Green Arrow

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by IamtheBatman, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Anubis

Anubis Sup?

They failed miserably I take it.

Cuz that concept is 10 kinds of awesome in and of itself. :o

2. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

#3 was ok. Overall, first arc: wasn't impressed.

Looking forward to the change over in writers. Hope things improve beyond the first arc.

3. chris moore

chris moore Well-Known Member

This whole arc kind of went nowhere and did nothing, which is a huge shame for the fifth (or sixth?) revamp of Ollie and GA. I still have no idea how he fits in with the overall DCNu, or if this series at the moment is supposed to be set during the same time as the beginnings of the JLA five years ago. Doesn't feel like Krul set anything up really, so I really hope the final creative team does something substantial.
    As much as the four Robins in five or so years is yet to be explained, I don't see where Arsenal fits in in Ollie's history if he's running around in Outlaws with Starfire and Jason. Was he only GA's partner for a year? If so, when was this then? Still to come? Several years ago?

4. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

Wondering the exact same thing.

5. Cain

Cain I Heart Amazons

He made the right call cause his GA is beyond mediocre and at least his CA has been a decent read. I may add this book to the pull list once Nocenti jumps on but only if Men of War is canned after Ivan Brandon leaves & I need something to replace it with. I like Ollie but everything since he's been brought back from the dead has just been wick wick wack to me.

6. DarKush

DarKush Well-Known Member

Well, his Q-Pad has gotten mentions in several books so at least Ollie's technology has an impact on the rest of the DCU.

7. chris moore

Which Q-pad are they talking about though? Could be the Q-pad 4 and the one in GA is the Q-pad 1 for all we know, cos it looks very much like there's a 24ish year old Ollie running around with a couple of teenagers back in the Q-cave, yet a 24ish year old Roy running around with Starfire and Jason. Least with Bats there's a definite maturity to Bruce compared to any of the Robins (current and former).

8. Drz

Drz Real Hero

I'll be checking out Green Arrow with #7, Ann Nocenti returns to the world of comics! GOD MY OH:
    [​IMG]

9. HELL N' SPIDERS

HELL N' SPIDERS Spider with a Power Ring

Why does it look like he has a hood if he never uses it?

I was a HUGE fan of GA's 2000 run (after he comes back to life). and have been pretty disapointed with the new 52 GA so far. I'm sticking with it purely for the love of Ollie, but if things don't improve soon I'll be forced to spend my money elsewhere...

10. HELL N' SPIDERS

Hey. I just got GA: Year One. Haven't had time to read it yet, but was wondering what you guys thought of it?

11. Comics N' Toons

Comics N' Toons Viva La Revolucion!

Green Arrow Year One is one of the better mini series GA stories. It's basically his modern origin. I read it online and thought it was a neat way to handle the character.

If you want to collect GA in trade format, pick up everything by Kevin Smith and Judd Winik.

Also, Hell N' Spiders, since you are such a GL fan and you like Ollie, try getting your hands on Denny's GL/GA series from the 70's.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Arrow-Collection/dp/1401202241

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Arrow-Collection/dp/1401202306/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  12. Drz

Drz Real Hero

Green Arrow #7 preview!

13. Comics N' Toons

Nocenti's Daredevil was good. I'll check this out!

14. HELL N' SPIDERS

I've been eyeing it. The complete collection is also for sale in a hardcover, but I'm working my way through other stories right now. I'll wait and see.

15. chris moore

I'm sorry - but what, in the hell, was that?!
    I mean, the character is taking a big enough butchering in the Nu52 as it is (yet I keep coming back month after month in the hope that the next writer - what're we on, the third now? - will correct the incalculable mistakes thrust upon our favourite archer in a misguided effort to modernise and Smallville-ise him). But Nocenti really does seem to just be making up whatever personality for Ollie she wants. There is absolutely nothing in him (in all three "hims" we've seen since the relaunch) that suggests he learned anything about himself, about wealth, about the haves and have nots, during his time on the island (if any of his origin even remains). He has no goal, no viewpoint, no anything

16. hippie_hunter

hippie_hunter The King is Back!

Giffen and Jurgens were always meant to be a temporary team to continue on Krul's take until Nocenti got on board.

17. chris moore

Wasn't it Krul who introduced Naomi and Jax, the new (and lamest ever) team arrow? Either way, Nocenti seems to have started nothing to give me any faith in GA finally being done right.

18. HELL N' SPIDERS

There is nothing that says Ollie is even a hero in that issue...he doesn't save anyone or do anything heroic...he ditches his city and leaves it without a protector...ugh.

19. Comics N' Toons

it gives the impression that writers today are just lazy, because rather than find a legit way of attempting to show a conflicted hero, they just make Ollie this careless and halfway irresponsible person.

Sadly, there is a lot of lazy writing in comic books today!

20. Czar Colossus

Czar Colossus Well-Known Member

I guess we are to assume that this is deemed the best way to attract new readers. :whatever:

21. HELL N' SPIDERS

Oh also I hated the art from the last issue. It was really sloppy looking. Ollie looked like a monkey in some panels.

22. Comics N' Toons

I don't know. It is sad that publishers constantly feel the need to revisit origins or revamp their characters to attract new readers. They went decades without a single revamp and then with the 1986 Crisis, the world changed and since then origins and rebirths have happened left and right. While I admire DC's attempts at a revamp that pays great homage to their characters personal histories, it is already evident that this "New 52" thing is a flash in the pan.

As we saw with Mark Waid's Superman revamp and then the ill fated Superman Secret Origin by Geoff Johns, DC (and Marvel as well at this point) has a filthy habit of retconing stories or continuities in their infancy.

If this "New 52" stuff is not a flash in the pan or retconned in 2 years, I will be surprised.

If this gets new readers into comics, more power to them, but it is having the potential to turn veteran readers like myself off and not want to read mainstream comics anymore.

23. Czar Colossus

24. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

Big universal shake-ups, events and new number ones have been selling comics for 20 years now. It's a sad fact, but the truth is comic fans eat game-changing events up like chocolate flavored crack.

Just look at the top ten highest selling comics of the past 10 years:

Justice League of America #1
    Action Comics #1
    Batman #1
    Secret Invasion #1
    Infinite Crisis #1
    All Star Batman #1
    Captain America #25 (The Death of Captain America)
    Civil War #2
    Justice League #1
    Amazing Spider-Man #583

Outside if the Barack issue of Spider-Man, every single one of those comics were either a #1 and/or an event. Now did they bring in new readers? Who knows. But they sure as hell sold more than Detective Comics #790 or Amazing Spider-Man #436. And that's really all publishers -as (hopefully) intelligent business owners - care about.

25. Czar Colossus

Yes...you state the case logically. Your point is irrefutable. $$$$ is the bottom line. Not unlike other areas of entertainment, as long as the initial response is to buy into something that seems big with hard earned money; quality tends to suffer. The best stories are often overlooked.At times I have doubts about the future of the comic book industry as it is.