Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - - Part 19

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by Thread Manager, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

:up: :up: :up:

2. SomeOldGuy Registered

3. Whiskey Tango Registered

4. marcvader Lurker #1

5. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

that was awesome

6. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

That was a surprisingly accurate three-minute retelling of the movie.

7. RichardRider Registered

I have no idea if this has been asked or discussed before and there's so many pages to go through so I apologise in advance but does anyone have an indication of WHEN this film takes place? I wanna do a marathon just before AOU and I just wanna be certain of the chronological order.

8. sabetoonth Where You Get Those Eyes?

When it came out, August 2014, Gunn has said as much as I recall.

Also I had a thought today, what if the Sakaaran's we saw in the film are meant to be Meek's species from the comics? Would explain their insectoid nature.

9. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

Like sabe said, August 2014. 1988 when Peter is abducted + 26 years later = 2014, and sabe is right that Gunn said it takes place pretty much when it came out.

The nice thing about Phase 2 is that the order of release of the movies is the order of events in Phase 2. There isn't any overlap (like there was with Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk and Thor) or backtracking (like with the bulk of The First Avenger taking place in WWII). It's very straight forward.

10. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I don't think they were bug like enough to be part of Meek's race to be honest. But, at a bit of a stretch they did look somewhat similar in the face to Meek pre-transformation.

11. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

Just watched this again and it still holds up. I think I actually like it more every time I watch it.

12. sabetoonth Where You Get Those Eyes?

I almost always forget about the transformation Meek made when I think back to him. Heh. But yea, that was the reference I was using.

But maybe I just thought of it cause I'm hoping the red Sakaaran's appear later.

13. Thoix Registered

Same here. I watched it twice within the same week in December and both times were more enjoyable than the last. My major complaints for the film are still there, but I have gotten around to liking Ronan a lot more than the first time I saw the movie.

14. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Same here, it's my favourite MCU movie so far and just keeps pulling away with each re-watch.

Most people remember Meek post transformation as its when he starts having a major influence on the story which lasts right up until the end of WWH. But yeah, he once lived up to his name :yay:.

15. JeetKuneDo Guitarist

Ronan is one of the things I get more out of with each viewing.

I feel like I completely understand his backstory and motivation now.

16. Whiskey Tango Registered

Seen too many people comparing him to Malekith and writing him off as 'evil for evil's sake' which I don't think is accurate at all.

17. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Malekith I understand the complaints about. I mean, "the universe should be dark, boo hoo hoo" was a stupid motivation to have as his driving force.

Ronan on the other hand was clearly driven by a sort of blood feud (mentioning avenging his father and grandfather) plus a healthy amount of bigotry.

18. Thoix Registered

When I first saw GotG, I truly felt underwhelmed by Ronan and felt he was not very well executed, despite having a great threatening presence. However, the more I watch the movie the more i feel he was actually a great villain. We don't know his entire back story, but he certainly has motivation and it fits his character. In a way, the less we know about him, the more threatening he comes off. I do still think there could be a bit more to Ronan, but he's still one of the better MCU villains.

I wish there was more to Nebula (and Gamora) though.

19. Endeavor Que bolá con el timbeque?

Well you will definitely get to see more of Nebula in the future.

20. Thoix Registered

Yep, that's why she gets a bit of a pass. If Nebula was killed off, then I would consider her a weak villain. I really hope the next movie has more confrontations between Gamora and Nebula.

21. BarryAllen ey b0ss

I bet she'll show up in Infinity War too because she was a big part of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

22. marcvader Lurker #1

I expect a lot more character development from the majority of the principle players in the sequel making this franchise an even richer experience than it already is.

23. JAK® Upstart

I'm convinced that Lee Pace was cast as Ronan purely on his ability to pull off your typical bombastic card-carrying villain and then switch to the comedic "What are you doing?" scene without it being a total mood whiplash.

24. Silvermoon Made To Be Ruled

*lol* Agree with this.

I recently discovered the gem of a movie "The Fall" that he did several years ago (came out in 2006 I believe), and there's a moment in it (right when he takes over the part of the "Black Bandit" in the imaginary/story world that his character in the real world is telling the little girl about) that me and my sister were like, "look, he's channeling Ronan before he became Ronan!!". I mean he's just screaming of his vengeance and then is immediately able to switch it to a beat of humor when the little girl makes a comment via voice over (for those familiar with the movie, I'm talking about the "I thought he was Spanish" bit), and it just.....works.

Love Lee Pace, and loved him as Ronan. I'd either love to see Ronan find a way back somehow or else see if they can find another part for Lee elsewhere in the MCU (I mean, he's so covered with makeup and what not as Ronan that they could find a more normal-looking part for him, right? RIGHT?!? :oldrazz:)

#624 Silvermoon, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  25. Whiskey Tango Registered

Ronan can come back easy. Supreme Intelligence clones his henchmen all the time. And that's not counting any Infinity Shenanigans.