Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 7 "Penguin's Umbrella" General Discussion

As for what Barbara did. More then one hero/heroin has has had their plan destroyed by their love interest returning after they had beeen sent away to safety.

I also have to say Gordon getting shot 3 times was way OTT.I think it kinda stretches credulity to have Captain America get shot three times, and still keep plugging along.But to have Jim Gordon "The Everyman",getting shot three times,take a nap after losing three pints of blood and go back into action-

[YT]puMpkrNqMps[/YT]

I also have to say Gordon getting shot 3 times was way OTT.I think it kinda stretches credulity to have Captain America get shot three times, and still keep plugging along.But to have Jim Gordon "The Everyman",getting shot three times,take a nap after losing three pints of blood and go back into action-

[YT]puMpkrNqMps[/YT]
You will be surprised what person can survive and still be able to fight.

The series is getting better each episode.

At first when the series was announced, I wasn't too hot on the idea of Penguin being the main villain draw as I never EVER saw the character as interesting. But seriously…his arc is easily the best part of the show so far.

I can't wait for the payoff.

The series is getting better each episode.

At first when the series was announced, I wasn't too hot on the idea of Penguin being the main villain draw as I never EVER saw the character as interesting. But seriously…his arc is easily the best part of the show so far.

I can't wait for the payoff.

Totally agree. I just hope they can keep topping themselves. Batman is not even in my top 5 heroes so I wasn't certain a show about his supporting cast would keep my interest. But I'm in, all in!

Considering this season is meant to be the rise of the Penguin, I'm really wondering: A. Which villain's rise will be the focus of season 2, and B. what will become of Oswald then?

In regards to A, I'm guessing it'll be Edward, just because he's there and already seems to be close to being on that path himself. And I guess Oswald will just taken on the Fish-type role in things.

I look forward to them introducing the more fantastical villains and giving them arcs as good as Penguins.

I know we're getting Harvey Dent soon but I can't wait to see how they'll handle Victor Fries (Mr. Freeze) and how they'll branch out his (tragic) story...

Best episode of the series so far. Excellent from start to end, and that Penguin-Falcone twist was superb. Hope this quality can be maintained.

Everyone has mobile phones, yet uses typewriters. I get they are going for a certain aesthetic, but something like that really takes me out of it.

The mobile phones thing has to do with Heller confirming that the story takes places in a timeless place that is a combo of different eras.

If they had warrants already printed out, then info would have to be entered on them via typewriter. Come to think of it, I can't remember if I've ever seen a computer on this show.

I mentioned during the pilot that I think the reason we see nothing but old cars, old CRT computer monitors, old TV screens, and early model cell phones is that we will eventually get a time jump in the series. That way you can easily introduce more modern technology to the audience.

Its just simply one of those things your not supposed to think too hard about. Its pretty clearly just a visual aesthetic thing like Batman TAS' had that visual 40s aesthetic eventhough that series clearly wasnt taking place in the 40s, it was in the present.

Considering this season is meant to be the rise of the Penguin, I'm really wondering: A. Which villain's rise will be the focus of season 2, and B. what will become of Oswald then?

In regards to A, I'm guessing it'll be Edward, just because he's there and already seems to be close to being on that path himself. And I guess Oswald will just taken on the Fish-type role in things.

I'd say Dent's story arc will be pretty important. Fries would also be good to see, but I really think their villainous turns should be saved for after Batman shows up. I think that the Red Hood would make a great season long villain.

This episode made me regret not actually watching the show week to week. Best one so far.

Just realized that the Captain is Sarah Essen.

Isn't she Gordon's 2nd wife in the comics that was killed by the Joker?

Yeah. She seems to be the one they've taken the most liberties with. I'm kind of expecting at some point for it to be revealed that she has a teenaged daughter also named Sarah who will essentially be the comic character when the time comes.

I would not be surprise if Sarah Essen is killed at some point and replace by Captain Maggie Sawyer

Personally, I'm waiting for Rupert Thorne to show up. After Bullock, Montoya/Allen and Leslie Thompkins, he can be the next Bat-character that this show will be the first to do in live action.

Last edited:
Thorn would be great in addition to the Falcone children from Long Halloween and Dark Victory. I actually hope that the series does stray from comic canon and utilize some of the great characters which haven't or won't likely get a live action treatment in films such as Talon, Black Mask, Mad Hatter, Scar Face, Rupert Thorn etc.

Black Mask is basically getting a prequel this week.

And I am curious how this show would handle someone like Sofia Gigante and Alberto Falcone. Their Carmine is definitely old enough to have had children.

I'm kind of the opinion that The Long Halloween could be adapted sans Batman and be just fine.

I read somewhere that season 2 is the beginning of the Court of Owls storyline .
Of course, thats more than one villain.
Still , it would be interesting.

Bit late on this.

I enjoyed the episode, but parts of it seemed off to me. The whole scene with Barbara leaving Gotham, with the hammy soap-operaish music, just seemed like self-indulgent drama that the show hasn't earned yet. I just don't care enough about Barbara's two-dimensional character to feel much of anything in that scene, and yet the way the scene was constructed it felt like it was trying to force an emotional moment, and it all just fell flat.

Victor Z was ok, though I was surprised that the entire GCPD would be so openly corrupt and spineless. Being in the pocket of the mob is one thing, but the entire building clearing out at a glorified henchman's request? Just didn't seem to make much sense. I respect Montoya and Allen a lot more after this episode, though when Gordon recommended them to Bruce as "good detectives" I scoffed. They've done nothing but get the facts wrong this entire show so far... Gordon hasn't seen them do a single decent bit of detective work.

The only parts of the episode that I thought were really fantastic were the bits with Penguin and Falcone. Especially Penguin outsmarting Maroni's thug and then the final reveal in the episode. Great stuff and it makes it clear that Penguin is a major threat. I think he has another agenda under the surface, to play all of these mob bosses against one another by "working" for all of them.

All in all, a decent episode, but nowhere near as good as the previous one (Spirit of the Goat).

An incredible episode.

Apart from a few minor issues, this show has improved remarkably. It seems the writers/producers are evaluating their work very quickly and incorporating the necessary changes week by week.

Wonderful action, well earned dramatic pay-offs and shocking twists all made for the best episode yet. I am loving the collusion between Falcone and Penguin and I'm highly curious to see where it will go from here.

In regards to Fish, I've actually fallen in love with her. JPS is improving steadily and provides the show with a welcome vampy edge. I'll miss her once Penguin makes her meet her maker.

Complaints? Well, Barbara was her usual silly self and I missed Bullock's presence quite a bit. Hopefully they give him alot more to do.

Bit late on this.

I enjoyed the episode, but parts of it seemed off to me. The whole scene with Barbara leaving Gotham, with the hammy soap-operaish music, just seemed like self-indulgent drama that the show hasn't earned yet. I just don't care enough about Barbara's two-dimensional character to feel much of anything in that scene, and yet the way the scene was constructed it felt like it was trying to force an emotional moment, and it all just fell flat.

Victor Z was ok, though I was surprised that the entire GCPD would be so openly corrupt and spineless. Being in the pocket of the mob is one thing, but the entire building clearing out at a glorified henchman's request? Just didn't seem to make much sense. I respect Montoya and Allen a lot more after this episode, though when Gordon recommended them to Bruce as "good detectives" I scoffed. They've done nothing but get the facts wrong this entire show so far... Gordon hasn't seen them do a single decent bit of detective work.

The only parts of the episode that I thought were really fantastic were the bits with Penguin and Falcone. Especially Penguin outsmarting Maroni's thug and then the final reveal in the episode. Great stuff and it makes it clear that Penguin is a major threat. I think he has another agenda under the surface, to play all of these mob bosses against one another by "working" for all of them.

All in all, a decent episode, but nowhere near as good as the previous one (Spirit of the Goat).

I think by good he meant they were honest, not lazy or corrupt like the other cops in the GCPD. He was letting Bruce know that he could trust them not to screw him over. And hey, maybe we'll see their detective skills improve over the course of the show.

I think by good he meant they were honest, not lazy or corrupt like the other cops in the GCPD. He was letting Bruce know that he could trust them not to screw him over. And hey, maybe we'll see their detective skills improve over the course of the show.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

Very good episode.

When Jim Gordon said they were "good," my impression was that he was talking about their skills as detectives. Gordon also says, "If anybody can find your parents' killers, they can." To me, this sounds like he's talking about skill, not whether or not they are corrupt.

Black Mask is basically getting a prequel this week.

And I am curious how this show would handle someone like Sofia Gigante and Alberto Falcone. Their Carmine is definitely old enough to have had children.

I'm kind of the opinion that The Long Halloween could be adapted sans Batman and be just fine.

The only downside to that is not being able to transform Harvey, which was the main focal point of The Long Halloween.But I do really want to see Alberto and co.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"