Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does no one else think the humour in this trailer looks really forced?
Yes and no, but that's part of the problem - it was inconsistent. I thought Korath's reaction to Star Lord was funny, but the rest of the gag fell a bit flat...very awkward altogether. Jon C. Reilly was hit or miss as well. I actually like what I've seen of James Gunn so far, so I'm a bit taken aback.

The teaser definitely is getting good to great buzz, however, I was a bit disappointed to see that it's the same trailer as Comic Con with a couple of new shots here & there, they did the same thing with Godzilla, it strikes me as kind of lazy, but I guess it's easier for them to have the trailer alrdy cut & done, and just touching up the CG.

Anyway, I had already seen it in bootleg quality and I kind of regretted it, because otherwise, I would have been really blown away, since I've already seen it before, I'll just say that it's a very effective TEASER trailer, those already writing it off or saying "it doesn't do anything for me" are kind of missing the point here, as with most teasers, this is basically a montage of images out of context, with a good chunk of the trailer dedicated to showing off who the characters are, otherwise, you can't really judge the movie in any form except that Pratt looks great, the humor looks good, although it probably won't be for everyone considering it's Gunn, but at least, there will be plenty of spectacle for those who don't enjoy that part.

Your point that seeing the Comic Con footage kind of dampened the reaction to the teaser is spot on. The majority of people who saw that footage weren't at SDCC, so we saw an extremely poor quality bootleg online. The "been there, done that" factor along with the bad quality has had an effect on some peoples' perceptions, I suspect.

Someone on Twitter described GOTG as, "an adult Futurama."

I don't think I've seen a better description for tone than that. (Which is a good thing for me...)

It does sound like we are getting a second trailer very soon though.

I will say...it does look like a more expensive version of Serenity.

Which is one if my favorite sci-fi movies of the past decade.

But yeah. Got a Serenity vibe when the stills were released.

Yeah, so count me as excited for this movie. I've never read any Guardians of the Galaxy comics and the only info I know about them is what I've looked up online. I didn't have any real expectations going in and wasn't even sure I'd watch the movie in theaters. But you better believe my butt will be in the theaters opening day now. Chris Pratt looks like he's going to kill it. And Rocket Raccoon might just become my favorite character. This honestly looks like what Green Lantern should have been so kudos to Marvel

Your point that seeing the Comic Con footage kind of dampened the reaction to the teaser is spot on. The majority of people who saw that footage weren't at SDCC, so we saw an extremely poor quality bootleg online. The "been there, done that" factor along with the bad quality has had an effect on some peoples' perceptions, I suspect.

Yup, and that's also why I say it's a TEASER, I mean, come on, it's almost a year old, they showed the same thing at Comic Con, the only new thing here is the shot of The Collector, final Nebula, touched up CG, that's it if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know that I'd say that. I'm a raving Marvel fanboy who's foaming at the mouth with anticipation, and I suffered through that awful bootleg. I think most of the people who care enough to watch the bootleg aren't peoe waiting to be won over.

If you think about it, Marvel is going full speed with the Captain America marketing. Guardians is being released a little earlier than they did with Thor 2 after Iron Man 3 so they're kind conflicting. Makes sense they aren't showing too much of Guardians other than an introduction to their side of the galaxy.

the newer gotg comics explained that a universal translator is common place throughout the galaxy, at least for species with any kind of tech capable of interstellar travel.

That's kinda referenced in the trailer, too....Quill is listed as having some sort of universal translator implanted into his voicebox. Thus, all the aliens can understand him even though he's speaking Americanese.

SONOVAGUNN.jpg

I won't be going to see this. How dare they cast a black guy as Korath!!! :cmad: Sick of this pc crap. Plenty of good blue actors without jobs but they pull this racebending crap?!!? @#$% you, marvel!!!!11!!

I thought John C Reilly and his partner were the weakest parts of the trailer. The delivery of "What a bunch of..." felt forced.

That being said, I do like the song at the end, as being a child of the 80s, it gives me hope that this movie will be more escapist summer fun like the original Star Wars, or even knockoffs like The Last Starfighter. I know Thanos is supposed to be in this, but part of me wishes this part of the MCU would remain disconnected from the Avengers universe for awhile. Easter eggs are nice, but I don't want them forced in just to remind the GA that these people are in the same universe as Iron Man, Thor, etc.

I won't be going to see this. How dare they cast a black guy as Korath!!! :cmad: Sick of this pc crap. Plenty of good blue actors without jobs but they pull this racebending crap?!!? @#$% you, marvel!!!!11!!

At first I was all... o_O

Then I reread your post. ;)

I like that most movies get the silky smooth narration of Morgan Freeman in their trailers - while Guardians has the awkward mumblings of John C. Reilly.

I know that throws things off for most people, but it feels really fitting when you think about it.

Does no one else think the humour in this trailer looks really forced?

Sounds like it may not be your brand of humor. I didn't think it was forced at all. Doesn't mean I loved every joke, but I don't think they were going too far out of their way to be funny. It seemed natural in the scheme of things.

Sounds like it may not be your brand of humor. I didn't think it was forced at all. Doesn't mean I loved every joke, but I don't think they were going too far out of their way to be funny. It seemed natural in the scheme of things.

Yip. I agree with this.

I'm not sure, this film seems to be as much comedy as it is an action adventure, so all the humor seems to fit.

Yeah, while not every gag hit, it still felt like a natural extension of the writing, rather than someone going, "We need something funny here!"

I also agree that A-Holes feels a little restrained and could use something stronger - hopefully there's a few different options they shot.

But yeah, love the stuff with Star-Lord, who is the number one focus here.

I'm a little in love with Serafinowiz' "What the bad place?" Right before they show Groot. Because... What else can be said?

Rewatched it again, and it looks so fresh & different. Looks very faithful to the comics in spirit, I wonder if that's Tyler's score we hear at the beginning of the trailer. It all feels very dynamic in terms of editing, all the Starlord jokes definitely work for me, it's different and it's edited, so it'll be even better in the finished movie, the action seems like it's going to be very well shot, and it's hugely impressive how great Rocket & Groot look considering Gunn said (in his breakdown of the trailer) that they are "nearly" finished.

Visually, it also looks pretty good, Marvel movies tend to be competent in terms of cinematography, but rarely spectacular, this could be a nice change. Ben Davis, the DP, is really damn good too, so that's promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"