Little Women’

The 1994 Gillian Armstrong adaptation is the definitive Little Women for me. The cast cannot be beaten and are all perfect in my eyes, especially Thomas Newman's classic and timeless music. I also like the Elizabeth Taylor adaptation to a lesser degree.

I don't like Emma Watson's acting, but since she's playing the slightly stuck up, goodie goodie Meg she'll do okay since that role fits her stuck up, pole up her backside "acting" style. Also Saiorse's acting is going to embarrass Emma's.

I'm against this, since the 1994 is timeless and holds up, but I do understand that this current generation needs their own adaptation with their own young actors plus Greta and co. needs their Oscar baits. I like Saoirse and Timothee so I'll check this one out once it's on free-to-air TV.
A better director, with a cast on par. This has all the chance to be as good, if not better imo.

I love the 1994 adaptation, but this actually kind of reminds me of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice situation, though not a 1 for 1. Plenty adore the 1995 BBC adaptation, said it couldn't be beat. But as a film and adaptation of the material, I feel like the 2005 version easily outdoes the BBC adaptation. Beyond it just being a far more cinematic telling of the story, with top notch direction, cinematography, music, editing, etc. The general tone of the story matches the youthful nature, by updating it with some more modern sensibilities in that regard. The 90s classics adaptations are for the most part, very good imo. But they feel adapted with an older energy, even by 90s standards, even Little Women, which does trend more youthful then most of the others imo (like Lee's Sense and Sensibility). If you give me something more akin to Lady Bird then a BBC adaptation, I think it has a real chance of being the adaptation.

I'm sure Watson will ruin what would otherwise be a fine trailer

Can't wait to see this. Really like the cast and director for this.

I like the 1994 version starring Winona Ryder a lot, so this will have an uphill battle for me.

oEp09OZa

little-women-photos-ss07.jpg

little-women-photos-ss05.jpg

little-women-photos-ss06.jpg

little-women-photos-ss02.jpg

little-women-photos-ss10.jpg

Will be tough for me to see anyone but Claire Danes as Beth.

Greta behind the camera? Great.
Emma Watson? Fine.
Timothy Chamelon? Sure.

But you better believe I'm here for Laura Dern, bench.

Greta behind the camera? Great.
Emma Watson? Fine.
Timothy Chamelon? Sure.

But you better believe I'm here for Laura Dern, *****.
The lack of Saoirse Ronan in your post is disturbing.

They really nailed the illustrations artists from that era drew.

As someone who never read the novel, is there a lot to still mine that the previous versions - or specifically the 1994 adaptation - never did?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"