Gotham Gotham Season 2 ratings thread

Nah, it just sucks.
I would argue that the two most recent episodes of Supergirl were good. Better than any episodes of Gotham I have seen, by far (I have probably only seen about half of Gotham, to be fair).

I would argue that the two most recent episodes of Supergirl were good. Better than any episodes of Gotham I have seen, by far (I have probably only seen about half of Gotham, to be fair).
Wow.

No, honestly, none of the Supergirl episodes aired thus far can even hold a candle to last Gotham outing. Like, it's not even close. It's like Shakespeare versus Nickelodeon.

I haven't seen Supergirl, but it's not hard to imagine it being better than Gotham.

I definitely prefer Gotham. This season has been a big improvement.

One can imagine Supergirl to be better than Gotham but it's not, I watch both.

If Gotham is better, emphasis on the if, then Supergirl must be a really weak show since I don't rate Gotham much at all.

Last edited:
If Gotham is better, emphasis on the if, then Supergirl must be a really weak show.
Post in another thread (this is the ratings thread) with your grievances and I'll be more than happy to discuss your issues.

Post in another thread (this is the ratings thread) with your grievances and I'll be more than happy to discuss your issues.

Thanks for the offer, but what gives you the impression I want to discuss my issues with the show with you? Or do you think maybe you have the ability to change my mind with some compelling arguments?

Also unless famicommander has a problem with us talking about this here as this is his thread, and he raised the topic of Supergirl being better, I don't see why people can't keep talking right here.

Last edited:
You'll never see me trying to censor others for any reason.

My biggest problems with Gotham are the acting, the extreme lack of subtlety with respect to anything tied to the Batman mythos, the over abundance of characters with not enough to do, etc.

The only things I think Gotham does well are the beautiful set design and the prop/costume design. It's a very striking show from a visual perspective.

I just hate every character and actor aside from Donal Logue/Bullock.

Back to the topic of ratings...

what would you guys think about a Gotham/Lucifer crossover? It's just speculation by me, but TV crossovers and shared universes seem to be all the rage right now. Fox has recently done Bones/Sleepy Hollow and Simpsons/Family Guy. Then you have the Arrowverse on CW and all those Chicago shows on NBC.

Fox and Gotham both have Monday timeslots on Fox, they're both produced by Warner Bros TV, both owned by DC Comics/Warner Bros, they're both loose adaptations of the comics, they're both twists on the police drama genre. They definitely seem more compatible than Bones and Sleepy Hollow, anyway.

We'll have to see how Lucifer does, of course. If it bombs it won't do Gotham any good in the ratings. But if it does okay, even if not as well as Gotham, it could be worth it to do a one night, two hour mash up.

Thanks for the offer, but what gives you the impression I want to discuss my issues with the show with you? Or do you think maybe you have the ability to change my mind with some compelling arguments?

Also unless famicommander has a problem with us talking about this here as this is his thread, and he raised the topic of Supergirl being better, I don't see why people can't keep talking right here.
I was merely being polite enough not to want to derail a ratings thread too much with this type of discussion - a couple posts is no biggie, but a real discourse would take up more. However, if fami is fine with it, why not, let's go.

If you're not here to talk, then I guess you're only here to take snipes at the show while not being able or willing to defend your arguments. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to hear what's wrong with it.

That's cool. Let's hope the moderators agree with you. I have no idea how things work around here.
My biggest problems with Gotham are the acting, the extreme lack of subtlety with respect to anything tied to the Batman mythos, the over abundance of characters with not enough to do, etc.
The acting. You have to be kidding me. Cory Michael Smith is a bad actor? Robin Lord Taylor is a bad actor? Either of those make Melissa Benoist look like a rank amateur. Not to mention Camren nailed the Selina role by the second episode at age 15.

The "extreme lack of subtlety"? What are you referring to? If you're complaining about the heavy-handed wink-wink-nudge-nudge when it comes to villain introduction during the first season I sort of understand, but that's a childhood sickness the show has largely outgrown.

The "over-abundance of characters with not enough to do"? A show is suddenly not allowed to have a supporting cast? In my opinion, the characters have more or less exactly the correct screen time as related to their importance for the storyline. What are you talking about?

If I were to point out one obvious weak point of this show it would be Jim Gordon because the character has virtually no personality, but he's probably supposed to serve as the lens of the audience. Harvey Bullock? It must be a personal preference for men with beards. He seems nice enough as a person but he has absolutely no acting range.

I was merely being polite enough not to want to derail a ratings thread too much with this type of discussion - a couple posts is no biggie, but a real discourse would take up more.

You already contributed to the "derailing" by putting in your two cents on the Gotham/Supergirl comparison. I did, too. All of a sudden you want to take me off to another thread to talk about the show's flaws because of that?

That's a 2+2=5 situation.

However, if fami is fine with it, why not, let's go.

If you're not here to talk, then I guess you're only here to take snipes at the show while not being able or willing to defend your arguments. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to hear what's wrong with it.

fami summed it up nicely here;

The only things I think Gotham does well are the beautiful set design and the prop/costume design. It's a very striking show from a visual perspective.

I just hate every character and actor aside from Donal Logue/Bullock.

Except with one difference; I like The Penguin, and think he's the best character in the show. Bullock is ok. The rest of the cast range from bland to awful.

In that case my reply to him goes for you as well. As for me having the ability to "change your mind", nobody can change anyone's mind if he simply doesn't want it changed.

I fail to realize why, after a throwaway line about the show's merits versus another show, me suggesting we might find a better thread for that after five off-topic posts equals a 2+2=5 argument. I'm aware I played a part in derailing the thread.

In that case my reply to him goes for you as well.

You didn't say anything worth replying to. You basically said the opposite of what Fami said; you think the Gotham actors are better, you don't think the show lacks subtlety, you think the characters have enough screen time and story, and you think Donal Logue has no acting range.

What exactly do you want someone to say to that, repeat again that they don't agree?

As for me having the ability to "change your mind", nobody can change anyone's mind if he simply doesn't want it changed.

It's not a case of not wanting to, it's being unable to.

I fail to realize why, after a throwaway line about the show's merits versus another show, me suggesting we might find a better thread for that after five off-topic posts equals a 2+2=5 argument. I'm aware I played a part in derailing the thread.

Because you equated a comment, one of several, about the Gotham/Supergirl comparison as some kind of invitation for you to need to go and address MY issues with the show as though that was something that needed doing because of one comment I made, when others made comments, too, on the topic.

I wasn't comparing Gotham directly to Supergirl in all aspects, to be clear. Supergirl has a lot of issues as well, but I think it has more working in its favor than Gotham.

I'll always maintain that this show has an identity crisis. It would be much stronger without young Bruce and all the Batman villain/supporting character origins. If they wanted a Batman show they should have made a Batman show; if they wanted a Bullock and Gordon show they should have made that and done it all the way.

I can appreciate Robin Lord Taylor as an actor but I don't like the character he plays. And I stand by what I said about all the rest of the actors on the show.

famicommander said:
I'll always maintain that this show has an identity crisis. It would be much stronger without young Bruce and all the Batman villain/supporting character origins. If they wanted a Batman show they should have made a Batman show; if they wanted a Bullock and Gordon show they should have made that and done it all the way.

Even as a fan of the show, I agree on this point.

I don't want to get too into the quality comparisons between Supergirl and Gotham, since this is the ratings thread, but from a ratings perspective I definitely think Gotham is on firmer footing at this point in time. The ratings appear to have stabilized at around 1.5 give or take a tenth a point, whereas Supergirl is still dropping. Plus Gotham is on the weaker network and is well ahead of several other competing shows on Fox. Gotham seems very likely to get renewed for next season, whereas I would consider Supergirl a true tossup at this point.

Last edited:
I don't want to get too into the quality comparisons between Supergirl and Gotham, since this is the ratings thread, but from a ratings perspective I definitely think Gotham is on firmer footing at this point in time. The ratings appear to have stabilized at around 1.5 give or take a tenth a point, whereas Supergirl is still dropping. Plus Gotham is on the weaker network and is well ahead of several other competing shows on Fox. Gotham seems very likely to get renewed for next season, whereas I would consider Supergirl a true tossup at this point.

TV By the Numbers disagrees with you. Even with Supergirl hitting a low this week, it's still listed as a sure bet to be renewed by May, and the same goes for Gotham.

Even as a fan of the show, I agree on this point.

Eh, there are quite a few shows that have averages less than what Supergirl did last week. Nothing is ever certain, but it is a bit early to write it off.

At its current ratings, Supergirl will survive. The problem is they are still dropping. It could stabilize where it is or it might not. We have no way of knowing yet. We should know more within a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
This season has been a big improvement over last season, in my opinion. They dropped the cheesy 'villian of the week' formula from last season and have been focusing more on story development, rather then trying to entice us with the 'who are we going to meet next week?!' stuff etc.

The show feels like its finally found its direction rather then being all over the place like it was last season.

TV By the Numbers disagrees with you. Even with Supergirl hitting a low this week, it's still listed as a sure bet to be renewed by May, and the same goes for Gotham.

Because TVBTN doesn't extrapolate in those predictions. They just look at a show's current average versus the network's average and then take into account stuff like timeslot, episode count, etc.

Supergirl's ratings week to week
2.19 (-31%)
1.71 (-22%)
1.80 (+5%)
1.52 (-16%)

Average: 2.07

If Supergirl levels off at its current average, obviously CBS would be turning cartwheels and it'd get renewed without a second thought.

But that's not likely. It will probably never see that 2.19 again.

And that's okay too. If it stays in the 1.4-1.9 range it's a safe bet.

But the fact that it has lost huge chunks of demographic viewers in every week but one suggests we haven't found the floor yet.

That's why people are concerned about Supergirl. If it loses just 10% the next two consecutive episodes it's already down into the 1.2s, and that's not going to cut it at CBS.

Basically, it has to level off where it is now or slightly below for most of the rest of the season. Nobody can say whether that will happen but right now it's scary.

Gotham tied supergirl in 18 to 48 year old demo.both got 1.6 last night.

In the unrounded prelims Supergirl still won, but not by much
Supergirl: 1.623 (half hours: 1.620, 1.623)
Gotham: 1.572 (half hours: 1.616, 1.527)

That indicates a small chance of Gotham adjusting down and a smaller chance of Supergirl adjusting up.

Demo breakdown:
................... W18-34 ... M18-34 ... W18-49 ... M18-49
Supergirl ........ 1.0 .......... 0.8 ........... 1.6 ......... 1.6 ...
Gotham .......... 0.9 .......... 1.3 ........... 1.4 ......... 1.8 ...

................. W25-54 .. M25-54 .. F12-17 .. M12-17 ... 2+
Supergirl ..... 2.3 .......... 2.3 ........ 0.7 ........ 0.7 ...... 8.03m
Gotham ....... 1.5 .......... 2.1 ........ 0.7 ........ 1.7 ...... 4.51m

Gotham is slaying Supergirl in males 12-17 and 18-34. Supergirl is eating up the older audience, which isn't surprising considering CBS's other shows.

It will be interesting to see if males watch Supergirl next week with no new episode of Gotham.

Is it only one the West Coast where Supergirl comes on at 7PM and Gotham comes on at 8PM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"