Green Arrow OYL (discussion thread)

this was a great issue and hilarious. the issue doent seem far fetched to me. it completely explained hopw green arrow got so good the missing year.

gives a whole new definition to prep-time

I cheered the fight from the first "Boom". I just Knew Ollie wasn't going out like that.

The Fight is exactly like a non-meta should handle Deathstroke,.... except the part where he pulls a sword and jumps into the hole with him.
I can't complain at all,.. for Ollie that was some extreme dicipline to fight scientific-like and take a few pages from BatMan.

You could tell he was Pissed,... but this wasn't Noisy Green Arrow Pissed,... this was Quiet "I'm gonna make this hurt for the hurt you've caused" Green Arrow,... Someone I've not really read since Canary was done in the longbow hunters.

Geeked Out,.. DC has dragged Green Arrow back into the relm of legit Good Guy.

Yeah i have to admit it. Ollie held it down. I'm not GA fan but, after this showing i am impressed. If only Nightwing got this kind of treatment.

kiuju2k said:
Yeah i have to admit it. Ollie held it down. I'm not GA fan but, after this showing i am impressed. If only Nightwing got this kind of treatment.

He did, in issues 1-117.

He did, in issues 1-117.

hahaha... not lately. I'd say jason is the better nightwing honestly. I think i'm gonna actually stop picking up nightwing. Just breaks my heart. I think GA will be a good replacement.

I'm still picking up nightwing, though for no other reason than to say "yeah, I own every one of the nightwing ongoings"

SouLeSS said:
I'm still picking up nightwing, though for no other reason than to say "yeah, I own every one of the nightwing ongoings"
*almost goes on a long rant about how people shouldn't give money to comic books they don't like reading anymore*

i'm still picking up Nightwing because apart from Bruce, Dick is my fav character, and the charcter i've known the longest.
it's such ashame that the last couple archs for Nightwing have been pretty ****, hopefully they pick their act up alittle and start making the charcter interesting again and not a god damned male model :(

Manic said:
*almost goes on a long rant about how people shouldn't give money to comic books they don't like reading anymore*
Glad you didn't, as it would just be a waste of your time. But seriously though, It'll get better in a few arcs, and I'll start to enjoy it again. Why not buy all the issues that have to do with the backstory?

SouLeSS said:
Why not buy all the issues that have to do with the backstory?
Because they suck?

It's also kind of a gamble to assume it'll get better. People assumed Spider-Man would get better throughout the Clone Saga and ended up buying several years' worth of crap issues.

I think the art on this book doesnt fit. Something about it. I dont really dig it.

McDaniel? If Ollie's all super-badass ninja now, I think he fits quite well.

TheCorpulent1 said:
McDaniel? If Ollie's all super-badass ninja now, I think he fits quite well.

Thats the thing, should he be super-badass ninja?

I don't think so, but last issue showed that he is now. Carrying a katana around in his quiver is, to me, the very essence of lameness distilled into its purest form but, alas, it's canon now.

It caught this non GA reading person's attention.

I thought the katana was flat-out awesome. I read a bit of Grell's ultraviolent rendition of GA and I hated it so it's not like I'm that into stabby mcninja XXXXXtreme badass fun, but I just like this new GA...efficient, smart, skilled as bad place, but without losing any of his old personality and characterization; that last page of him screeching "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!" in Slade's face was classic Ollie through and through.

For the last year of the comics (real world time) he's just been getting his ash kicked over and over and over and over again. By Drakon, by Dr. Light, by Deathstroke, by Merlyn...by the frikkin' Riddler of all things:O. It was just played out. It wasn't fun reading GA anymore. It was way past time for him to get his sht together.

(And technically, the blade isn't long enough to be a katana; I'd say it's about wakizashi length:p)

Darthphere said:
I think the art on this book doesnt fit. Something about it. I dont really dig it.

yeah i agree the art is off abit, i think it might be a little too kiddyish?:(

Yeah, I was tired of Ollie being used as Identity Crisis fodder.

DC Big Wig: "Dr. Light is super-evil, again. How should we display it?"
DC Bossy Boss: "Hm... how about he takes on every Teen Titan EVER?!"
Big Wig: "That doesn't seem like enough."
Bossy Boss: "You're right. How about he beats the living snot out of Green Arrow?"
Big Wig: "Perfect! While we're at it, how about super-evil Riddler takes a crack out of ol' Ollie, too?"

And the rest, as they say, is history.

BrianWilly said:
I thought the katana was flat-out awesome. I read a bit of Grell's ultraviolent rendition of GA and I hated it so it's not like I'm that into stabby mcninja XXXXXtreme badass fun, but I just like this new GA...efficient, smart, skilled as bad place, but without losing any of his old personality and characterization; that last page of him screeching "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!" in Slade's face was classic Ollie through and through.

For the last year of the comics (real world time) he's just been getting his ash kicked over and over and over and over again. By Drakon, by Dr. Light, by Deathstroke, by Merlyn...by the frikkin' Riddler of all things:O. It was just played out. It wasn't fun reading GA anymore. It was way past time for him to get his sht together.
He beat all of those people in the end, though. I liked that underdog aspect about him. He never even came close to getting his ash kicked by Merlyn, either. Dr. Light was the only one who kicked Ollie's ash in that arc, and I think that should be expected. I would've much rather Ollie call in his son, who's among the top martial artists in the world, to beat the crap out of Slade. He could've easily done it with the help of all of Ollie's traps. It would've worked just as well for the story and it wouldn't have changed Ollie into some wannabe ninja with the wrong color scheme.

I don't mind the prep time thing--that's just Ollie being smart, since he knew Deathstroke would come after him and he had time and (as the mayor) new resources to plan for that. But the whole sword-in-the-quiver gimmick and his becoming this awe-inspiring martial artist in a year was just lame and unnecessary. Ollie got the job done just fine before with some good, old-fashioned fisticuffs and archery. No need to throw Eastern arts that I have trouble believing Ollie would ever sit down and have the discipline to learn into the mix.

Boy corp,... In the last few threads I've read you in you've been borderline hostile in ref to the direction a few comics have gone.

You almost read as bad as I've gotten.

Props.

TheCorpulent1 said:
He beat all of those people in the end, though. I liked that underdog aspect about him. He never even came close to getting his ash kicked by Merlyn, either. Dr. Light was the only one who kicked Ollie's ash in that arc, and I think that should be expected. I would've much rather Ollie call in his son, who's among the top martial artists in the world, to beat the crap out of Slade. He could've easily done it with the help of all of Ollie's traps. It would've worked just as well for the story and it wouldn't have changed Ollie into some wannabe ninja with the wrong color scheme.

I don't mind the prep time thing--that's just Ollie being smart, since he knew Deathstroke would come after him and he had time and (as the mayor) new resources to plan for that. But the whole sword-in-the-quiver gimmick and his becoming this awe-inspiring martial artist in a year was just lame and unnecessary. Ollie got the job done just fine before with some good, old-fashioned fisticuffs and archery. No need to throw Eastern arts that I have trouble believing Ollie would ever sit down and have the discipline to learn into the mix.

ollie shouldn't have to rely on connor to win his battles, i think that's why he decided to re-train himself. speaking of connor, i wonder what happened to him? anyway, as far as the sword, maybe he just had it in his quiver this one time because he knew he'd be taking on slade in close combat and needed to be able to match his blade. that's what i'm hoping, anyway. why do think ollie is undisciplined? he's obviously smart, heroic and focused, why wouldn't he be able to learn new artforms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"