Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did no one else see the 17 minute preview? That prison was crawlin with weird alien designs. Sure, this movie is going to have a lot of "painted human" aliens, since Marvel's comics are full of such designs, but from what I saw, they didn't shy away from including a lot of more bizarre designs as well.

Now this helps :woot: I'm only going on the photos and stuff we've seen in the trailer.

I just want me some crazy aliens walking around

Check out Vin Diesel's Instagram for two quick behind the scenes Groot videos.

One of them includes him saying 'I am Groot'' in Mandarin and the other is him on stilt shoes! :wow:

http://instagram.com/vindiesel

I think it's a slippery slope. You can't get too hard with the SciFi because of the GA, but you also can't go too humanoid dependent either.

Agreed. I love colorful non-humans as much as y'all... But you have to have the story/writing/acting/production all align to make it come across believably. Plus, it can be expensive to create such creatures.

That said, I find it a little funny we're having this discussion when there are literally two main non-human characters in the movie. ;)

Just having some fun ......

e9P0xVN.jpg

we0asjH.jpg

sKFeuwb.jpg

Last edited:
That said, I find it a little funny we're having this discussion when there are literally two main non-human characters in the movie. ;)

Well it's not really about the characters so much as bringing the world around them to life ..... and for this film that world is intergalactic.

The one thing we have to be careful of is viewing these pics thru a pre-defined lense from previous production photos and whatnot. There's a whole film we haven't seen chalk full of CGI and all kinds of goodies .... so I'm not going to sweat the humanoid/non-humanoid stuff yet.

The actual color palette choices will be interesting. I can definitely see that as a divisive thing among viewers depending on the textures of the finished product.

That last one is pretty good, Rock. :up:

Thanks. I like the color contrasts between the blue they used and the red of that faux-hawk. I wanted to add texture to the dorsal fin looking ones, but I just don't have time right now.

Well it's not really about the characters so much as bringing the world around them to life ..... and for this film that world is intergalactic.

The one thing we have to be careful of is viewing these pics thru a pre-defined lense from previous production photos and whatnot. There's a whole film we haven't seen chalk full of CGI and all kinds of goodies .... so I'm not going to sweat the humanoid/non-humanoid stuff yet.

The actual color palette choices will be interesting. I can definitely see that as a divisive thing among viewers depending on the textures of the finished product.

Totally get that, and I agree with you, but probably distinguish just on the aspects of what the GA will and won't accept. I do think if we see a sequel to GOTG and Rocket and Groot are successful, the sequel will have more universe building and take more chances on the non-humanoid aspects of Marvel Cosmic Universe.

If this movie nails both Rocket and Groot, that'll go a long way toward what audiences will and won't accept.

So is the thought that there might be an Avengers 3 tie in in the post credits correct? Maybe Space Iron Man?

If this movie nails both Rocket and Groot, that'll go a long way toward what audiences will and won't accept.

Sorry Suzanne78 but i've never agreed with statements like this one.

I think it's always been a fanboy fear of wanting the GA to accept the nerd **** that we're into. Fox/Rothman had the same ridiculous worry when it came to Galactus in the second FF film. So they changed him into a space storm of some kind, or hid him in it at least.

I've said this in past discussions on this very topic and I'll always use this example again and again. If people were ok with(and loved)a giant marshmallow monster in Ghostbusters there should be no worry about them accepting this or that. Star Wars alone proves that with all the crazy looking aliens that appeared. Fans with this worry tend to forget that this is by far Not the first time the GA have seen wacky characters that don't exist in real life and they've accepted it numerous times in the past. Groot and Rocket won't be an issue at all. The only people that will find it stupid are the ones that found films like Star Wars stupid. People that only seem to like straight forward dramas and whatnot.

Let's also not forget that people know this is a comic book film due to the fact that it has "from the makers of IM, Thor, etc..." all over it. They will be ready for some wacky fiction due to it being based on a comic book. The success of this film will all rely on if there is good word of mouth/good reviews, and Marvel's name of course.

it's so hard not to take a peak at all this stuff

@ smashmode

Space iron man is too random and "meh" imo. We're more likely to see Thanos, maybe his motivation for coming to earth. Or possibly no Avengers 3 tie In scene maybe it'll tie into something else.

Did no one else see the 17 minute preview? That prison was crawlin with weird alien designs. Sure, this movie is going to have a lot of "painted human" aliens, since Marvel's comics are full of such designs, but from what I saw, they didn't shy away from including a lot of more bizarre designs as well.

Yeah guys, put your minds at ease. The prison scene was a perfect mixture of bizarre and familiar and featured several decidedly non-human aliens - one prominently. And , most importantly, everything looked REAL!

I've had a similar gripe about human looking aliens in sci-fi movies/tv for years, but Marvel and Gunn were right to steer clear of a PT-style CG fest. Regardless of the budget.

Edit: and Figs, after watching the 17 min preview, I have to say that Suzanne 's point is an apt one. I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Sorry Suzanne78 but i've never agreed with statements like this one.

I think it's always been a fanboy fear of wanting the GA to accept the nerd **** that we're into. Fox/Rothman had the same ridiculous worry when it came to Galactus in the second FF film. So they changed him into a space storm of some kind, or hid him in it at least.

I've said this in past discussions on this very topic and I'll always use this example again and again. If people were ok with(and loved)a giant marshmallow monster in Ghostbusters there should be no worry about them accepting this or that. Star Wars alone proves that with all the crazy looking aliens that appeared. Fans with this worry tend to forget that this is by far Not the first time the GA have seen wacky characters that don't exist in real life and they've accepted it numerous times in the past. Groot and Rocket won't be an issue at all. The only people that will find it stupid are the ones that found films like Star Wars stupid. People that only seem to like straight forward dramas and whatnot.

Let's also not forget that people know this is a comic book film due to the fact that it has "from the makers of IM, Thor, etc..." all over it. They will be ready for some wacky fiction due to it being based on a comic book. The success of this film will all rely on if there is good word of mouth/good reviews, and Marvel's name of course.

Oh I know there are a lot of examples of "out there" non-humanoid creatures that are a part of the GA's acceptance already. But, like I said before, those creatures (Stay Puft/Slimer, Chewbacca, R2D2, ET, Yoda, looks like Ceasar might be joining them…) were accepted because the storytelling the movies did allowed the GA to make them seem not so silly. They felt like creatures that lived and breathed in their respective movies. The movies should build them up convincingly, not Jar Jar Binks the characters into a universal joke.

From the stuff I've seen, it appears Gunn achieved that with both Rocket and Groot. The general audience will hopefully accept them fully as actual, real characters.

I guess I've just seen and heard some anecdotal evidence about why in the world is there a talking tree and a raccoon in this movie from people unfamiliar with the source material, that it makes me question the idea that the general audience will simply accept quirky non-human characters no matter whether they're branded with the Marvel logo or not.

Of course, I'll gladly stand corrected if Rocket and/or Groot breaks out with the crowds after August 1st. Both of them are already the breakout stars of my :hrt:

Did the prison scene in the preview have that tracking shot going through the different levels like what Gunn described a while back?

Did the prison scene in the preview have that tracking shot going through the different levels like what Gunn described a while back?

Uh... Don't think so. Kinda glad they held back on that one. Based on what I did see, it's gonna be awesome.

Uh... Don't think so. Kinda glad they held back on that one. Based on what I did see, it's gonna be awesome.

Did they not show the whole prison scene, I thought that is what the preview was?

I guess I've just seen and heard some anecdotal evidence about why in the world is there a talking tree and a raccoon in this movie from people unfamiliar with the source material, that it makes me question the idea that the general audience will simply accept quirky non-human characters no matter whether they're branded with the Marvel logo or not.

In that preview it explains that Rocket is a genetic experiment and you get to see the plugs in his back. Later Rocket explains to Starlord that Groot's vocabulary is limited(can't remember Rocket's actual dialogue). I think that will help the audience in the acceptance department. Especialy since Rocket is an experiment and he's not from a planet full of some kind of Raccoon race. :woot:

Did they not show the whole prison scene, I thought that is what the preview was?

I'm pretty sure it was the entire prison escape sequence. Off the top of my head I don't remember any weird cuts or edits but sadly I can't recall if there was a full tracking shot. It did show different levels in the prison though.

Last edited:

From what I know now, it was definitely edited down somewhat. It flowed pretty well though, considering.

It is possible they showed an abbreviated version of the tracking shot or I just missed it somehow. Feel free to ask around.

Last edited:
Rocket sounds like a New York tough guy taxi driver basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"