OLD Green Lantern HBO Max Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we got a John Diggle/Green Lantern tease on Arrow last night. Guggenheim and David Ramsey addressed the tease, acknowledging that the vagueness was deliberate and a result of parameters set by DC. It wasn’t an overt confirmation that he would become Green Lantern, but more of a tease.

I think this lack of a concrete answer lends credence to the idea that the HBO Max series wont feature David Ramsey as John Stewart. If it were affiliated, I would think Arrow would’ve directly set up that GL tv show. The fact that it’s on a different channel suggests it wouldn’t feature Ramsey, but Berlanti’s involvement made me think it’s possible.

Nothing against David Ramsey; he's a decent enough actor and looks the part, but I don't want him or any other actors connected to the Arrowverse to be part of this. I know those shows have a lot of fans, and good for them, but a Green Lantern show that is the same level of quality as those shows would excite me about as much as the announcement of the next Larry the Cable Guy film. GL is something that demands high quality production, good writing and better actors.

I mean it's Greg Berlanti. I wouldn't expect any of that from any of his shiows

Honestly I wouldn't look deeply into it as it's just a easter egg and I read somewhere that Ramsey wanted a ending where they've teased Diggle at becoming a Green Lantern. I can't see Diggle appearing in this show.

So we got a John Diggle/Green Lantern tease on Arrow last night.
Nothing against David Ramsey; he's a decent enough actor and looks the part, but I don't want him or any other actors connected to the Arrowverse to be part of this.
Honestly I wouldn't look deeply into it as it's just a easter egg and I read somewhere that Ramsey wanted a ending where they've teased Diggle at becoming a Green Lantern. I can't see Diggle appearing in this show.
Earth-90’s Barry Allen recognises a John Diggle as a Green Lantern, and so in the multiverse it’s all possible. Maybe David Ramsay will appear as a different version of himself, I associated with what is now Earth-Prime.

Besides, what Diggle found, as stated in the Arrow thread, might’ve been Kryptonite!

Doom Patrol and Black Lightning say hi.
Can't comment on Doom Patrol (i hear it's really good), but I didn't any of that except good acting from Cress Williams from BL.
I liked BL, but I wouldn't say high quality production, good writing and better actors is something it really had.

Titans was such a disappointment. I enjoy pretty much all the Berlanti shows because I’m such a DC fanboy, but i wish they had better writing, bigger budgets, and better actors. Hopefully the fact that it’ll be on HBO Max would mean this’ll be a step up for GL.

I've heard mixed things about Titans but nothing I've seen in the clips made me feel like investing in DC's streaming service. I've heard good things about Doom Patrol but I've never followed that series.

I don't know. I really want DC to be successful in film and TV but they just seem to be all over the place in terms of quality, tone, etc. You have the CW shows, which have some nice moments but often just feel cheap and corny. That's fine for D-listers like the Green Arrow (with apologies to the Ollie fans out there) but when you start getting into your god-tier heroes like Superman, you just think, "They deserve better." Then you have the streaming service stuff which seems like it's well received but the budget constraints are still obvious, at least from what I've seen. And then there are the movies which range from amazing (Joker, Wonder Woman) to good (Shazam) to average (Aquaman) to god-awful (Justice League, BvS, Suicide Squad). Now we have Birds of Prey, which might be good, or it might just feel like Suicide Squad 2 (and Suicide Squad 2 is also coming out, which, despite the presence of James Gunn and Idris Elba, is not a film I can bring myself to get excited for yet). I am looking forward to Wonder Woman 1984 and possibly Black Adam as long as it doesn't just feel like another "Dwayne Johnson being Dwayne Johnson" movie (see: Hobbs & Shaw). And The Batman obviously has my interest but it will have to be flat out amazing for it top or even rival the Nolan films, IMO.

I don't know, is anyone else in the same boat when it comes to DC? Like it's hard to be really excited about them as a whole because I feel like they're cranking out so much content but so much of it is just mediocre.

Geoff Johns Is Now a Producer on HBO Max's Live-Action GREEN LANTERN TV Series — GeekTyrant

A few months ago we learned that Warner Bros. and DC were developing a Green Lantern TV series for HBO Max with Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Titans, Doom Patrol). Well, over the weekend the series was listed on the official website of Mad Ghost Productions, which is Geoff Johns's production company, so it looks like he’s jumped on board as a producer.

The show doesn’t have an official title yet, but it will be a live-action series and it’s rumored to tie into the Green Lantern Corps movie, which has been set up at the studio for years

UnluckyUnknownDunnart-size_restricted.gif

Ha, yeah if Green lantern is there Johns has to turn up sooner or later. Still, it’s pretty fun

Any idea what the budget will be for this? I'm excited but slightly nervous.

I assume pretty decent considering HBO and WB's pockets.

Probably less that the mandorlorian since it’s arguably not as viable a brand as Star Wars. But still pretty decent I would imagine. Or every planet will happen to look like California

Geoff Johns produces the following shows:
Stargirl
Superman and Lois
Batwoman
Titans
Doom Patrol
Green Lantern

Also co-developed The Flash.

Yeah I’m a bit worried they’ll cheap out on the environments and just make every planet look like a quarry or something

New HBO Max promo seems to confirm this series for next year, which is honestly earlier than I'd expected:

That’s very sudden. I guess we’ll see but I haven’t even heard if they’ve started asking around for casting yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"