Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 1 "Pilot" General Discussion

A mixed bag, but overall a decent start. Like everyone else, I found a lot of the dialogue to be cheesy and the references were all way too heavy-handed for my tastes, but that kind of clunkiness is common with many pilots. It's got a great cast, setting, and general foundation, so hopefully it will build from here.

Also, Donal Logue and Harvey Bullock are a match made in heaven.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed it. The Bullock/Gordon dynamic was awesome.

REALLY liked the pilot. Wasn't perfect but was compelling enough to keep me interested in seeing what happens next. I couldn't say the same thing when I watched Agents of Shield last year.

Ben Mckenzie is PERFECT as young Gordon, he has great screen presence. Logue is great as Bullock and the two make a great team. At first I wasn't really keen on the young actor they got playing Bruce but his scene at the end with Gordon, the look in his eye when he said " I'm glad they haven't found him, because I want to see him again," was well done.

I think this show has SERIOUS potential to be a great, dark, compelling police drama about crime, corruption and overcoming the darkness. The one major hurtle this show's going to have to overcome is surprising us by showing different facets of these characters that we think we know so well. We know James Gordon is a good, honest man but this show is going to have to take James down the rabbit hole and show just how far he is willing to go to survive this deteriorating city. We need to see James pushed to the edge and find the strength not to fall over.

I give the pilot 8.5/10. My interest is piqued.

I thought it was ok. Being a pilot, it was a little rough.

Depending on how long the show stays on the air, I wonder if we will eventually see batman's first appearance in Gotham by the shows series finale. Or other major villains like Ras or even the Joker. Though they have said that pre joker will be on the show at some point. Of course there would have to be a big time jump of course. But I would be down to see a full fledged Batman show based in this shows universe. The city looks like the comic book Gotham ( which is what I wanted the Nolan movies gotham).

I can't imagine Ra's appearing on this show.

It was ok. Visually looks good. The dialogue was very exposition-y but that's expected in the pilot. It will be interesting to see if they can make a reason to come back beyond just teasing future villains.

I liked it... very atmospheric... Gotham City has the right amount of seediness to it in the way of look and feel... and Oswald is a vicious little bastard... loving Fish Mooney, as well... nice job allaround by the entire cast...

The only scene that flat-out had me rolling my eyes was the one between Barbara and Renee.

I liked it. It was a cop show set in Gotham and that's all I could of asked for.

why do I have the feeling that Barbara and Montoya once had a thing for each other?... just that last comment that Montoya made to Barbara about Jim not knowing her the way that she does...

Fish Mooney surprised me. She looked very cheesy from the promos but she turned out to be ruthless. We need more villains like that.

Nobody noticed the stand up comic rehearsing for Fish Mooney in the scene where Oswald was massaging her feet and then called Oswald out for betraying her? Nobody??!! Hello? Some may think it's far fetched but one of the joker's "rumored" back stories was that he was a stand up comic.

This is basically Gordon Begins. We'll see how he became one of the few honest cops in the city, with only Montoya and later Bullock by his side.

Nobody noticed the stand up comic rehearsing for Fish Mooney in the scene where Oswald was massaging her feet and then called Oswald out for betraying her? Nobody??!! Hello? Some may think it's far fetched but one of the joker's "rumored" back stories was that he was a stand up comic.

I believe you're onto something there...

I didn't want to bring it up because I mentioned it on Tumblr and a HUGE stir came out of it, but I don't buy it. It's possible, but.....eh, IDK.

Although he wasn't that good of a comedian in his possibly made up backstory.

joker-stand-up-gotham-the-joker-revealed-in-new-stills-from-the-pilot.jpeg

They definitely placed some emphasis on the comedian....but I honestly think it was a deliberate red herring. It's not the Joker.

Hopefully he's one of the many Joker candidates we see in the series.

The Joker was definitely my first thought when I saw the stand-up comic, but then I thought it might end up being a recurring thing in the background just to introduce many Joker candidates throughout until they're ready to introduce him for real.

This is basically Gordon Begins. We'll see how he became one of the few honest cops in the city, with only Montoya and later Bullock by his side.

how long until Montoya and Gordon become allies instead of just not trusting one another

also some future reference to Gordon cleanup the GCPD I think

Last edited:
They definitely placed some emphasis on the comedian....but I honestly think it was a deliberate red herring. It's not the Joker.

The producers said they'll be teasing the Joker all season and hinting at his various 'origin' stories here and there throughout the series.

They want to keep the audience guessing at who'll turn out being the Joker.

The producers said they'll be teasing the Joker all season and hinting at his various 'origin' stories here and there throughout the series.

They want to keep the audience guessing at who'll turn out being the Joker.

Multiple choice. This is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"