Gotham Season 1, Episode 3 "The Balloonman" General Discussion

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Sawyer, Sep 17, 2014.

1. NoLaNitE007 Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

This episode wasn't as good as the 2nd episode IMO. This one had more of a campy type of baddie...but they kept it relatively dark. Thought the pacing could have been better in this one.

I think Episode 4 will be more like EP 2.

Good ending to see Oswald going to Barb and Gordons place. Should be interesting to see where that goes next week.

I knew Barb and Montoya were former lovers. You can sense it from EP1.

Liked seeing Barb get emotional while asking Gordon if he would kill in cold blood (Oswald) and see how she reacted to what he said about it. JPSmith is so wickedly delicious and hot in this show and Taylor as Oswald/Penguin is revelation also.

2. NoLaNitE007 Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

This show is NOT for kids and it lets you know before the show even starts. Get over it....

3. NoLaNitE007 Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

Agreed.

I think next weeks EP will step it up.

4. NoLaNitE007 Do u Bleed? Do ya Punk?

I was thinking the same.

5. StarLord < < < < < < <

Ever heard of quoting instead of multiple posts in a row?

6. bullets bang bang

I think they've got the right approach. I don't want them to go through the most popular villians right away. We're probably going to see a lot of silly gimmicks , but soon we'll have Zsaz and at least balloon man wasn't hammy. He was more of a vigilante

7. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

Then what was he? Just because he was a vigilante doesn't make the character any less ridiculous. Visually and logistically it didn't hold water even in a story as campy as this one.

8. bullets bang bang

I was referring to the character , not the method of execution.

9. combocaz Registered

I cant get into this show, i'll watch a few more but im not feeling it.

10. Boy Scout Registered

Nothing really exciting happened. Anything that was even remotely good about the episode was everything that was good about the last two. It seems like they're recycling the same old conversations and interactions over and over again and I don't really find any of it entertaining anymore. I thought "Ballonman" was really stupid (in both concept and execution) and I really, really, really am tired of Barbara's ex-lover.

I'll give it a 5. By far the most boring episode yet.

11. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

Yeah, nothing has really happened on the show to reel me in. Anything that could do so doesn't get enough attention and the things that don't catch my attention are getting far too much time. I'll give it a few more chances since Arrow took several episodes to really find its footing (though I must say it still was a lot more focused in the beginning than Gotham has been) but after that I'll pass on the rest of the season and just check if it gets better later on.

12. Boy Scout Registered

I plan on giving it two more episodes. If it doesn't hook me by then, I'll take a break until the mid-season finale, and if that doesn't do it, I'm done.

13. Rowsdower! Registered

Was that a nod to the Shadow in this episode, when the Balloonman killed the dirty cop?

14. Frodo Registered

I think it was since the Cop's last name was Cranston. Lamont Cranston was the Shadow, or at least one of the versions.

15. TheBat812 Registered

I think it's interesting how much harsher people are being on this show compared to flash. Both are incredibly comicky and conventional as hell, but I'm enjoying both quite a bit. Neither is trying to be breaking bad.

Also, balloon man felt straight out of btas.

#165 TheBat812, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  16. Human Torch Registered

The problem in a nutshell is,we're living in an age of Superheros on tv with Arrow & Flash,soon to be Daredevil,Supergirl,etc.Gotham is in the Smallville mold of teasing what you know (or at least hope) will come later.People don't want to wait for Batman to grow up in ten years,when you have Arrow doing Batman's gig over on the other network,yesterday.We expect more these days.That's why this show is a tough sell.Smallville today would be a tough sell.These prequel shows are bidding on 1999 level expectations.

[​IMG]

17. blksuperman2 Deadly Akuma

I actually found this episode refreshing. Once Gordon made the decision not to kill Cobblepot I figured they'd go all season w/ Barbara having doubts and some lame plot about "Secrets & Lies" that plagued "Smallville" for years.

I also enjoyed every scene w/ young Bruce and you could see the wheels turning on how he'd go about fighting crime in the future. Alfred also went up a few notches w/ his playful nature.

18. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

[​IMG]

19. Rowsdower! Registered

Ah you're right! Good catch!

20. shauner111 Registered

If the name of the episode, and villain is "The Balloonman" then i know this show isn't for me. Cheesy crap like this is why comic books and comic book movies have had such a bad reputation for being silly and dumbed down by non comic book readers for all these years. And with a villain like that, who uses weather balloons to kill their victims (when the balloons could barely hold up a baby, not an adult)...i dont blame people for turning their noses up.

All i had to do was say the name "Balloonman" to a friend of mine who didn't watch any of the episodes yet. I said that to him yesterday and he bursted into laughter "what the hell are they doing??".

21. Rodrigo90 Wink wink ;)

The Balloonman and The Teddybearman are going to be the next big things! :argh:

:p

#171 Rodrigo90, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  22. batbax Registered

Well no I think the problem is the execution. I think the concept doesn't matter as much as what comes across on screen. If the show was coherent and made you care about what's happening on the show I think it could work out just fine. But so far it's a total mess IMO.

23. Kane52630 Timmverse User

[​IMG]

24. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

Yeah, I think the show is squandering its potential atm, and I'm not even sure what they're squandering it in favor of, it lacks focus. I really want this show to pull itself together because I think it has a great amount of potential, but I'm just not seeing signs of it doing so yet.

25. Kane52630 Timmverse User

Oh man you know what's silly? Batman. A dude who dressed up as a bat and fight crime? what's this silly dumb down cheesy ***?