Great Article on how X1 got made

Discussion in 'X-Men 1, 2 & 3' started by Avenging Angel, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Avenging Angel

Avenging Angel I'm Fire! Life incarnate!

Interesting to know the origins of X1. I knew about the Whedon stuff but Cameron and Bigelow being involved I did not.

2. Herofan

Herofan Well-Known Member

I read the Andrew Kevin Walker script and it would have been insanely expensive to film. If Whedon's script had been like early Buffy the film probably would have ended up being pretty niche; I love that the actual film was very accessible to viewers, as I was at the time, who didn't know a lot about the comics. I also read a Solomon/Singer draft that wasted Pyro (it was much better that he was instead saved for later and some of his moments and lines given to Toad) and, even when Wolverine wasn't the big star Cyclops was still unimpressive.

I don't think Dougray Scott has a lot of charisma or likeability, he could have played Wolverine's dark past/brooding elements but still made only a so-so star.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  3. Edwin Larson

Edwin Larson Member

I’m a big fan of the X-Men series. Honestly after watching the last release, I wanted to see the previous ones again and was able to acquire them using this site: http://www.digitalgp.co.uk/ , proposing interesting payment solutions. The first X-Men was outstanding. I think there wasn't any series at that time which had such success as the X-Men. Today I’m still reading cool reviews about the first release on this site: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/jun/02/x-men-first-class-review . Earlier like i mentioned, I’ve started watching the whole series from the start and have been able to stream them using these two sites: justwatch.com/uk and xfinity.com/browse-movies . Both are cool because you can find plenty of stuffs there.

4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Well-Known Member

Really cool article. I had no idea they were talking to Ratner about directing the original, in those days between Cameron and Singer.

Stamp for Magneto is interesting too. McKellen was the right call, but sure Terrence would have been cool too.

5. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

It would have been interesting to see but yes i agree.

Ditto.

6. Herofan

Herofan Well-Known Member

If Ratner had made the first film, I think if a lot of young directors aside from Singer had made the film, it would have tried to be a lot more like the animated series (probably clumsily, in part from the budget limitations).