Guardians of the Galaxy GOTG critics review/Rotten Tomatoes discussion - Part 1

Only two films I've given 1/10 to (or, going by my 5-star system I use outside of Hype, 1/2*) in recent years were Detention of the Dead and American Mary. Both hellish experiences, watching them felt like torture. Not even containing enough merit to enter "so bad it's hilarious" territory, which can garner a film * or 2/10 in my estimations.

Only two films I've given 1/10 to (or, going by my 5-star system I use outside of Hype, 1/2*) in recent years were Detention of the Dead and American Mary. Both hellish experiences, watching them felt like torture. Not even containing enough merit to enter "so bad it's hilarious" territory, which can garner a film * or 2/10 in my estimations.

American Mary was horrible? Damn, I heard it was good. That sucks because the directors of it are directing See No Evil 2 which I'm stoked for.

Dammit... Another rotten.

It'll probably end on DOFP's score.

By the end of the year it will either be at 91% or 92%. Nothing wrong with that score at all.

10 positives to remain at 92% after another rotten, 26 positives to get back to 93% at the current rotten count. Given TWS and DOFP's current review total, I'd say the latter is going to take a while, probably never if we get another rotten.

Well when you hear 9 out of 10 people would recommend there always have to be those who will fall under that remaining 10%. Luckily most will ignore them.

GOTG has now got 223 reviews with 9 straight positives since the last rotten. How many positives does it need to get to 93%?

205/18

Wow, that's still quite a lot! I doubt it will reach 93% now because reviews on average usually really slow down or stop about the 225-230 range although it's still possible.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier stopped at 238 reviews
X-Men: Days of Future Past stopped at 234 reviews
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 stopped at 255 reviews
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes stopped at 235 reviews
Edge of Tomorrow stopped at 240 reviews
Godzilla stopped at 257 reviews

Guardians of the Galaxy currently at 223 reviews

Last edited:
It'll take months if not several years to collect 17 more reviews. There are always stragglers.

Plus, I'm calling it now: Guardians of the Galaxy will win the Academy Award/Oscar for Best Visual Effects in February.

I think Apes is a lock on that one.

I strongly doubt Guardians will win any oscars, even technical ones. The movie may have reviewed well, but the actual academy voters are notably stodgy.

NOTHING is a lock until Interstellar premieres. Then we can have a discussion.

It doesn't need to be the next Gravity to win a technical award. If the effects are groundbreaking in some way and the film is well received, a vfx Oscar is quite possible

My only point was that you can't declare any movie a lock until you've seen all the competition.

GOTG has now got 226 reviews with 12 straight positives since the last rotten. How many positives does it need to get to 93%?

208/18

I think TASM2 slipped from 54 to 53%. I'd assume that'd have to do with the video release. Don't know where that recent negative reviewer came from in terms of almost 2 months after the release and 2 months before the dvd release.

Damn, those 4 negatives really hurt the score. It's going to take 11 more positives without a negative to get back to 92%, which seems impossible now given the review threshold has been reached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"