Gotham Season 2, Episode 3 "The Last Laugh"

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Sawyer, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Just_Human Registered

THis show is getting worse each week, so it's not impossible

2. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

They could do anything, but that wouldn't necessarily make it the best decision.

3. Batsfan1 Registered

There isn't much good in Barbara as a character. I don't know why people think there is. She's less of a character now than she was before.

God bless you all! God bless everyone in your lives! God bless everyone!

#103 Batsfan1, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  4. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Not a fan of Jerome being killed. He was great.

5. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    Magnetically awful and really funny. I can't say it's not a whole lot of fun.

6. Kane52630 Timmverse User

Same here.

7. Just_Human Registered

meh

JErome was too over the top

8. Kane52630 Timmverse User

Too over the top for the Joker? Is water too wet?

9. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

Subtly and nuance is what won Ledger an Oscar. It isn't the big bombastic scenes, it was those moments when you realized he was thinking, that he way playing people, that he wasn't "completely" crazy that made the portrayal. This is the same for Hamill. Jerome was "acting" like the Joker imo. He was a wannabe. A kid who watched 89 and TDK was trying to act like that. He wasn't the character. He annoyed me from the start and I never found him effective. I hope he is gone for good.

10. Astro13Zombie Registered

But you keep watching.
    :thf:

11. Astro13Zombie Registered

:funny:

12. Sithborg Dark Forces Return

It's a good way to think about it. I also see the montage as another step towards the Gotham that needs Batman. Gotham is bad now, sure. But, not quite that bad yet. I think a theme with the show going forward is that things are going to continue to get worse.

I wonder if Galavan is was talking about the Court of Owls?

13. Batsfan1 Registered

He had nice subtle moments. But he also had Hamill-ish elements to him as well.

God bless you! God bless everyone in your life!

#113 Batsfan1, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  14. BeaverJuk Registered

Jerome is dead.
    But his legacy will live on as seen by the people watching and laughing at the broadcast and somewhere a little Joker is watching and he will send down that insanity deep down until he meets a vat of chemicals which brings out that madness again.

Loving the darkness of this season.

15. Darkness Falls We Could Be Heroes.....

didn't approve of jerome being offed so early
    but the idea of joker being inspired by his actions is an interesting idea

kind of a reverse of Batman's "A hero can be anyone" from tdkr

16. ALittlePush Registered

Agreed 100% They should've kept him alive but just shipped him back to Arkham. Everybody wins.

Essentially what Gotham has now done is basically make their version of the actual Joker a copycat.

Joker prides himself on being original, the one and only. He hates anyone trying to steal his act. So for him to steal his act from Jerome in the first place, it's an insult to the character.

The show would've been better to keep Jerome alive, ship him back to Arkham, and not confirm whether or not he's the Joker. You've got the nudge nudge wink wink to the audience who do want Jerome to be the Joker but those who don't can still deny that he's the Joker.

Jerome was the Joker in all but name and clown getup. Bruce is Batman in all but name and bat getup.

17. Taarna Registered

Barbara = Fatal attraction. A man's worst nightmare. I disagree and think she's much better in the new role.

18. Taarna Registered

Only two knew the Penguin wasn't dead until he resurfaced. Just saying.

19. Acelestial Registered

Knowledgeable brahs, aware me on a couple of things:

• Is this Barbara the one who spawns Batgirl?
    • Is Jerome the jokers "unknown identity"? (because he' not really dead, is he?)

20. The Guard Registered

Hoo boy.

A lot of these complaints seem to stem from the fact that The Joker, whoever he is, will somehow be a copycat in this version of the story.

Newsflash, people. The Joker already is a copycat, to an extent. He has never been the most original character. He's a bad comedian, he reuses jokes, he makes obvious jokes, he uses the somewhat generic motif of a clown...it's not like he's the first character in literature to kill people, or to enjoy doing it...or the first villain to laugh maniacally...etc.

While Jerome laughed and smiled and seemed to enjoy what he was doing, and had a sense of showmanship, that does not, in itself, make him all the things The Joker needs to be. It's the seeds of The Joker, yes, but obviously not a fully formed character, or concept.

What makes The Joker who he is, are his actions and the specifics of them, not his most generic traits (laughing, enjoying killing).

Jerome was something of a proto-Joker to be sure. One step toward the legacy of insanity and villainy that The Joker will capitalize on eventually.

The actions of Jerome and the Maniax are going to inspire a whole new generation of psychos and sadists, as we saw at the end of the episode. In other words, GOTHAM is setting the stage for a city that NEEDS someone like Batman in the future. A city where the emergence and existence of theatrical "themed freaks" and ultimately their clown prince, isn't completely out of place.

Does that mean we'll see possible Jokers, to keep the audience guessing? Probably, but they'll be more "crazy killers" than outright wannabe Jokers, I think. I think it's a neat idea, myself.

21. Gallops Registered

I think if Jerome is truly dead, than it was a wasted opportunity. He played the part so well, and had the characteristics of the true Joker aside from the clown getup and the name.

There is what I think COULD happen, and what I think WILL happen.

They COULD make it that Jerome never really died. That somehow, some way, by some medical miracle, he survived getting stabbed in the neck and will live. If that is indeed the case, we should only see home ONCE more in the near future, and that is when they kill off Theo. Have Jerome be the one who does it. But have him disguised and claim that one day he'll be back and give Gotham the criminal it deserves, ala Ledger in TDK.

What they WILL do, is keep Jerome dead. Have either Barbara, Gordon or Tabitha kill him. Gordon to protect Gotham, Barbara because she wants to take his place, or Tabitha out of jealousy. They'll have Joker be some sort of copycat which won't be as good. Then again, we may never get an actual Joker in this series because we don't know if we'll have a lengthy term of Batman in this series, which without Batman, having Joker is pointless.

22. Slade W "Who Is Slade?"

It was an ok episode IMO. The first episode was the best so far for me. It is a pity Jerome was killed off. He was entertaining IMO.

23. Victarion Iron Captain

So what if Jerome is dead? He can always get washed in the Lazarus Pit.

24. SuperBatman Registered

Thing is U can't have the Joker really Develop quicker than Bruce Wayne there is no Joker without Batman and Visa Versa. Its a shame Jerome is dead he could've been a nice Villain to the end of Season 2 but it looks like Gotham has other plans.

25. Silly Cat Registered

If they didn't include that whole montage of crazy people being 'inspired' by Jerome then maybe I'd hold out hope that he might not really be dead.

But now it would sort of undercut the message if they brought him back...they obviously wanted Jerome to be a foreshadowing of things to come, Gotham's first real taste of 'chaos' that will later explode when the Joker emerges. So I don't think they are going to be bringing Jerome back anytime soon.

And having a precursor to the Joker in Jerome doesn't make the Joker a copycat. Jerome just came up with an 'idea', the Joker is the one who is going to bring that idea to fruition. So in this version instead of a copycat, think of Joker as the successor, who inherits the legacy of chaos started by Jerome... and makes it more then Jerome or anybody else ever could have done.