Green Lantern Recharge Talkback/Discussion

DrVenkman90

Sidekick
Reaction score
So what did you guys think of number 1. I personally think anything Johns does is gold.

I think the mini is much more Gibbons than it is Johns behind the pen, but I liked it. Lots of geat moments, like Guy's usual boasting, Kyle getting the respect he deserves from the Guardians, the rebuilt Oa looking all badass, the newbie recruits complaining about the yellow thing, etc. And some of the new recruits look very interesting, especially the Rannian and the Korugar chick who quit but will inevitably be back. :)

The only minor drawback was that Gleason's art was a bit dodgy in some places. I have to admire him for some of the angles he chooses, though. That tight panel with the upward perspective on Hal's face behind the oxygen mask in particular was absolutely perfect for the mood of that scene.

I was kind of disappointed. I can't help but compare this and the ongoing GL series to Rebirth...and both just aren't as good.

I liked it. Kinda confused by the 7400 member thing though. Why so many if there are only 3600 sectors? Back-ups or something?

RockSP said:
I liked it. Kinda confused by the 7400 member thing though. Why so many if there are only 3600 sectors? Back-ups or something?

it's 7200... 3600 x 2... two green lanterns for every sector. Hal and John are the two for Earth's sector.

Lackey said:
it's 7200... 3600 x 2... two green lanterns for every sector. Hal and John are the two for Earth's sector.

Okay. Is this something new? I know there were always alternates...Guy and then John for Hal back in the day...but I don't recall them always having two active for each sector.

Nope, it's different from the past. Obviously, the Guardians are trying something new. You'll notice that they have a new addendum to the ring thing: you can't use it in direct violation of the Guardian's code. They have to be more careful, now, learning from past mistakes.

Here's my post word for word from the Bought/Thought thread:
BrianWilly said:
Green Lantern: Recharge
I very rarely buy individual issues. Even for my most favorite comics, I collect TPBs because it's much easier for me to do so. Once in a purple moon, however, I like something so much that I'm just compelled beyond all logic to just buy the dang thing on the spot. This was one of those times.

I loved this. It was pretty much the Guy Gardner show through and through, but to me this is also the continuation of Kyle's story. We all know how thoroughly shafted Kyle got last year, with the crappy ending to his solo run through crappy Jade ****ing around etc etc etc, and one of the worst things about it was how his story was all of the sudden over. All his hard work, all his triumphs and failures, all of it just stopped.

To me, this is the next chapter finally come: The Corps is finally back, something Kyle tried to do over and over again throughout his adventures, and a very large part of it is due to him. Seeing the Guardians of the Universe lick his boots and call him the Torch-Bearer was like seeing years of hard work finally compensated.

Meanwhile, we get a really good feel for the new GL Corps and its members. Seeing gigantic squid-monsters and robots with GL uniforms was a part of what made the GL Corps so fun in the first place, and it's nice to revisit that. And yay for Mogo reference.

Oh, and Guy Gardner's ass is hairy.

(10/10)

i thought it was good. on par, if not better, than the current GL solo series. but it could be because i love guy gardner as a character. always has been my joint fave green lantern (come on... we all love alan scott :D), so i like that the focus is on him in this series. well, him, kyle and kilowog :D

Well, not everyone loves Alan...Trust me, I've had to defend him multiple times to crazy, obsessed Hal-fanboys.

well heres the thing, I think Sentry is a great character. Alan Scott is a great person. I love his role as a father figure in the JSA. Think he does a great job, and as a founding member I don't think anyone could fill his boots...
that being said, I will never call him Green Lantern.

DrVenkman90 said:
So what did you guys think of number 1. I personally think anything Johns does is gold.
I enjoyed it overall even if my fav didn't make an appearance.

I'm hoping the Soap opera doesn't continue much longer,... Guy Gardner was a TEACHER prior to being a Lantern, A Power Ring USED to be able to protect the wearer from Black Holes, The JOB USED to be Voluntary.

Whoops,... My pickiy cynicism is showing.

SuGarRush said:
well heres the thing, I think Sentry is a great character. Alan Scott is a great person. I love his role as a father figure in the JSA. Think he does a great job, and as a founding member I don't think anyone could fill his boots...
that being said, I will never call him Green Lantern.
That must suck for you, then. Calling him "That guy who has more of a right to the name I won't call him than anyone who's come after him, since he was its original bearer" is a real mouthful to recite every time Alan appears. :(

TheCorpulent1 said:
That must suck for you, then. Calling him "That guy who has more of a right to the name I won't call him than anyone who's come after him, since he was its original bearer" is a real mouthful to recite every time Alan appears. :(

More right to the name?
If you mean the first human to be a member of the Green Lantern corp, to wear the uniform, carry the corp issued ring, report to the oans, and be assigned to this sector, then yes, that's what i define a green lantern by. GL is a job title, like Police Officer, or Special Agent.
Anybody could call themselves Police Officer, but unless they are actually hired by the city, they aren't one.
Just my opinion.

Varient said:
I enjoyed it overall even if my fav didn't make an appearance.

I'm hoping the Soap opera doesn't continue much longer,... Guy Gardner was a TEACHER prior to being a Lantern, A Power Ring USED to be able to protect the wearer from Black Holes, The JOB USED to be Voluntary.

Whoops,... My pickiy cynicism is showing.

you ever met a retired teacher? sometimes they're the most adamantly against teaching than others who don't know what they're getting into.

just because the power ring has the potential to protect its wearer from black holes doesn't mean that particular new recruit new how to use it to protect himself... he was a newbie. If it had been Kyle or Hal, they probably would've survived having had enough experience to handle the situation.

the Job is still voluntary... where did you get the idea that it wasn't?

I liked it, and I just became a Gleason fan. I love his facial expressions. Awesome.

I want to see more Kyle.

The only thing I'm getting tired of, though I know it's become a central part of the GL mythos is this whole "Fear" thing. After it being said a bunch of times, it just seems tired and cheesy.

I'd like to see Somanik Natu (Korugar) grow as a character. I think, though I haven't been a long-time DC/GL reader, that seeing someone like a Korugarian become one of the greatest GLs of all time, bringing honor back to her people, that would be such a great and impacting thing to reach for.

SuGarRush said:
More right to the name?
If you mean the first human to be a member of the Green Lantern corp, to wear the uniform, carry the corp issued ring, report to the oans, and be assigned to this sector, then yes, that's what i define a green lantern by. GL is a job title, like Police Officer, or Special Agent.
Anybody could call themselves Police Officer, but unless they are actually hired by the city, they aren't one.
Just my opinion.
Green Lantern is a title for a superhero that Alan Scott invented on Earth, though. He's this planet's first GL and he's proven himself to be one of the most respectable, powerful, and enduring heroes over the 50 or so years he's been active. He's been recognized by the Guardians as an honorary member of the Corps, as well, so it'd actually be more like a private detective who did the exact same job as the "real" cops, but he did it so well that the state actually sought him out in order to grant him the title of "police officer." Hal, John, and Kyle have all turned to Alan for advice and support throughout the years, too.

Would all of you guys recommend the new Green Lantern series?

I've been wanting to get into the character on a monthly basis, but I'm not sure if the new ongoing is any good.

Its my second favorite comic. Its really good. I highly suggest you getting it. You could still pick up the first issues on ebay.

I'd recommend it. It's a pretty good series, although it's got a tendency to be late already.

Just picked this up, completly loved it. I agree it is definatly more Gibbons than Johns, but you can tell Johns has been asked about it. (At least we didn't see Hal punching someone).

Kyle seems a lot more himself in this, and Guy is written perfectly. I can't wait to see where this is going too, maybe the return of the Controllers.

I also love the fact that Mogo will be in the next issue.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the first issue...

yenaled said:
I also love the fact that Mogo will be in the next issue.

Mogo is sweet. Has anyone read the Alan Moore story he wrote about him? I loved it. :up:

I'm also really, really happy this is turning into a ongoing with the same creative team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"