Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait....are you saying this looks realistic to you? :huh:

No ...I think the film maker should have some idea of the characters and resepect the source material that is already pretty darn successful before he got his hands on it.

I expect some changes....I already said that.

But this movie???? A SPACE FLICK WITH GREEN PEOPLE and talking raccoons??? There's no excuse to change a thing visually.....just give us a good story.

This was one of those RARE opportunities to not let realism get in the way! For once we all could have gotten the visuals we've all enjoyed on the pages.

A director should respect the CORE of the comic book lore right (ie. "what are these Guardians of the Galaxy up to," "what are the single characters up to?"); then, like an artist, he can put his own stamp on it. Keeping the foundations, but building onto that. Superman drawn by John Romita Jr. will not look the same as the one drawn by Curt Swan. It's just that comic book geeks will often go with whatever is brought to them in the form of comics, but those "big, bad Hollywood guys just wanna destroy everything."

Let's open up a bit, shall we? ;) Because we're talking about MOVIES here. And MOVIES are directed by DIRECTORS. Directors (and writers, etc.) are what have made movies great in the last years, and a bunch of superheroes suddenly turing up on the big screen won't change that. When these comic flicks turn out to be great, it's not because they just shoved your fanboy wet dreams in front of a camera, it's because there's a director's vision behind the transition from comic books to big screen. But eh, I guess I'm in the wrong place...

Man I was gonna try and catch up on this thread but no way am I going to go through 34 pages haha. The trailer looked awesome, watched it a few times now. They had a really good breakdown of it over at io9 today. Very excited for this movie

But DoFP has like over 24 million! Clearly the superior film in every way. :dry:

christian-bale-and-kermit-the-frog.gif

Wait....are you saying this looks realistic to you? :huh:

Nova Corps aren't wearing spandex so Marvel has clearly buckled under the demand for realism.

On top of that they probably stole the idea from Chris Nolan. :o

Umbutwhat???

We are getting the visuals that we want.

I... Do not understand this nerdrage here.

It cannot be understood by anyone borne of this universe.

Also in that totalfilm link:

It’s important to add that we left out some of our coolest characters – Lee Pace’s Ronan the Accuser, Michael Rooker’s Yondu, and Glenn Close’s Nova Prime – because we want to save them for the full trailer in a couple months.

Just brought up Glenn Close in the last page. I expect her character to be pretty awesome.

Has this already been posted? James Gunn breaks down the Guardians trailer.

My favorite bit:

Bolded part, FTW. Everyone loves to assume that Marvel dictates everything their directors do. I love it when directors set the record straight.

You can pretty much tell when they do and when they don't. The last Thor film wasn't so lucky. Iron Man 3, FORTUNATELY, was!

Interesting that Gunn refers to it as the "full trailer"

Almost like he and Marvel view this current one as a... teaser trailer

It kind of is a teaser trailer. It was even posted as "Teaser trailer" on the Marvel's offical Italian Youtube channel.

Aww, come on. Except for Iron Man 1 & 3 all the other efforts where kind of half-assed attempts at those genres. Like, let's have it be a WWII period piece, BUT NOT QUITE. Let's make this sci-fi fantay, BUT NOT QUITE. They've made half-steps, and that's about it. No bold strokes, as Shane Black likes to put it. They really were just superhero mash-ups, and that's about it. Some period stuff thrown or Shakespearian language thrown in there won't make them any less generic.

If you equate putting superhero elements into existing genres and targeting them towards a broad age range a "half assed" effort, then they probably will never be a good match for your taste in films.

http://io9.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-that-guardians-of-the-1525743960

That's the link to the io9 breakdown. It's got screen grabs from the trailer and a really good breakdown of the characters and some of their history for anyone that needs a general introduction to the characters. Not that anyone here would need it but if you have a friend or family member asking about it tell them to check out that article

It kind of is a teaser trailer. It was even posted as "Teaser trailer" on the Marvel's offical Italian Youtube channel.
I know, I was saying that it was a teaser last night. But some other people were arguing that it couldn't possibly be a teaser because it's 2 and a half minutes long

Has this already been posted? James Gunn breaks down the Guardians trailer.

My favorite bit:

Bolded part, FTW. Everyone loves to assume that Marvel dictates everything their directors do. I love it when directors set the record straight.

And whenever they do, everyone just spouts - "Obviously they're gonna praise the people writing their paychecks!" As if an employee's accord is only true when they're negative, like the oh-so-known-to-work-well-with actors Terrence Howard and Mickey Rourke. :o

You can pretty much tell when they do and when they don't. The last Thor film wasn't so lucky. Iron Man 3, FORTUNATELY, was!

Totes. :up:

Really makes me wonder what Jenkins and Kirk had up their sleeves when they were initially hired. May have been terrible for all we know, but must've been pretty interesting.

Also in that totalfilm link:

Wonder when "couple months" actually is - with CA:TWS would be pretty sweet is all... :woot:

gy8lV.gif

If you equate putting superhero elements into existing genres and targeting them towards a broad age range a "half assed" effort, then they probably will never be a good match for your taste in films.

Nah, that's not the point. See, it's not like Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" movies AREN'T targeted towards a broad age range, yet I love them (the first two). And with those movies it's probably the other way around, to me it feels more like they put some very shy hints from other genres into that kind of cookie-cutter, prepackaged 'superhero/comic book movie' format, and called it a day. "Hey, take the standard superhero origin script out, and rewrite so one is set in WWII, and the other one is set on Asgard."

From that totalfilm thing

I love Groot so much I get teary eyed when I think of him sometimes.

Essentially, all the Guardians start out the movie as bastards - except Groot. He’s an innocent. He’s a hundred percent deadly and a hundred percent sweet. He’s caught up in Rocket’s life, really.

The shot of Groot in the trailer took a few weeks to create, but the development of his look and how he moves took the better part of a year.

tumblr_n189f3mIF61qblc8xo4_r1_500.gif

Awwww

I know, I was saying that it was a teaser last night. But some other people were arguing that it couldn't possibly be a teaser because it's 2 and a half minutes long

Preaching to the choir brother !

Ohhhhhh... Michael Rooker! Is it wrong for me to hope he keeps his "country" accent as Yondu? Because that would get many knickers in a twist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"