Greatest casting news EVAR! God Of War lives in...

lol! of course! how did we not think of that?

As long as they do it right and don't mess up the storyline with horrible dialogue, horrible visuals, and watered down violence I'll definitely check it out for sure.

I was playing God of War 2 last night and from the looks of it Kratos looked black to during the flashbacks of his origin.

Awesome, awesome, awesome news. :up: Always figured it would end up being a black guy playing him for some reason and if not they'd probably be pulling a Hitman(not a fan of that casting choice, even after the trailer). Kratos and his brother were slave children. They could have come from anywhere in the world. I can buy a black Kratos.

Okay, I wasn't going to post in this thread, as I haven't really played much of the games, and I really don't care about video game movies. But this was a magnificent show of not knowing what you're talking about.

Here's some 411 on Sparta. It was a city-state in what is now Greece. Pre-Alexander, the Greek city states were not united. They didn't call themselves Greek. And Sparta refused to acknowledge Athenian government as sovereign rule.

Yeah, they did. Greek was an ethnicity and culture, a sign of civilization. Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes, Megara, Argos, all were parts of the Greek world. They used to even formally define it, as you had to be Greek to participate in the Olympic games. And they wouldn't accept Athens as their rulers, why would they? It's a different government among dozens. That's like saying Renaissance Venetians weren't Italian because they wouldn't accent Rome's rule.

In fact, if you really want to push it, Spartans were Doric people, which are closer ethnically which is the main ethnic group that evolved as an ethnicity to modern Greeks.

So um technically the Spartans weren't Greek. They were Spartan. And yes, they were known to take in outsiders if they proved their loyalty to Sparta. Who knows, maybe that could be part of Djimon-Kratos's past.

Spartans were notoriously elitist *****ebags. "Outsiders" means Corinthians or something, maybe a Phoenician, if somehow a sub-Saharan African made his way to Sparta he's not going to be embraced and made a general and member of the aristocracy.

If you want to make stuff about about Kratos actually being Black than whatever, but don't pretend that stuff is actually factual.

Okay, I wasn't going to post in this thread, as I haven't really played much of the games, and I really don't care about video game movies. But this was a magnificent show of not knowing what you're talking about.

Yeah, they did. Greek was an ethnicity and culture, a sign of civilization. Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes, Megara, Argos, all were parts of the Greek world. They used to even formally define it, as you had to be Greek to participate in the Olympic games. And they wouldn't accept Athens as their rulers, why would they? It's a different government among dozens. That's like saying Renaissance Venetians weren't Italian because they wouldn't accent Rome's rule.

Yes Greece was all those things, but it wasn't a country in itself. It was full of city-states that governed themselves. I was going to say that it took a Macedonian to unite them.

Besides, there's no time frame for GoW. Who's to say that they can't find some way of saying that Kratos coming from East of Greece or Sub-Sarahan Africa and staying in Sparta isn't part of his storyline. It could have happened with merchant trading, slave trading there are plenty of reasons. It was well known for people from the Upper Nile to go all the way to Greece.

That last line of yours happens all the time. History is full of examples of civil strife like that.

As I said before, historical time frame, no one can really assume anything.

Yes Greece was all those things, but it wasn't a country in itself. It was full of city-states that governed themselves. I was going to say that it took a Macedonian to unite them.

Besides, there's no time frame for GoW. Who's to say that they can't find some way of saying that Kratos coming from East of Greece or Sub-Sarahan Africa and staying in Sparta isn't part of his storyline. It could have happened with merchant trading, slave trading there are plenty of reasons. It was well known for people from the Upper Nile to go all the way to Greece.

That last line of yours happens all the time. History is full of examples of civil strife like that.

As I said before, historical time frame, no one can really assume anything.

I don't think you got what I was talking about with the analogy. What is now Italy was split into many different countries. None were more or less Italian than any other. Just because Rome is the capital now doesn't mean it is the true Italian area. They were all still Italian people in both culture and ethnicity.

Similarly, just because Athens is the capital now doesn't mean it is the one that's Greek, and other ones aren't. You claimed they weren't Greek because they didn't follow Athens, which makes absolutely no sense.

And seriously, Sparta was very elitist and racist. Being a general in the Spartan Army was a very prestigious position, they just wouldn't let a foreigner be one.

I honestly think their best bet would be to pretend he's Greek. He's already wearing makeup anyway, I don't see why they can't just fudge it to make his features look more Mediterranean, and he's bald anyway so his hair is not a problem. Just suspending disbelief to think he's Greek seems much easier to me than trying to work a black guy into the Spartan army.

He was saying that that's what would happen to a black guy in Sparta.

It was explained that Kratos was a slave as a child though so who knows where they picked him up from. That covers it fine.

I can see him playing Black paanther, but the dude from God of War?

hey, I know some of you itch to trap people into pointless racist bickering, but the guy was frigging greek. Why mention one of the few renowned African actors to play a video game character? It's stupid. It's like casting Chow Yun Fat to play Abe Lincoln. Nothing against their acting ability, but damn Hollywood makes bad bad choices...

John Wayne as Ghengis Khan?
JohnWayneGhengisKhan.jpg

...Chow Yun Fat + Abe Lincoln = Awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"