Gotham Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" General Discussion

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Sawyer, Sep 15, 2014.

?

What did you think of Gotham?

1. 10.) What an incredible show!

2. 9.) It was really good!

3. 8.) I really enjoyed myself

4. 7.) I liked it.

5. 6.) Meh

6. 5.) Not very good

7. 4.) That was pretty bad

8. 3.) Awful

9. 2.) Dreadful

10. 1.) Give me Batman and Robin over this anytime of the week!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MechaOrga Registered

Glad i can help. If you go to the nick Jr website you guys can see clips of him.

he's a BIG smiley goofball (6'3 i think) and VERY skinny. Hard worker...and he can white boy rap too :)

I'm pretty sure they cast him against type to bring him back and act a little homicidal (if at the very least for a false red herring)

2. Infinity9999x Registered

Yeah...I'm against the Joker happening in this show, but not just because I don't want to see his backstory. The Joker can never be "the Joker" until Batman is already Batman. The Joker doesn't become the Joker until Batman shows up, in fact, Batman is paramount to his creation.

That's the issue I have with the entire concept of Gotham in general. I'm not sure if I'll like this show even if it's handled very well, simply because I don't like the idea of the "freak" villains showing up before Batman does. That was always one of the things I liked about Gotham in the comics, the idea that the freaks didn't show up until Batman did, and the argument that maybe they're there BECAUSE of Batman. It's an argument that can be made. The Joker's origins are directly tied to Batman, and the Joker bases his purpose off Batman. The Riddler is similar. He only sticks around because Batman is one of the few people smart enough to provide him with an adversary.

Many of the Bat-villains are obsessed with Batman in one way or another, and owe their creation to him in one way or another. And I can't help but feel this show will pull a Smallville and start progressing characters farther than they should be. Whereas in Smallville you had a Clark Kent who, by the end of the show, was working at the Daily Planet, dating Louis Lane, and had a full rouge's gallery...all before he was Superman, I don't want to see a Gotham city where all of Batman's famous villains are already fully formed before he shows up. That's just not my image of Gotham.

3. Lilbaz Registered

Think the show will go along the lines of, it's the city that creates these freaks (including Batman). Hence the title.

4. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

This x 1000 :up:

5. kguillou Registered

I completely agree with you and I'm certain that we're not going to see this anyway. Im certain because quite honestly it would be ridiculous and nonsensical to have Gordon go up against Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Croc, Solomon Grundy, Ra's Al Ghul etc. I think the most we will see is MAYBE Penguin building his criminal empire, the early signs of Harvey Dent's psychosis, Selina Kyle becoming more of a nefarious thief, and maybe MAYBE the Red Hood. But we wont get the full fledged Joker or any of the fully formed "famous" Batman villains.

Although I can maybe see minor vilains popping up in their full form like The Ventriloquist, or Mad Hatter or Hugo Strange.

6. Lilbaz Registered

Agree with this apart from Ra's Al Ghul. Don't think he will personally appear. But the League of Assassins was around before Batman so there is no reason why they can't appear.

7. Mysteryman Registered

If they are teasing potential Joker candidates , they have to pay it off somehow

8. Infinity9999x Registered

But that's my point. Gotham didn't have the freaks until Batman. Before Batman, it was just a very bad city. Think Detroit on steroids...(well, you wouldn't need all that many steroids...) It had an abundance of crime and organized crime, but nothing unusual. Until Batman showed up. Gotham didn't create Batman. Thousands of kids go through what Bruce Wayne did, but Bruce was the one who took it upon himself to make himself something of it.

Batman is the one who created the Gotham we know and love in the comics. Not the other way around. That's the interpretation that I have always favored, the Yin and Yang relationship Gotham has to Batman. The idea that maybe Batman is attracting these kinds of "freak" criminals.
    I hope so. I don't really think it would be appropriate to see any villains beyond the likes of the Mob families displayed in Y1 and TLH, the Penguin building his empire, and maybe a pre-dummy Ventriloquist or a pre-Black Mask Sionis People like that, who are connected to the mob and are more of the "real-world" villains. I wouldn't want Hatter in full "Hatter" mode yet, but seeing Strange already begin some unethical medical practices could fit. I also think watching Riddler go from a smart lab guy who slowly devolves into madness could be interesting too, but again, he shouldn't ever go "full-Riddler" until Batman shows up.

I'm not sure about Dent, because he's always been presented as the same age as Bruce, but alluding to his abusive father (if he's shown as a friend of childhood Bruce) could certainly be interesting.

Thank you sir.:woot:

9. Infinity9999x Registered

Again, they had no reason to be drawn to Gotham until Batman came on their radar. Unless of course you're going with the Nolan interpretation.

Now, I wouldn't mind Gordon dealing with an amazing assassin taking hits out on people and when he finally catches him the guy kills himself, but alludes to a larger organization. Gordon could catch the fringes of the League, learn hints of it, but he shouldn't completely uncover it.

10. Infinity9999x Registered

That's the trouble with today's youth, just because a lady teases doesn't mean she has to show you anything:cwink:

In all seriousness though, I'd rather they never reveal the secret than do it in a way that would undermine basic core fundamentals of who the character is.

11. kguillou Registered

You gotta admit though, it'd be pretty awesome if the series ended with a scene like this:

(Batman and Gordon meet on a rooftop)

Batman: Commissioner, I'm Batman. I'm here to help.

Gordon: Actually, Batman, we're good.

Batman: You're what?

Gordon: We're good, I got this covered. Now if you'll excuse me * puts on glasses and mustache* Bane's tearing up the streets again.

12. Mysteryman Registered

you never know, they may have come up with a way to introduce the character without compromising him at all.

13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Batman will finally come on the scene and Gordon will tell him they cleaned up the streets years ago so he's a decade too late.

14. batbax Registered

With the orgasm of rogues busted on our faces in the pilot I was half expecting to see a young Dorrance bane introduced. I can see it now. Gordon follows a lead to a seedy gotham night club with an s and m theme. He traverses the club to stumble upon a sprightly masked gimp with a slight breathing problem.
    Gordon: "you look familiar somehow"
    Dorrance: "for you"
    Gordon: "r u from South America or somethin"?
    Dorrance: "Of cooorrshh"Fade to black.

Oh if only...

15. Frodo Registered

I agree.Theoretically they could. I think alot of fans are using the Nolanverse as a template for what can and cannot be done in this version, and if that's their expecting, I think they're gonna be disappointed .

Now i'd be surprised if Ras is used given that Arrow is already using him for their third season, but there's nothing that says the League can't appear in Gotham yet, nor that the freaks begin to emerge before Batman arrives. For good or ill, this is Heller's version of the myths, so he's got alot of freedom to tell his version of the myths without having to follow what Nolan or Burton did. Whether fans agree with his creative choices or not is another discussion. However, I think fans not to be cautious about assuming what the Gotham team will and won't do in terms of telling their version of the story.

16. Lilbaz Registered

Don't think they will go full freak (wearing costumes and such). But there does need to be something fantastical. Otherwise this is just another cop show. Just set in a fictional city.

17. Bathead The Oldest Geek

I really don't see why. If they were to say "Yes, this particular guy will become the Joker" That would be a HUGE mistake. Joker works better when his real background is a big question mark.

18. blksuperman2 Deadly Akuma

lol

In all seriousness though, Where can this series go though? What's going to set it apart from all of the other countless Crime Drama's out there? As much as people hate the idea, eventually there's going to have to be a full-fledged rogues villain on the show. Perhaps they'll just use a low-tier villain like Clock King or Ventriloquist but I think eventually we're going to get Batman Villains wrecking havoc far before the Dark Knight enters the scene.

19. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

That's what i'm thinking. While it's cool to see Batman's well known rogue gallery in their earlier days, the show would benefit from showcasing lesser known villains in the vain of Beware The Batman.

20. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Gotham wasn't that bad really.
    To ME it's one thing if all the Bat-Movies and TV shows were all in the same universe, but none of them seem to be. So it's just another world

21. terry78 We are the Flintstone Kids

Regarding Joker we're probably gonna get a lot of red herrings over the course of the series alluding to all his supposed origins but we'll never find which is the actual.

22. Frodo Registered

That's how I see it. Gotham is a whole new ball game with its own rules, the same way Batman vs Superman will tell the Batman myth the way they want to with their own rules. That's why I give the creators leeway to tell the story the way they want to as opposed to religiously following what Nolan did or what Burton did etc.

23. Frederic Registered

I enjoyed this! I didn't realize the Batman universe had so many diverse characters in the comics. This TV show has a lot to work with if they want to take characters from the comics and build future stories involving them.

24. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

In the Joker's case, that's actually impossible, to reveal his backstory undermines him, they can have a bunch of potential jokers, but they should never make it clear who will be the Joker, to give him an origin prior to Batman appearing outright compromises the character. I don't expect to see the Joker, as I'd like to think the showrunners realize how much introducing him prior to Batman betrays the character.

25. shauner111 Registered

Exactly.