Green Lantern Recharge Talkback/Discussion

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by DrVenkman90, Sep 21, 2005.

1. DrVenkman90

DrVenkman90 Registered

So what did you guys think of number 1. I personally think anything Johns does is gold.

2. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I think the mini is much more Gibbons than it is Johns behind the pen, but I liked it. Lots of geat moments, like Guy's usual boasting, Kyle getting the respect he deserves from the Guardians, the rebuilt Oa looking all badass, the newbie recruits complaining about the yellow thing, etc. And some of the new recruits look very interesting, especially the Rannian and the Korugar chick who quit but will inevitably be back. :)

The only minor drawback was that Gleason's art was a bit dodgy in some places. I have to admire him for some of the angles he chooses, though. That tight panel with the upward perspective on Hal's face behind the oxygen mask in particular was absolutely perfect for the mood of that scene.

3. KingOfDreams

KingOfDreams Registered

I was kind of disappointed. I can't help but compare this and the ongoing GL series to Rebirth...and both just aren't as good.

4. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

I liked it. Kinda confused by the 7400 member thing though. Why so many if there are only 3600 sectors? Back-ups or something?

5. Lackey

Lackey Registered

it's 7200... 3600 x 2... two green lanterns for every sector. Hal and John are the two for Earth's sector.

6. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

Okay. Is this something new? I know there were always alternates...Guy and then John for Hal back in the day...but I don't recall them always having two active for each sector.

7. BrianWilly

BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Nope, it's different from the past. Obviously, the Guardians are trying something new. You'll notice that they have a new addendum to the ring thing: you can't use it in direct violation of the Guardian's code. They have to be more careful, now, learning from past mistakes.

Here's my post word for word from the Bought/Thought thread:

8. Sentry2005

Sentry2005 Registered

i thought it was good. on par, if not better, than the current GL solo series. but it could be because i love guy gardner as a character. always has been my joint fave green lantern (come on... we all love alan scott :D), so i like that the focus is on him in this series. well, him, kyle and kilowog :D

9. glfan83

glfan83 Registered

Well, not everyone loves Alan...Trust me, I've had to defend him multiple times to crazy, obsessed Hal-fanboys.

10. SuGarRush

SuGarRush The praetor of prattle

well heres the thing, I think Sentry is a great character. Alan Scott is a great person. I love his role as a father figure in the JSA. Think he does a great job, and as a founding member I don't think anyone could fill his boots...
    that being said, I will never call him Green Lantern.

11. BrianWilly

BrianWilly Disciple of Whedon

Sentinel:p.

12. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

I enjoyed it overall even if my fav didn't make an appearance.

I'm hoping the Soap opera doesn't continue much longer,... Guy Gardner was a TEACHER prior to being a Lantern, A Power Ring USED to be able to protect the wearer from Black Holes, The JOB USED to be Voluntary.

Whoops,... My pickiy cynicism is showing.

13. DrVenkman90

DrVenkman90 Registered

At least Hal was there, he is the best.

14. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

That must suck for you, then. Calling him "That guy who has more of a right to the name I won't call him than anyone who's come after him, since he was its original bearer" is a real mouthful to recite every time Alan appears. :(

15. SuGarRush

whups! lol, and I now I feel dumb....

16. SuGarRush

More right to the name?
    If you mean the first human to be a member of the Green Lantern corp, to wear the uniform, carry the corp issued ring, report to the oans, and be assigned to this sector, then yes, that's what i define a green lantern by. GL is a job title, like Police Officer, or Special Agent.
    Anybody could call themselves Police Officer, but unless they are actually hired by the city, they aren't one.
    Just my opinion.

17. Lackey

Lackey Registered

you ever met a retired teacher? sometimes they're the most adamantly against teaching than others who don't know what they're getting into.

just because the power ring has the potential to protect its wearer from black holes doesn't mean that particular new recruit new how to use it to protect himself... he was a newbie. If it had been Kyle or Hal, they probably would've survived having had enough experience to handle the situation.

the Job is still voluntary... where did you get the idea that it wasn't?

18. Nick Eastwood

Nick Eastwood Registered

I liked it, and I just became a Gleason fan. I love his facial expressions. Awesome.

I want to see more Kyle.

The only thing I'm getting tired of, though I know it's become a central part of the GL mythos is this whole "Fear" thing. After it being said a bunch of times, it just seems tired and cheesy.

I'd like to see Somanik Natu (Korugar) grow as a character. I think, though I haven't been a long-time DC/GL reader, that seeing someone like a Korugarian become one of the greatest GLs of all time, bringing honor back to her people, that would be such a great and impacting thing to reach for.

19. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Green Lantern is a title for a superhero that Alan Scott invented on Earth, though. He's this planet's first GL and he's proven himself to be one of the most respectable, powerful, and enduring heroes over the 50 or so years he's been active. He's been recognized by the Guardians as an honorary member of the Corps, as well, so it'd actually be more like a private detective who did the exact same job as the "real" cops, but he did it so well that the state actually sought him out in order to grant him the title of "police officer." Hal, John, and Kyle have all turned to Alan for advice and support throughout the years, too.

20. Lt. Figgnuts

Lt. Figgnuts Back...from the graaaave!

Would all of you guys recommend the new Green Lantern series?

I've been wanting to get into the character on a monthly basis, but I'm not sure if the new ongoing is any good.

21. DrVenkman90

DrVenkman90 Registered

Its my second favorite comic. Its really good. I highly suggest you getting it. You could still pick up the first issues on ebay.

22. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

I'd recommend it. It's a pretty good series, although it's got a tendency to be late already.

23. yenaled

yenaled 3X2(9YZ)4A

Just picked this up, completly loved it. I agree it is definatly more Gibbons than Johns, but you can tell Johns has been asked about it. (At least we didn't see Hal punching someone).

Kyle seems a lot more himself in this, and Guy is written perfectly. I can't wait to see where this is going too, maybe the return of the Controllers.

I also love the fact that Mogo will be in the next issue.

24. Lt. Figgnuts

Lt. Figgnuts Back...from the graaaave!

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the first issue...

25. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Registered

Mogo is sweet. Has anyone read the Alan Moore story he wrote about him? I loved it. :up:

I'm also really, really happy this is turning into a ongoing with the same creative team.