Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nebula does look amazing! :hrt: so does Ronan which is why i question Yondu"s look, nevertheless Rooker will give a great performance, i hope there's a Starlord vs Ronan fight!

90% of the aliens in the comics look humanoid with different coloured or textured skin.

I'm sure we'll see some "far out" alien designs at some point though. I imagine The Collectors museum will be fully of weird and wonderful specimens.

The only thing that is disappointing me at the moment is the Nova Corps. They all look like humans (Xandar may be portrayed as another "Earth" but far more advanced though) and i'm not too fond of their costume designs. If Richie Ryder ever makes an appearance in the films I hope he absorbs World Mind and gets that cool knight like armour from the comics.

High-res...

Awesome! I'm such a fan of Michael Rooker, I'm glad he's in the film. It's funny, from as early as this film was announced, Michael Rooker was the guy I had in mind to voice Rocket Raccoon. Obviously, that didn't happen, but I think it's great that he ended up in the movie in a different role.

K5fGjry.jpg

Holy s**t! Finchy from 'The Office' (UK version) is a Ravager! (far right sitting down)

How did I not know this?! :wow:

Yeah I don't get it either. I understand not having a huge two-foot one for practical reasons but one would think they could have gone a little more alien than 'bone mohawk'.

But if that's the worst complaint I have about this movie there is not much to worry about.

maybe he trimmed it.. :o or it grows slowly with time, so as to reach a complete fin size in the 31 century

90% of the aliens in the comics look humanoid with different coloured or textured skin.

I'm sure we'll see some "far out" alien designs at some point though. I imagine The Collectors museum will be fully of weird and wonderful specimens.

The only thing that is disappointing me at the moment is the Nova Corps. They all look like humans (Xandar may be portrayed as another "Earth" but far more advanced though) and i'm not too fond of their costume designs. If Richie Ryder ever makes an appearance in the films I hope he absorbs World Mind and gets that cool knight like armour from the comics.

Exactly.. also the Asgardians are aliens and they look exactly like humans.. if they can look like that, there will be more others like that..

even the elder of the Universe - the collector looks humanoid... so there could have been humanoid beings on other planets from eons ago..

It's weird that after decades upon decades of sci-fi movies populated largely with humanoid characters, that it's with Guardians of the Galaxy that this has suddenly become a distracting problem.

I'm not following all the hate for body paint. Most comic book characters are humanoids with body paint. I don't know the source material for this movie (I was a DC fan until TDKR and MoS), so maybe my expectations are lower than most everyone else here. I like the look of everyone, except the pink chick that was shown chatting with Pratt.

I can understand the hatred for a finless character, if he always had a fin. But IMO the character looks great to me.

What's the deal here? Yondu looks awesome. How else would you have done it exactly? It was always going to be paint, you can be sure that like with Gamora, they tried tons of different shades to get it just right.

I don't remember it bothering anyone in the Star Trek reboot.....

Oh & Yondu does have the fin, it's just tiny & it's an implant, it's actually pretty smart how they did it.

Last edited:
What's the deal here? Yondu looks awesome. How else would you have done it exactly? It was always going to be paint, you can be sure that like with Gamora, they tried tons of different shades to get it just right.

I don't remember it bothering anyone in the Star Trek reboot.....

Oh & Yondu does have the fin, it's just tiny & it's an implant, it's actually pretty smart how they did it.

Actually that opening scene in Into Darkness, took me out of the world immediately, the paint job looked terrible.

The point is we are supposed to be on the other side of the galaxy and the whole idea of a movie is to make you feel immersed in it, I feel a painted human is just gonna remind me I'm sat in a theater.

But that is me and seemingly a few others, if you don't mind the rainbow humans then that is fine.

I guess blue is always more difficult to pull off convincingly, unless you add some texture to it. Like Mystique and Nightcrawler in the Movies. Even the Prison Guard that listens to the cassette players looks more convincing, because of the lighter shade of blue and the different skin texture.

But ultimately, this isn't going to ruin the Movie for me.

Actually that opening scene in Into Darkness, took me out of the world immediately, the paint job looked terrible.

The point is we are supposed to be on the other side of the galaxy and the whole idea of a movie is to make you feel immersed in it, I feel a painted human is just gonna remind me I'm sat in a theater.

But that is me and seemingly a few others, if you don't mind the rainbow humans then that is fine.

HOW is it not going to be a painted human? Wanna color the skin with CG? It's what it's going to be anyway, painting a face.

Plus, everything also depends on lighting situations, quite simply.

I'm not talking about Yondu, others maybe, Yondu obviously would be painted, although it could have been done better. I'm talking about all the background 'aliens' in the shots, the prisoners, the aliens in the bar scene etc

Does anyone else think that mohawk might actually extend into a fin more reminiscent of the comics? Perhaps it will make an appearance, even if it's only as brief as Thor's helmet.

I could picture it coming out in times of aggression...maybe it's a surprise...

i loved what Gunn said from the recent IO9 interview

"Joss was happy, but he wasn't as happy as everybody else and I was like, "Whoa, man!" And he's like, "Well, I really loved this and this is great, and the story's been cracked. But you know, I just really want there to be more James Gunn in the script. There's things that are too conventional and I want more James Gunn in it. And I was kinda sitting there and then Kevin and Lou were like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah." And I was like, "Alright, your funeral." Then I went home and I swear to God, I went home and I wrote a 7-page scene where the guys are in the spaceship arguing about something and it's all dialogue, and we're about to shoot it on Friday. And they were really happy. That was a cool thing and I think it's been a unique situation where Marvel—this group of characters is ready for somebody who sees things in the way I see things. And frankly, I think people are ready to see the movie like that. So, it feels good."

So Marvel didnt interfere or curtail his vision of the movie? :o

He is the only human, but I'm saying half the characters look human, which really doesn't bother me that much after all, most of the major players in Star Wars were human looking, it is more the painted humans, you kind of go, oh so that is what aliens look like red humans, or blue humans.

Not exactly sure why they are going 60s feel, I think that is just what Gunn wanted.

I have to admit, the paint just looks lazy, which is sad when you consider how amazing Karen/Nebula looks.

Maybe because most Marvel aliens DO look like humans with facepaint....? :huh:

I understand that some of you think that the more "alien," the better, but let's be honest: GOTG is COMIC-BOOK sci-fi, not hard sf. Yondu and the Kree look like guys in blue facepaint in the movie because that's *exactly* what they look like in the comics. As for the fin-o-philes for Yondu: the "metal mohawk" works just fine if they imply that maybe Yondu cut off his own fin --- or maybe it was removed by someone else, in punishment for going rogue and becoming a pirate. Or he lost it in a bar fight or for losing a bet. There's lots of "story" reasons they could have to explain the absence of the fin that would fit his pirate persona.

Maybe his fin turns up in Tivan's collection lol.

Did no one else see the 17 minute preview? That prison was crawlin with weird alien designs. Sure, this movie is going to have a lot of "painted human" aliens, since Marvel's comics are full of such designs, but from what I saw, they didn't shy away from including a lot of more bizarre designs as well.

Maybe Kree-Fin soup is an interstellar delicacy?

Does it count if two of the main characters are a tree and a raccoon?

Maybe Kree-Fin soup is an interstellar delicacy?

lol

I think these fears of lazy alien design will be put to rest with the movie. The one common thread in all the set visit reports was that the alien makeup was done really well.

Look, I think truthfully, losing really cool non-human character designs is something you lose when you make SF appealing across the GA. It was already a struggle to get Rocket onscreen, and we're getting Rocket AND Groot as main characters in the movie.

You have to be really careful about how non-humans come across in these movies. They can look amazing, or really stupid ("Meesa looksa really Dum-dum!" - JarJar Binks, probably.)

i loved what Gunn said from the recent IO9 interview

"Joss was happy, but he wasn't as happy as everybody else and I was like, "Whoa, man!" And he's like, "Well, I really loved this and this is great, and the story's been cracked. But you know, I just really want there to be more James Gunn in the script. There's things that are too conventional and I want more James Gunn in it. And I was kinda sitting there and then Kevin and Lou were like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah." And I was like, "Alright, your funeral." Then I went home and I swear to God, I went home and I wrote a 7-page scene where the guys are in the spaceship arguing about something and it's all dialogue, and we're about to shoot it on Friday. And they were really happy. That was a cool thing and I think it's been a unique situation where Marvel—this group of characters is ready for somebody who sees things in the way I see things. And frankly, I think people are ready to see the movie like that. So, it feels good."

So Marvel didnt interfere or curtail his vision of the movie? :o

This can't be true. I heard Marvel is the devil.

Look, I think truthfully, losing really cool non-human character designs is something you lose when you make SF appealing across the GA. It was already a struggle to get Rocket onscreen, and we're getting Rocket AND Groot as main characters in the movie.

You have to be really careful about how non-humans come across in these movies. They can look amazing, or really stupid ("Meesa looksa really Dum-dum!" - JarJar Binks, probably.)

I think it's a slippery slope. You can't get too hard with the SciFi because of the GA, but you also can't go too humanoid dependent either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"