Good Moments From Bad Comic Book Movies?

Treat Williams screaming “UNNNBEEEELIEEEEVAAABLLLLLE!” in The Phantom.

Well, okay. It’s not actually GOOD, but it’s hilarious. :funny:

Eddie Brock receives the symbiote first time in the church from Spiderman 3.

That scene always gives me the creeps, low key.
J66LZ2.gif

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is...well, it's not good.

But I've been on a Spidey kick lately throwing random movies on D+ in the background while I work and I couldn't help but stop and pay attention to this scene in the beginning of TASM2.

This whole scene basically does everything right in adapting a fun Spider-Man action sequence from the web swinging to the quips. It's a shame that the movie more or less careens off a cliff not long after this apart from the quieter moments between Peter and Gwen.

I legitimately did like quite a bit the main end credits of TASM2, conveyed well that Spider-Man has to, manages to persevere through a lot and also slyly kind of acknowledging that it was the *5th* movie and making that work (without making fun of that like the intro to ItSV).

That scene always gives me the creeps, low key.
J66LZ2.gif
That blurry Comic Con reveal, those were such exciting times in Hype history. There’s plenty I enjoy in SM3, despite it not living up to the standard SM2 set. Topher Grace as Venom is definitely not one of those things, but the Venom design did have intensity.

I've got one. The GI Joe live-action movies are largely garbage, but the ninja cliffside fight scene was well done. It does things I'm kind of tired of, the slow motion speed up slow motion again, like in 300. However, I like that it looks cool. It feels like a scene ripped right out of the Marvel GI Joe comics. At least it uses a lot of stunt performers in a lot of the shots, and you can see all the main action beats.

The action, fight choreography, and editing in the Snake Eyes movie were terrible. It was spastic and you couldn't see anything. At least in Retaliation, the fight ending was fairly coherent and you could see what was going on.

But yeah this is the best sequence to come out of the whole live-action GI Joe franchise. They never topped it. Not a lot of character development, but I at least like that moment at the end with Jinx embracing Snake Eyes. At least they gave me something.

Last edited:
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is...well, it's not good.

But I've been on a Spidey kick lately throwing random movies on D+ in the background while I work and I couldn't help but stop and pay attention to this scene in the beginning of TASM2.

This whole scene basically does everything right in adapting a fun Spider-Man action sequence from the web swinging to the quips. It's a shame that the movie more or less careens off a cliff not long after this apart from the quieter moments between Peter and Gwen.

Completely agree with you on this. This sequence is good fun. Unfortunately nothing else in the next two hours of this film reaches these levels.

B v S came up on the telly now, and I have to say that regardless of all my deep issues (and disappointment of what could've been) with this movie, I still enjoy the beginning with Batfleck (as Bruce Wayne) trying his best to get to the Wayne building during the catastrophy, and the scenes with him and the little girl. Him looking up at the Kryptonian ship while holding the little girl always work for me.

I kinda also liked how we get introduced to Lois, typically thrown herself into dangerous war zones (a tradition from the Fleischer cartoons (and of course various comics), even though Supes always had to save her back then lol).

Not sure if I will be able to endure the rest of this once again though, just because it was a while since the last watch. I miiiight change my mind..? Yeah, right lol.

B v S came up on the telly now, and I have to say that regardless of all my deep issues (and disappointment of what could've been) with this movie, I still enjoy the beginning with Batfleck (as Bruce Wayne) trying his best to get to the Wayne building during the catastrophy, and the scenes with him and the little girl. Him looking up at the Kryptonian ship while holding the little girl always work for me.

I kinda also liked how we get introduced to Lois, typically thrown herself into dangerous war zones (a tradition from the Fleischer cartoons (and of course various comics), even though Supes always had to save her back then lol).

Not sure if I will be able to endure the rest of this once again though, just because it was a while since the last watch. I miiiight change my mind..? Yeah, right lol.
I liked the various scenes of “talking heads” as they — meta-textually — debated and analyzed the meaning of Superman. (Some of these figures were fictional, like Senator Finch; some were real, like Charlie Rose, Andrew Sullivan and Neil deGrasse Tyson.)

It’s questionable how much “literary” depth Superman has as a character. (After all, he was originally conceived as an action hero, primarily aimed at a youth audience.) But there’s richer material from a psychological, cultural, philosophical or theological perspective. Indeed, many articles and scholarly essays (including PhD dissertations) have been written on these topics. So it was satisfying (for me) to see some of these analyses dramatized.

Though not a “talking head,” Luthor also engages in a kind of philosophical deconstruction of Superman — in the tradition of villains who occasionally speak the truth. See:

i really liked the scene where johnny blaze turned into ghost rider in the prison cell, i didn't really like the film apart from that scene. i liked the guys daredevil movie though.

Elektra’s training scene as “Bring Me To Life” blares in the background in Daredevil.

I thought that scene was so bad it made me dislike the song in it while otherwise I like it a lot.

I do think some of the dramatic scenes with Elektra (on the rooftop in rain and the funeral) and Bullseye's kills in the bar and on the plane were pretty good.

Wolverine origins was a weak movie, but i loved the motorcycle scene where he gets to use his adamantium claws for the first time.
It's the only cool motorcycle scene in superhero movie history, the motorcycle scene in first avenger was a bore and in ghost rider they were just cgi overload with no real thrills, i havent seen the 2nd ghost rider movie though maybe that will have some good bits of motorcycle frenzy in it.
also the opening credits to origins were good, although i was disapointed that we didnt get to spend time on those wars in the actual movie.

I wouldn't personally label Superman Returns a "Bad Movie" but admit it's far from great. I respect it for what it is as a tribute and continuation of the Donner films. But it has a couple amazing scenes that are favorites of mine.
The plane rescue that ends in the baseball field. One of my favorite Superman film moments and love how it shows the plane crumple from the reduced g-force and such plus the classic Superman lines once he enters the plane. Also, the recreation of Action Comics #1 cover.

As mentioned by whoknows, X-men Origins Wolverine. The war and battle scenes from various points of history that Logan was part of was cool to see on film.

Batman & Robin, I enjoy Uma Therman's Poison Ivy. Otherwise, not a fan of that film.

Ghostrider, I enjoyed the first film (loved the riide through the desert with both riders). Ghostrider 2 had some awesome visual moments but pretty bad.

I see someone else mentioned The Phantom. I'll say that The Phantom and The Shadow are both guilty pleasures of mine. I simply enjoy them both.

I know a lot of comic purists don't like the 1984 "Supergirl" movie, and I'll admit its a little hokey in places...but so were many of the actual books at that time. I personally think Helen Slater is the best portrayal of Kara we've been given so far, and Faye Dunaway was completely believable as someone completely consumed with her own ego. Most of the supporting cast was good, especially Peter O'Toole as "Zaltar". On the whole, I give the film an 8 out of 10.

In my estimation, the “flying stunts” in Supergirl (whether on-location wire work or studio front projection) were better than STM. And they were unquestionably better than SII, SIII or SIV.

But beyond that, there’s not much to admire about the film.

In my estimation, the “flying stunts” in Supergirl (whether on-location wire work or studio front projection) were better than STM. And they were unquestionably better than SII, SIII or SIV.

But beyond that, there’s not much to admire about the film.
Well, Helen said that all her trainers and such with the wire work and flying, were the same people who had worked with Chris Reeve. And "Supergirl" was the last one in the series masterminded by the Salkinds - they were trying to use it as a spinoff after the disaster that was "Superman III". But when Kara's film failed, they sold the rights to Golan-Globus, which later had Sidey Furie produce "The Quest for Peace".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"