Gotham Season 3 Episode 6 - "Follow the White Rabbit"

Discussion in 'Gotham' started by Ozbridge, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Ozbridge Registered

MAD HATTER GETS MADDER ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, OCTOBER 24, ON FOX

Mad Hatter sets his eyes on his next victims, forcing Jim Gordon to make some tough decisions. Meanwhile, Penguin and Nygma's relationship evolves, and a familiar face comes back into Nygma's life in the all-new "Mad City: Follow the White Rabbit" episode of GOTHAM airing Monday, Oct. 24 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Morena Baccarin as Leslie Thompkins, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the future Riddler, Jessica Lucas as Tabitha Galavan, Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean, Maggie Geha as the future Poison Ivy, Michael Chiklis as Detective Nathaniel Barnes, Benedict Samuel as Mad Hatter

Guest Cast: James Carpinello as Mario, Jamie Chung as Valerie Vale, Chelsea Spack as Isabella, Kieran Mulcare as White Rabbit

2. Ozbridge Registered

3. Kathemy It could happen to you

Looking forward to this despite the tired double-damsel plot.

4. JackRackum Registered

Also, no Bruce and no Selina? This isn't going to be my favorite episode, but the nymgobblepot shippers are creaming their pants at least. I wonder if it's a good idea to cater to that Tumblr crowd.

Just yesterday I read someone talking about Alice(both) being fridged and Isabella being used for love-triangle fodder. It's a pity Gotham can't escape the whining of overly-sensitive 1st worlders. Either it's the people obsessing over canon, or it's the people obsessing over perfect representation of a so-called underprivileged class.

#4 JackRackum, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. NotNickFury Registered

So this Penguin is gay indeed? I mean, Robin Lord Taylor himself is gay, so I suppose it's at least consistent, but still...huh.

6. JackRackum Registered

No biggie. This episode was good.

7. Kathemy It could happen to you

I actually thought the most significant line of the episode was "you two are made for each other", from Lee to Val. Because, it's kinda true.

I mean we already knew Ozzie was gay/bi, some were just in denial.

The pacing was good, it didn't go crazy with eight different storylines, and it actually featured a pretty significant choice by Jim. Echo won't last, tho I doubt she'll die. We'll see, tho.

8. herolee10 No More Miracles

So, just to tally things up here...

1. Penguin is gay and in love with the Riddler
    2. Poison Ivy is a 15 year old teenager trapped in her 27 year old body
    3. Commissioner Gordon has slept with both Leslie Tompkins and Vicki Vale's Aunt
    4. The Joker will likely be someone that was inspired by Jerome's antics

and I'm sure there's another stash of things to add to that list.

9. Sawyer High King

Penguin has shown virtually zero interest in women over the past three seasons and has been clearly infatuated with Gordon since he spared his life back in S1, so this tracks.

10. herolee10 No More Miracles

Tis true, especially when his step-sister tried to seduce him back at his father's house. Course, this is still very new since I'm so used to the Penguin from previous interpretations who (for the most part) has never shown any physical interest in any gender..let alone in a fellow villain like the Riddler.

But then again, "Gotham" is its own thing.

11. Kathemy It could happen to you

12. Asharad Registered

Great episode!

13. Cobblepot Giant-Size Man-Thing

No! They did not make Penguin gay...
    This whole series has been a huge pile of horse manure on Batman's characters with one of the main villains being a fishy one created a new. And please give Gordon a mustache and a raincoat.

14. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

The whole episode was I was wondering why they showed Ms. Kringle during the opening recap.

15. Cobblepot Giant-Size Man-Thing

He bumped into a blond version of her in the liquor store. They even exchanged 'romantic' words.

16. Ozbridge Registered

To remind viewers that Nygma used to be infatuated with her. I'm surprised that they didn't show him killing her though (to sort of give a summary), though maybe they don't find it necessary.

17. Mindreaper21 It's Harvest Time

I don't mind Penguin being gay at all. I think its a great idea actually. I'm just glad Riddler isn't. If anything, Riddler is using him to gain power. I've always kind of believed the Penguin was a gay character anyway.

18. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I know.

I'm just saying she was the only thing that stuck out in that recap. So, I was waiting to see how they would bring her or something to do with her back into the show. But, it was just some other lady the same actress is playing.

19. Ozbridge Registered

I really like Cory Michael Smith's acting in this episode. His expression in the scene with Penguin (the early morning scene) and with Isabella is very nuanced.

@Kathemy:
    Why do you think Mario is Talon? Anything about casting in future episodes?

20. herolee10 No More Miracles

So in regards to Jim telling the Mad Hatter last night to kill Lee instead of Valerie, I'm assuming it was actually supposed to mean that Gordon chose to actually save Lee over Valerie...knowing that the guy would shoot the woman that he chose to save instead?

21. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

To me it seems rather obvious that Ed is just using Penguin to further his own agenda.

And no, Penguin being gay doesn't bother me either.

22. Kathemy It could happen to you

Well:
    There is no casting information for the adult Talon role anywhere and he looks similar. Furthermore up until a while ago tvmaze.com showed James Carpinello cast as Mario Calvi with a picture of Talon with the mask. This has since been changed to a generic actor picture and I wonder if they were correcting it or if they realized they'd accidentally leaked a huge spoiler.

23. Ozbridge Registered

You mean the Talon who kidnapped Bruce? He's portrayed by Brandon Alan Smith.

24. Kathemy It could happen to you

Alright, then I'm talking out of my ass. He's not credited on imdb but his twitter confirms it.

#24 Kathemy, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  25. Coffee Registered

I think Ed has a different agenda as well, (but there seemed to be some fore shadowing when penguin told that kid if they reject you, push them down the stairs.....that could happen mirror what could happen with nygma at some point)

In terms of penguin, I think it's hard to tell at this point what his "actual" preference is.

It seems like penguin just fell in love with the one person who actually has shown him attention & affection. I think if that person was a female, he probably would've done the same thing.

There wasn't any signs that he "interested" in Ed before, it was only after all the times of Ed being nice to him.

The character hasn't really shown an affinity for either gender during the course of the show, so I think that's what makes this turn of events interesting.

I don't think the character wasn't written as "gay", he just ended up falling for someone who was close to him.