Gotham Season 1, Episode 22 "All Happy Families Are Alike" General Discussion

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Kane52630, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Broseph44 Witness Me

The Barbara stuff is just making me smh so hard. That's definitely been the one thing I've consistently disliked about this show and its first season. Selina joining Fish also seemed completely random and made no sense to me.

2. Loki882 Registered

So Selina just suddenly decides to become Fish's lacky? Help me out here, did I miss something? Where the Hell did this come from? It had like no buildup at all, and it completely contradicts her character up until this point. Plus it was just shoehorned into the finale.

3. LostSon88 Registered

I think what really irked me was how callous her attitude was towards Gordon...as if she didn't even know him and could care less if he was killed.

4. Loki882 Registered

I just don't buy her turning this completely bad (also flat out villainous Selina just bores me in general), especially not is ridiculously fast.

5. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

I think shoehorned just about sums it up, it's like they felt they needed to have Selina in the finale and couldn't think of anything for her to do so they just had her join with Fish out of nowhere, it sure as hell seems like her role in the episode was originally just gonna be Fish lackey #3.

6. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

It just felt like since it was the finale, they had to have all the important characters in it even if it made no sense what they were doing.

7. Broseph44 Witness Me

Yeah Selina's role in this finale was really just way out of left field. Pointless.

8. Human Torch Registered

They really screwed up Selina these final few eps. She was pretty cool during her first meeting with Bruce,but she went from savvy street kid to hardened criminal over like 2 episodes. It's just too much.

9. BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

Selina joining Fish was kinda dumb. Fish's hair was also all kinds of ugly. Glad Butch survived. I wonder how Penguin will take his betrayal.

The scenes with Barbara were surprisingly tense. It was clear that she'd gone psycho but I thought she'd poison Leslie so I was shocked when the knife came out.

Riddler talking to himself was the best part of the episode. I got chills when he said of Kris, "She'd respect you more if she feared you," or something along those lines. He's going to be the highlight of next season, just like Penguin was for this season.

10. Jason Kane Registered

What's the ****ing point of hate watching other than your viewership still being counted to where it can get another year on the air

11. Astro13Zombie Registered

That fight was hot. :awesome:
    Yeah

I couldn't help but laugh when he said that. :funny:

#111 Astro13Zombie, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  12. Rufus22 Registered

Just finished watching this episode so I'm going bullet point before it all fade away.

Liked:

•Nygma’s decent into madness.
    •What’s to become the “Batcave” reveal
    •Penguin’s titanic moment (I’m the King of Gotham!)

Didn’t like:

•The hospital shootout
    •Goradon’s/Bullock’s phone conversation acting as a recap for the viewer 11 minutes into the show.
    •Falcone’s sudden change of heart concerning his mod career
    •The dead end story arch for Fish. (Seriously what was the point of the Doll Maker island sub-plot? Couldn’t she have said goodbye at the peer and then faded to black?)

Neutral on crazy Barb

13. Bathead The Oldest Geek

My sentiments exactly. Luckily, it is my kind of thing.

14. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Mine too. I did think the show lost its way a little bit during the Dollmaker Arc, but I really enjoyed the Ogre episodes and the finale.

15. LostSon88 Registered

Funny thing is, even as a psycho, Barbara still was a dud. Lee overpowered her and knocked her out, lol.

Woman just can't catch a break...

16. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

Nothing.

The issue is that it's poorly written. Character development is great but not when it's illogical and contrived. Silliness isn't a bad thing but it makes for tonal confusion when it is mixed with very dark, adult shades and there's no equilibrium.

#116 Brother Jack, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  17. Frodo Registered

I just use a phrase that Modern Myth Media came up in reference to Gotham which is , " Well, that's Gotham". It pretty much sums it up. I don't think the show is consistent enough to say its committed to any tone , and if anything its all over the place. That said, your general idea of the series not likely getting much better or changing drastically I agree with.

18. AllegedObserver Registered

I agree with your likes. I even liked how Fish's demise seems to be rather vague so she can come back -- again.

I liked Falcone's direction. He's an old time gangster and he has to leave and take stock of the "new blood" and re-oragnize. And you just know DOn Falcone will be back, at some point, stronger and more corrupting than ever.

Fish's little subplot with Dollmaker, while interesting, was kinda weird. Dollmaker will almost undoubtedly be making future appearances. Although the random dim-witted thugs Fish used to escape totally reminded me of the goons from the old Batman 60s TV show (names like "Butch" and "Riff" and "Raff" and so on).

19. AllegedObserver Registered

Have to watch out for Heller, though. His other series, the Mentalist, was a fantastic show... right up until the end of the Red John arc and the series changed to being FBI Jane and his merry band of feds (which ruined the show for me). Heller pushed the show is very interesting directions, but I feel he went too long on Red John. Why am I saying this? I just hope he doesn't do this with Gotham and we can see Gotham episodes into season six or seven.

20. Hulk1968 An agent of chaos...

As for Fish - Jada Pinkett Smith only signed on for one season and didn't renew for another season, so Fish is as good as dead.

Hopefully season 2 will be much better. I mean, I liked it for what it was but that ending... yeah... didn't expect that ending with a lot of characters dying off and Cat's turn to being used by Fish.

21. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Entertaining finale, as silly as it was. My thoughts:

-Jim guarding Falcone and Penguin was fun and different. Still love Mckenzie as Gordon, and anytime they show the whole 'one good cop against the world' thing, I eat it up.
    -Though as cool as it was to see 'Jim Wick', it felt like a different show.
    -Fish coming back to Gotham and running into Selina was more of the laughably bad storytelling that the show is known for. Selina joining Fish is another example. That kind of thing belongs in a different episode with more time to flesh out that story.
    -But Fish with the new eye is kinda....cool? Somehow.
    -All the major players meeting and settling the score was simultaneously exciting and embarrassingly juvenile. They make crime seem like some playground game.
    -The way the conflicts between all the players (Falcone, Maroni, Fish, Penguin) were resolved didn't seem like what the previous episodes were building to. All the potential was flushed down the drain.
    -Barbara going nuts felt believable to me, and I think it's an interesting story. The fight with Tompkins was terrifying (especially since I really thought one would die), but unfortunately it was still somehow ridiculous . It sucks how there wasn't a follow up scene with Barbara too. This whole story belonged in a different episode (where Jim doesn't have another story on his plate).
    -Riddler's scene was great, but it belonged in a different episode as well.
    -Fish v Penguin was hilarious and disappointing, specifically the way Fish loses.
    -Falcone and Jim's last scene was nice. The dynamic between a lawman and a crime boss is interesting.

I'll watch next season. It's not a good show by any means, but for some reason I enjoy it.

#121 FeedOnATreeFrog, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  22. Justin Registered

I think it's a good show. Very good actually. Just not a great one.

Like, no I'm not going to remember Gotham Season One in ten years time. But I've enjoyed watching it for what it was. Better than 99% of other shows out there in my opinion, so overall I liked it.

In regards to the finale, I agree they tried to give everyone screentime which meant some shoe-horning. This episode could have done without Selina, Ed and even Alfred and Bruce but I get why they were there.

23. Cobblepot Giant-Size Man-Thing

The whole Ogre/Barbra thing really took away from the Mob wars. I don't understand why they wouldn't focus on that more. The Ogre story was just unnecessary.

24. brunotaylor Registered

Great ending, Catwoman and The Riddler finally comes!

Btw, whats the link between the Bruce's parent and Batman?
    Because, Bruce find a controller that opened a secret place (should be the BatCave), but why?!
    In the story, there's no link between batcave/batman/bruce's dad;

25. Bathead The Oldest Geek

Other than Thomas Wayne being Bruce's father, no real connection between him and Batman per se.
    As far as the Batcave goes, it is a part of the canon that the cave was used by Wayne ancestors as a part of the Underground Railroad that helped slaves escape from the South during the Civil War, and, since the mansion has been around that long, it's likely there are secret entrances to it all over the grounds. Thomas Wayne, more than likely aware of his family's history, probably knew about the entrance behind the fireplace, and added a remote control so he could use the cave for his own purposes, which no doubt will be revealed next season.