Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Looks like he gets his dentistry done in the UK (I kid.)

2. harryoscop Registered

Now that's more like it!! looks pretty alien, look at that skin texture!

3. Ghostcrow13 Registered

Yep that looks sick, especially the skin around the mohawk thingy. But seriously that isn't his real teeth are they?

4. harryoscop Registered

Is he missing a ear?

5. StarLord <<<<<<<<<<

That's awesome!

They're working fine for me. Strange.

6. cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Rothman was the same idiot who also said that he wouldn't include Sentinels in the early X-Men movies because giant robots looked stupid in movies, and fans would never go for them.

A few years later, "Transformers" happened.

To be fair, JarJar's appearance has never been an issue among fandom. Yeah, he's goofy looking, but I've never heard a single complaint about the way he looked. Instead, the near-universal hatred for JarJar is built on two facets: 1) a jaw-droppingly inappropriate (and grossly outdated) racist caricature of Jamaicans/Caribbean islanders; and 2) incredibly annoying dialogue, personality, and schtick.

Had Lucas given JarJar anything -- *anything* -- other than the persona and dialogue that showed up in the final product, the character would probably be seen as likeable (or at least tolerable) to this day. Didn't have anything to do with his looks, and I strongly doubt people will object to the look of Gunn's aliens.

7. Figs Registered

Exactly!

8. The Endless WE are Groot

Tom Rothman... what a friggin idiot. He ruined so many films with his nonsensical cutting.

9. Rock Sexton Registered

That's a filter on the picture though.

10. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

He was also Theon Greyjoy's treacherous Iron Island soldier Dagmer Cleftjaw on Game Of Thrones and Death Eater Amycus Carrow in the Harry Potter movies

11. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

Yeah, lets just ignore that we in fact know the Edgar Wright situation did in fact happen.

12. kosh33 MCU Fanatic

no one said it didnt happen, just because it did doesnt mean that Marvel did the wrong thing

13. Curmudgeon Killjoy

That's adorable.

14. Crimson King Superhero Novelista

No one outside of the two parties knows what happened, so you can't say either is at fault. No reason to assume one over the other.

15. Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Hm… I don't think I said or mentioned just focusing on the appearance of the characters. I certainly agree w/ you on Jar Jar's most problematic aspects. The fans I talk to hate his existence for those very reasons. Also, for me, I do add to it the "uncanny valley" look of his CGI'ness. He simply looks dated now, and add to that the way the actors failed to interact with him. That's as much the fault of the writing and directing as anything… which all goes back to my original points that it is the story/directing/voicework/all the facets of filmmaking that goes into creating these non-humanoid creatures. They have to be on point, they have to have strong characterization.

I'm hoping that Rocket and Groot will join Chewy, the droids, Cesear, Gollum, etc. in the pantheon of memorable, iconic non-human characters.

16. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

No need to over think the Jar Jar dislike. He is character who plays to children and children alone. That was enough to gain him scorn from the fandom, who grew up as different kids, in a different time. As someone who dislikes the prequels quite a bit, I have never disliked Jar Jar really. He actually makes me laugh at times. I find other things far more grating.

This is not the place, but considering it is Edgar Wright, it is pretty clear what happened. If you think Edgar Wright walked away from a project he spent his life thinking about for no reason, I'd question your logic on the situation.

#991 DarthSkywalker, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  17. TeeKay Registered

They will. Just watch.:oldrazz:

18. The Ironstar Registered

From the place that can't be name.

19. Joeyjojo72 Registered

Jar Jar sucked. That much is "clear". But let's get back on topic.

After seeing the hi res pics of Yondu, I'm satisfied with his look. Curious how much of his back story will be preserved from the comics. I'm guessing not much.

20. TeeKay Registered

You guessed right.:cwink:

EDIT: I dunno much about the character other than that he was one of the original GOTG (so I was told over at CBM.com).[blackout] In the film he's more like a space pirate who snatches up Quill when he was young and raises him to be the man he is today. So I'm not sure if that's a major deviation or not.[/blackout]

#995 TeeKay, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  21. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

Is there conflict between Star-Lord and Yondu?

22. TeeKay Registered

Yes a couple of times actually. It's like one of those father-son type conflicts but the biggest one was[BLACKOUT]when the two agree to steal the orb, Peter pretty much goes off on his own and try to sell it and Yondu comes after him:funny:. He's not a bad guy though, he's also doing it so that the orb doesn't end up in Ronan's hands. [/BLACKOUT]

23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

Ah, that is pretty nice.

24. TeeKay Registered

Everything that happened on Knowhere was pretty cool imo. Just to see the everyday life of other aliens and what not (felt like Firefly at some points). I'd totally see a tv show based on that entire planet. Was more interesting than the stuff on Xander which was basically been there done that with all the sci fi techy stuff (Felt like Elysium).

25. TeeKay Registered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.