Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.Its on Netflix,which means is almost free.So they wont be putting too much money into this
2.A TV budget wont satisfy the action and FX a superhero movie deserves,none of the shows you mentioned requires that I think
3.Marvel has so far disappointed in the TV medium
4.He won't get enough exposure compared to the other heroes even though he is arguably a better known hero than many of them
5.I don't want this to end up being a lawyer-who-is-also-a-crime-fighter rather than a crime-fighter-who-is-also-a-lawyer-thing

Daredevil imo is really interesting character in terms of his powers and has one of the best origins ever.That deserves a movie

A 2 hour DD movie vs a 13 hour DD series....yeah, think I'll pick the series.

13 hours of TV is better than two hours of movies. That's how I look at it. I see the Netflix shows as 6 two hour movies plus an extra hour. That's two trilogies!

How is that hard to understand?

In two weeks, GOTG already makes back it's budget domestically, which according to The Wrap and Box Office Mojo is $170 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Its on Netflix,which means is almost free.So they wont be putting too much money into this

Is this a joke? Have you even seen some of the exclusive Netflix shows? It's not very uncommon these days. It's quickly becoming more and more of a thing.

2.A TV budget wont satisfy the action and FX a superhero movie deserves,none of the shows you mentioned requires that I think

Not a problem with a character like Daredevil. You don't need a big budget for him. And again, that's quickly changing with both the TV boom and the TV superhero boom that is currently occurring. TV perceptions are changing. As I said, that's why now is the best time to do Daredevil.

With animation, where Feige and Co. had no involvement in. But I do admit the likes of Quesada/Loeb being involved is worrying to a degree.

4.He won't get enough exposure compared to the other heroes even though he is arguably a better known hero than many of them.

Again, this is rapidly changing. House of Cards and Orange in the New Black are getting just as much exposure as cable shows, not to mention most popular shows are frequently viewed through Netflix. But even if that's the case, story quality always comes first and foremost before pandering for popularity.

5.I don't want this to end up being a lawyer-who-is-also-a-crime-fighter rather than a crime-fighter-who-is-also-a-lawyer-thing

Lawyer-who-is-also-a-crime-fighter is exactly what Daredevil is. That's right in the core of the character.

Daredevil imo is really interesting character in terms of his powers and has one of the best origins ever.That deserves a movie

He deserves a really good story. Which could be told either through TV or a movie. Again, why does it being a movie automatically make the story better or more "worthy" of viewing? It doesn't. If anything, it won't be as rushed on TV. As someone else said, the '03 film is guilty of trying to cram so many story elements all in one film.

Five commercially successful Spider-man movies says otherwise

Spider-Man would work better on TV too. All superheroes would technically work better on TV if budget was never an issue, because they were specifically created for serialized storytelling. And budget is quickly not becoming an issue. Assuming TV progresses at this same rate in the near future, we should be able to get big guns like Spidey and Batman on TV in the 2020's.

Last edited:
Since we know that the Age of Ultron will be a smash hit, the pressure is now on Peyton Reed and Ant Man.

Again, this is rapidly changing. House of Cards is getting just as much exposure as cable shows, not to mention most popular shows are frequently viewed through Netflix. But even if that's the case, story quality always comes first and foremost before pandering for popularity.

Also both that show and Orange is the New Black (also a Netflix show) are getting a lot of love from the Emmy Awards. If Netflix wasn't the exposure that people want from Daredevil, then why are their two flagship original shows getting a lot of love from the Emmys?

13 hours of TV is better than two hours of movies. That's how I look at it. I see the Netflix shows as 6 two hour movies plus an extra hour. That's two trilogies!

How is that hard to understand?

Netflix isn't even available all over the world
Plus it won't have the same punch as a movie,It may end up more like a drama than a Superhero series

Plus it won't have the same punch as a movie,It may end up more like a drama than a Superhero series

So 13 hours isn't enough to make you watch Daredevil? You only want 2 with no guarantee of a sequel?

That makes no sense.

But let's talk about Guardians.

I strongly believe that one of the reasons the sequel was announced at Comic-Con for 2014 was because Marvel was able to work out Zoe Saldana's schedule to where she can still have a significant role in the sequel in between the Avatar movies and Star Trek 3.

Daredevil works on TV also because the action that they'll like do is much more manageable on a TV budget than what a hero like Spider-Man requires.

Is this a joke? Have you even seen some of the exclusive Netflix shows? It's not very uncommon these days. It's quickly becoming more and more of a thing.
Initially it is free right? And Marvel isn't known to throw away a lot of money(not a bad thing per se).I don't see them investing too much into him

Not a problem with a character like Daredevil. You don't need a big budget for him. And again, that's quickly changing with both the TV boom and the TV superhero boom that is currently occurring. TV perceptions are changing. As I said, that's why now is the best time to do Daredevil.
I disagree,I think he needs a big budget to be done justice,Cap Am for example,he isn't someone with superpowers,but still needs 150M+ per movie

Again, this is rapidly changing. House of Cards and Orange in the New Black are getting just as much exposure as cable shows, not to mention most popular shows are frequently viewed through Netflix. But even if that's the case, story quality always comes first and foremost before pandering for popularity.
Netflix is not available in a LOT of international territories,that's one of my main worries
One of the reasons why I am disappointed with this is because I see a lot of potential with Daredevil
MCU now has The Avengers franchise,The nine realms and all from Thor,Other galaxies because of GOTG,the supernatural area after they introduce Dr. Strange
I was thinking that a Daredevil movie could open up a lot of possibilities of street-level superheroes,guys like Punisher,Spider-man(I predict he will be back within an year or two),Ghost Rider.A group which is like the avengers but deals with more down to earth threats

So 13 hours isn't enough to make you watch Daredevil? You only want 2 with no guarantee of a sequel?
That makes no sense.
I fear it may end up like more of a courtroom-type Drama

I strongly believe that one of the reasons the sequel was announced at Comic-Con for 2014 was because Marvel was able to work out Zoe Saldana's schedule to where she can still have a significant role in the sequel in between the Avatar movies and Star Trek 3.

I think it was more to do with the early positive reception

I only see GOTG 2 adding at most two more heroes to the team, including another female. Not sure who James Gunn likes out of the rest of the females that have been with the team in the comics but he does like Adam Warlock, so I'd expect him on the team, perhaps as an ally.

I think it was more to do with the early positive reception

That's another reason.

But Zoe Saldana is a busy woman. I like her, and I was thrilled beyond belief that she wasn't ever mentioned for Star Wars 7 but it felt like for a long time she was the default black actress in Sci Fi movies, like there weren't going to be others. She was already in two franchises when she signed on as Gamora (I thought Rosario Dawson would be perfect as Gamora as Dawson is more curvier than Saldana) and I thought that she would not have any time for any possible sequels. Her schedule was probably worked out to where she has two or three months off between the Avatar films to shoot Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

They could always reduce her role to a cameo, like Sam Jackson will have in Avengers 2, but somehow I doubt that, especially now knowing that Nebula survives. There needs to be a final showdown between the two.

Again, Djimon Hounsou was wasted in this movie.

4.He won't get enough exposure compared to the other heroes even though he is arguably a better known hero than many of them

This is stupid, you really need to research things before you make comments on them. The Netflix shows are being done for about a million dollars an episode. Is that not a big enough budget for you? Netflix and other streaming services are in the fast lane to take out traditional TV. Agen'ts of SHIELD took a little time to get going but you obviously didn't follow along once TWS dropped since it ended in ways that are all kinds of awesome. DD is not more well known to the GA.

Five commercially successful Spider-man movies says otherwise

If you consider the last one commercially successful I have some bad news for you my friend

This is completely unfounded. It's currently being filmed right now so nobody knows what is happening, and if you think Marvel is going to make DD a courtroom drama and not have tons of action I'm not sure what studios films you have been watching

I only see GOTG 2 adding at most two more heroes to the team, including another female. Not sure who James Gunn likes out of the rest of the females that have been with the team in the comics but he does like Adam Warlock, so I'd expect him on the team, perhaps as an ally.

I can see AW but I think they make take some inspiration from the current run and add Angela (it may even be one of those things with Marvel that's not negotiable) I would be okay with that

This is stupid, you really need to research things before you make comments on them. The Netflix shows are being done for about a million dollars an episode. Is that not a big enough budget for you? Netflix and other streaming services are in the fast lane to take out traditional TV. Agen'ts of SHIELD took a little time to get going but you obviously didn't follow along once TWS dropped since it ended in ways that are all kinds of awesome. DD is not more well known to the GA.
Million dollars an episode is pretty good,thats 13M for the whole series,still not comparable to a 150M dollar movie

This is completely unfounded. It's currently being filmed right now so nobody knows what is happening, and if you think Marvel is going to make DD a courtroom drama and not have tons of action I'm not sure what studios films you have been watching
I hope you are right and Marvel proves me wrong once again like they did with TWS and GOTG
But my point about Netflix not being widely available still stands

This is stupid, you really need to research things before you make comments on them. The Netflix shows are being done for about a million dollars an episode.
Should be more than that, since the 4 shows together are costing $200 million. That would mean the budget for each episode should be around $3-4M.

Also, for the record, Netflix just surpassed HBO in subscriber revenue. So they're hardly a small outlet anymore.

I could also see a scenario where Adam Warlock could be a potential villain under his Magus persona, heading the Universal Church of Truth. In which case that would free up Moondragon and Phylla-Vell to be the two new team members... or maybe Mantis. I imagine it'll be either Mantis or Moondragon, since they're both psychics and having both on the team would be redundant.

I could also see a scenario where Adam Warlock could be a potential villain under his Magus persona, heading the Universal Church of Truth. In which case that would free up Moondragon and Phylla-Vell to be the two new team members... or maybe Mantis. I imagine it'll be either Mantis or Moondragon, since they're both psychics and having both on the team would be redundant.

Where would that leave Nebula?

As a spoiler in the mix, on no one's side but her own. Or maybe she aligns with The Ravagers? Or she goes back to Thanos' side and plays a part in his road to the Infinity Gauntlet.

Initially it is free right? And Marvel isn't known to throw away a lot of money(not a bad thing per se).I don't see them investing too much into him

Netflix isn't free, nor are Netflix shows cheap, nor is there any solid evidence to suggest Marvel is cheap (quite the opposite), nor does Daredevil even require a $150 million budget (Guardians had a $170 million budget btw).

I disagree,I think he needs a big budget to be done justice,Cap Am for example,he isn't someone with superpowers,but still needs 150M+ per movie

Cap isn't street level, has powers and fights on a different scale. There is nothing in Daredevil that would require as much budget as the SHIELD Helicarriers or as the HYDRA tech in TFA or anything close.

Netflix is not available in a LOT of international territories,that's one of my main worries

Netflix isn't but the shows are. Plus as someone else stated, Netflix has surpassed HBO in subscriber revenue. HBO is still available in many parts of the world, so it shouldn't be a problem for Netflix.

One of the reasons why I am disappointed with this is because I see a lot of potential with Daredevil
MCU now has The Avengers franchise,The nine realms and all from Thor,Other galaxies because of GOTG,the supernatural area after they introduce Dr. Strange
I was thinking that a Daredevil movie could open up a lot of possibilities of street-level superheroes,guys like Punisher,Spider-man(I predict he will be back within an year or two),Ghost Rider.A group which is like the avengers but deals with more down to earth threats

All of that is happening. That's exactly what Marvel is doing. And they somehow can't do this through television because...?

I fear it may end up like more of a courtroom-type Drama

That's exactly what half of Daredevil is, so what's the problem? Daredevil is just as much of a courtroom drama as it is a vigilante tale, arguably even more depending on the run. You're essentially fearing that Daredevil will be allowed to be Daredevil.

I'd rather see 13 hours of DareDevil than a 2 hour film.

kermit-meme-4.png

The only thing 5 Spider-man movies says is that you can make 5 Spider-man movies, it does not say otherwise.

It does not say Spider-man could not work as a TV/netflix series if it was done well, just like a poor Spider-man movie does not say you can't make any Spider-man movies anymore.

I think Spider-man as a series could freaking KILL if done properly. His supporting cast is second to none. I believe the majority of his villians could be done on TV and they could save the characters that are SFX heavy for the movies.

That's all of course IMO.

Anyway, I'm off topic, back to GotG.

We need a GotG series of smileys to be able to use on this board, at the very least a Rocket face or Starlord helmet.

I think Spider-man as a series could freaking KILL if done properly. His supporting cast is second to none. I believe the majority of his villians could be done on TV and they could save the characters that are SFX heavy for the movies.

Spidey is perfect for TV. Hopefully Sony will bail, Marvel gets him back and can do meaningful things with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"