Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 14

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.Radd Registered

I've always had it as half way between than-ohs and than-ose.

2. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Always pronounced it Than- oss myself, it just always to seemed to me to be a name thats said how its spelt. But a lot of the names in the LOTR movies were pronounced differently than I knew them, maybe this will be the same?

3. T.Radd Registered

As probably the largest greek mythology nerd I know, if we were to go off Thanatos it would be thunose. Thanatos is pronounced thunaytose. Which is absolutely mental. haha

4. T.Radd Registered

let a non reader borrow one of my JLA books once, when it was returned he commented on how badass DarkSayid was. No words.

5. fixxxer ...goes to 11

LMAO. Naveen Andrews IS Dark Sayeed! :funny:

6. The Endless WE are Groot

I always thought Darkseid was Dark-Seed. But apparently it's pronounced Darkside. Ehh, i prefer my way.

7. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Man 45 days to go till this is released in the States (excluding today) !!! So very happy, really can't wait for this. Teekay got me even more hyped than I already was for this movie

8. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Same with me. Darkseed sounds way more badass too me

9. Whiskey Tango Registered

Aye, 45 days isn't really long at all considering we'll soon have lots of promotional stuff to keep us entertained. It's the home stretch! :awesome:

Dark Side was how the pronounced it on Superfriends, iirc. Although I don't know if "because that's how Superfriends did it" is a good reason for anything. :D

10. AlexanderLykins Registered

I don't count weekends. Also they release the movie at 9:00 P.M. PT on Thursday, July 31st. You also have to take out the 4th of July as well. So it's essentially 32 days. Just trying to tell myself it's closer than it is.

11. Hunter Rider Ronin

Reminder ^^^^^^^

12. Whiskey Tango Registered

13. Dr. Evil Registered

In regards to this movie:

[​IMG]

14. Broseph44 Witness Me

In regards to my feelings, this is me on the inside right now dying to see this film.

[​IMG]

15. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

SuperHeroHype just posted up a new TV spot, with a little new footage:

//www.superherohype.com/news/3...-character-spot-features-new-footage#/slide/1

To be honest, I'm not so keen on this one. The editing is particularly poor, from Star-Lord's serious, apparent mid-sentence line being cut into an awkward, unfunny punchline in reply to Glenn Close to Pratt's voice-over in general sounding disjointed, at times on a word-by-word basis. And I think that "Star-Lord"/"Who?" beat is officially dead with how often it's been played and re-played.

16. Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I just ignore TV spots completely because usually after two trailers It's really all I need. The only time I see spots anyways is when I actually watch TV....which is rare.

17. Whiskey Tango Registered

TV spots are for the rubes imo

18. Katsuro Registered

Yeah, this one had a lot of weird cutting-together of dialogue. Most obvious was "Rocket. and. Groot." Really obviously taken from three separate points in the movie and stitched together.

19. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

They really need to stop with the Star-Lord joke. It is getting played out to the point of annoyance. It is pretty much every trailer and tv spot.

20. Broseph44 Witness Me

They're not gonna stop it so yeah.

21. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Even in the first trailer, when we heard it the first time, it was one of the weaker points for me. By the time we got to that amazing trailer 2 I kinda felt like the re-play of that gag for the opener was the one thing holding the trailer back from perfection. By now, with it cropping up in every trailer and TV spot, I'm really starting to get sick of that "Star-Lord"/"Who!?" beat. I don't think it's necessarily a bad moment - Djiimon Hounsou's delivery of "Who!?" is spot-on - but it just feels overplayed, plus I kinda get the feeling the editing of that scene is all over the place for these trailers so we're not even going to get a sense of that full exchange in context until we see the final film.

I'm not worried, though, I don't think it's any kind of bad indicator for the direction of the film or anything like that. But for me, it seems like it's going to be a bit like that, "You want pain? Try wearing a corset!" groaner from the original Pirates of the Caribbean which was trailed on every TV spot and clip leading up the film's release, and ended up being one of the weakest one-liners in the film and a poor indicator of the quality of humor. This just means all the best jokes are being preserved for the film itself to keep them fresh! :woot:

22. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

I won't say this latest trailer was anything special, but for whatever reason it got me very excited for the series. Something clicked in my head and I was like, "Woah, this is happening and its going to end up being a series. WTF!"

And I had to grab a glass of water.

23. flickchick85 Admin of Might

At this point I'm kind of hoping it plays out completely differently in the movie. Sometimes they use alternate takes in the marketing, and I hope this is one of those instances. I remember they did that with a scene in PotC that got waaaay overplayed in the trailers/tv spots, and when it got to that scene in the actual movie, it was a totally different take that worked like a charm with the audience.

#948 flickchick85, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  24. alexlachiusa Registered

I'm Australian and I agree with this statement.

As for the Thanos pronunciation, I always say "Than-Oss"

25. Whiskey Tango Registered

1) Thain (plain, rain) - os
    2) Than (plan, ran) - os
    3) Thahn (John, Khan) -os

I've always read it as #1.

#2 sounds weird and I reject it.

Not seen too many suggest #3 but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.