.

thealiasman2000 said:
That's another thing:

KIng Kong has four or five movies, Godzilla has 400.

It doesn't have 400! Divide that by ten...it has around 40 movies...or thereabouts.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yeah, that's what I like. I bought a book of the history of Batman for that reason, it's mind-blowing how much variation you can get, and it's cool to see that it still maintains it's identity with just a few elements.

With characters with so many aspects, it always bring so many different fans.

You'll have fans of Happy and superhero Godzilla, fans of the Evil and Godzilla the destroyer, or fans who prefer a version between both.

I'm a fan of all of them, personally, but it's always fun to see Godzilla wars on the net, heh.

Stormyprecious said:
And one Kong movie topped them all.

A Kong only fan usually has only 2-4 version to choose from (I'd be surprise to hear that these more casual fans are actually able to enjoy versions like King kong escapes, though), but hardcore Godzilla fans ?

We have 28 movies to choose from. How lucky are we ? :)

(and us fans of both are even luckier, heh)

thealiasman2000 said:
Come on!

NOTHING can top "Destroy All Monsters"!

I agree. It is still my favorite Kaiju mayhem of all time. Such a monster fest it's incredible to digest. Truly the best way to end the showa godzilla serie. (not that it did, but if you look at the timeline, it would be at the very end)

kaiju20.jpg

TheSaintofKillers said:
A Kong only fan usually has only 2-4 version to choose from (I'd be surprise to hear that these more casual fans are actually able to enjoy versions like King kong escapes, though), but hardcore Godzilla fans ?

We have 28 movies to choose from. How lucky are we ? :)

(and us fans of both are even luckier, heh)

There's only one good version of Kong anyway, PJ just made it good enough that it was the only one I needed.

the 33 and 76 versions are so bad they're good though, entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Stormyprecious said:
There's only one good version of Kong anyway, PJ just made it good enough that it was the only one I needed.

the 33 and 76 versions are so bad they're good though, entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

33 bad ? Of course it is, of course. Maybe in ten years you'll see how even more outdated your great Jackson version will look.

(I felt old typing that, and then I realised you were one year older then me. Wah. You're good, man, very good. :p )

No I won't, since the effects are the least of why I find the 33 and 76 versions laughable, as I stated previously; they're also not why I love PJ's film so much, the Kong/Ann relationship is, not the big monsters beating each other up and breaking stuff(I enjoyed Kong and Ann on the ice far more than Kong kicking V-Rex ash).

"Destroy All Monsters" was shorter, better made and more fun than Peter Jackson's "King Kong".

And who the bad place wants a romantic subpplot in a giant monster movie?

TheSaintofKillers said:
Which one, which one! I Wanna know. :(
my advice is buy the original godzilla vs mechagodzilla

3dman27 said:
my advice is buy the original godzilla vs mechagodzilla

Oh, i've already seen every godzilla movies at least twice, along with every gamera movies and so many other kaiju movies. I'm a giant monster freak.

I was asking because I was curious, and wanted to know if I could advised, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"