Green Arrow

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by IamtheBatman, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

So this is focusing on the earlier part of his career...so where does this put Speedy 2.0 aka Mia?

2. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

Limbo.

Possibly never existed.

3. Drz

Drz Real Hero

[​IMG]
    “People are goin’ nuts. Wait ‘til they watch us kill him.”
    – Rush in GREEN ARROW #1

4. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

Not bad. These small glimpses are renewing my faith in the reboot little by little.

5. Drz

Drz Real Hero

6. PaleRider

PaleRider Well-Known Member

This was very disappointing, I was excited for this and it didn't do anything for me. I might give issue 2 a chance but I don't have a lot of hope.

7. WompuM

WompuM Esquire

Q-Core is a neat idea, but not enough to make me read an entire series that re-explains Green Arrow.

8. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

yeah this issue was weak. the characters did nothing for me, and i dont like this gadget/tech-heavy green arrow. i love green arrow, but i dont feel this is the green arrow i fell in love with. probably gonna drop this book. which is a bummer.

9. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

I liked the high tech stuff....but yeah, the supporting characters and GA himself fell flat. It wasn't offensively bad...but I won't be buying it again.

10. TruerToTheCore

TruerToTheCore Well-Known Member

It could be worse. Joey Cavalieri could be writing it.

11. Drz

Drz Real Hero

Green Arrow:
    I'm having a hard time to think about this one, because it begins with a nice introduction to Oliver Queen, but at the same time it really for me kinda turns shift to the villains? I mean, it still has good focus panel on GA's allies and GA himself kicking ass, but it really seemed more about this "real television super villains killing heroes! The new jersey shore!" for some reason, but i did enjoy it's art and i didn't find any faults on Oliver, it just didn't grasp me.

12. chris moore

chris moore Well-Known Member

Its a real shame, all that's been said. Because it's pretty much unanimous. I don't think I like it either. I'm fine with tech arrows, I'm fine with de-aging, globetrotting, the idea of Q-Core. But I didn't like this "version" of Ollie. I don't like that right off the bat about seven people know his name. I hate hate hate hate hate that "team" of his. Christ do they piss me off already.
    Like some others have said, I might give issue 2 a try; see if with this one they just tried too hard to cram in too much to try (and fail) to get across what kind of Ollie this new one is. But it's pretty damn sad I could well be dropping my only DC title in a month's time.

In conclusion there: They could not have dropped the ball more with this reinvention

13. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

I'll give it a few more issues. Right now, I'm on the fence about it.

I don't mind Oliver being younger and having technology and the resources on hand, but there's just something about the overall execution of the story, that seems off.

14. chris moore

Also, and yes I suppose there should be a degree of realism, every shot Ollie seemed to make was from standing stock still. Not a single somersault shot, or even a diving one.

And I don't mind a telescopic bow, but when exactly does the string come into play? Think about how it could possibly scope out from the riser and then tell me how the string, which is attached at both ends (and is even a compound style double string) appears from nowhere? Now a collapsible bow on his back (like the Heroic age Hawkeye designs) would do the job just as well, be just as out of the way before he needs it, and would actually be quicker on the draw.

I dunno, just seems his band of merry men is more his band of whingy whingerson and spitefire mcbasement dweller than a team to keep him alive and one step ahead of the bad guys.

15. Minus Shock

Minus Shock Captain Simple Jack

Green Arrow has been my favorite hero since Kevin Smith wrote him. I have to admit after being rebooted after rebooted, this is really becoming tired. I actually really liked JT Krul's work on the last Volume, the one in the forest, I thought it was a good story about coming to terms with your inner... and outer demons.

When I heard about the new 52 I was concerned about all but Green Arrow. I figured JT was writing it, so no worries. Boy I didn't see it coming.

I will admit that after, in my opinion, stellar books like JLA, Action and Detective Comics the bar was set inconceivably high, but still the idea was planted that this take on Ollie would be very James Bond-ish so I was like "That is sweet! Perfect direction to take the Emerald Archer. Unfortunately this book pales in the light of the other titles right now.

Frustratingly enough, it wasn't AWFUL, it was merely mediocre but in comparison to smashes it looks a little worse. I will go out there and say, I like the idea that Ollie's identity is secret again, I like that he is using technology to his advantage, for a powerless hero in this day and age to refuse to would be ultimately silly in itself. I like the idea more of Green Arrow having an Oracle of his own, though I have to say it doesn't look good when the original girl behind the computer screen is flying around in a Batsuit, it actually makes me wonder if that part of Green Arrow would have happened at all if Barbara didn't dawn the cowl again. It's incredibly unoriginal though but ultimately, realistic. I honestly think it would have gone over better if it was a male, not female. Oddly enough there is a useless male who knows Ollies Identity along with Oracle 2 and he really contributes nothing to the story. The villains were throwaway and that would be fine if you had a really strong written issue setting up the new Green Arrow but once again the shortcomings of one angle make the others look even worse.

I will definitely give this series a go, I snagged up almost all of Volume 3, well after Smith's run had come to an end. I think there is potential but if Krul is going to stay on this title he really needs to look at heroes like Daredevil and Punisher for inspiration and stop trying to make an Green Arrow a team book or a Green Batman title. As I explain Green Arrow to friends the similarity between him and Batman seem overwhelming without effort, so throwing in an Oracle 2.0 and such is only going to make the comparisons more frequent. The best thing they can do is really take this book to that point between James Bond and Vigilante Hero. Oliver Queen is the owner of one of third biggest companies in DC he should be more stealthy and secretive, he is only wearing a domino mask and seems to like to talk a lot, as a longtime reader, I have trouble buying that.

Potential is there for this title as long as corrective actions are made... but with potential comes bitter disappointment for the Emerald Archer.

16. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

Ahaha, Krul is leaving and Keith Giffen is taking over.

Let the awesomeness ensue.

17. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

Digging the fact, that Giffen is taking over.

Issue #2 felt like a slight improvement. Less baddies and more character development.

I'm still on the fence about the new approach to the character thus far.

Really curious to see what Giffen is going to change up.

18. Motown Marvel

Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

what issue is giffen taking over?

19. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

Issue 4.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/keith-giffen-dcnu-green-arrow-110920.html

20. chris moore

I don't know what reason Krul's leaving, but I can kind of see why it needs to happen. This second issue was just another "meh" one, with nothing really happening, and the very concept of these media frenzied superpowered idiots is becoming laughable.
    The new "Team Arrow" is still bugging the crap out of me, we have no idea about the why's wherefores or anything about Ollie's "Mission", and this iteration does seem like Green Arrow is 100% retconned. Not a single thing sticking from his former life. In this he actually seems like he's only been GA for about a month. I know he's been de-aged, but if the JLA has been around for five years at the present time, then I'd hate it if GA was only just starting now. Be better if he started operating as a superhero when the JLA formed and became semi-public. That way he might have been trying to think of a way to make something of his time on the island (assuming his origin is even that now) and his new-found outlook on life, then sees the JLA in action and decides that's how he's going to do it.

21. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Krul is leaving Green Arrow because DC offered him something that hasn't been announced yet. He had to choose between dropping Green Arrow or Captain Atom and he decided to drop Green Arrow because he's an even bigger Captain Atom fanboy and he's been writing Green Arrow for a little while now.

22. hippie_hunter

Ann Nocenti is taking over Green Arrow as full time writer with issue #7.

23. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

Token Vagina. :o

What exactly was GA doing in those first issues?

I woulda went with a Robin Hood Angle, robbing for corrupt corporations and dirty financiers and giving to the poor and disenfranchised. (While taking on brightly clad super villains)

24. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

He was trying to emulate Smallville as much as possible, if the art is any indication...

25. hippie_hunter

He's sorta like Steve Jobs as a superhero.