Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they can use wanda and quicksilver in the avengers, why not use whichever characters they want now. just not mention any fox studio relationships. like use galactus or the silver surfer but never mention the fantastic four.

Fox owns Super Skrull because he has the FF powers. Not because he's a Skrull. Marvel/Disney owns the Skrull race along with practically every other Marvel Comics alien race.
No, they own the Skrulls too. Feige said so himself. He said there's a bit of the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver situation with the Skrulls, then goes on to affirm they chose the Chitauri name because they couldn't use the name Skrulls (among other reasons). With the Ronan and Korath thing, it made me finally realize what Feige meant by a little of the Maximoff situation, which I didn't understand fully because if you can't use the name Skrulls what do you actually own about them then? They can use characters that were Skrulls (or Kree) in the comics but can't actually call them that.

Where's a link to the interview? I can't find one anywhere that shows Feige saying Marvel doesn't own the Skrulls. He's actually said specifically that they do:

‘We do own them.’

http://www.chud.com/20263/comic-con-09-will-the-avengers-battle-the-skrulls/

I think you're misremembering this quote from another CHUD interview where Feige said:

"Skrulls have a big connection to Fantastic Four. So there are some contractual limitations about who can do what when it comes to Skrulls. Though that is not why we didn’t do Skrulls. There is already enough going on in this movie. "

http://www.chud.com/92209/interview-kevin-feige-the-avengers/

What post? What interview? Link por favor?
The interview where Feige first talked about the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver situation at a press showing of the first Avengers movie last year. You should remember it. It was brung up a bunch of times before Whedon confirmed the twins were in A2. I'll go back and get the vid. People overlooked Feige's comments on the Skrulls in the interview for some reason.

Ah, clutch. :D
When he said "That's why we chose to use that name" I'm pretty sure he was responding to the fact that the guy asked about the Ultimate comics. The Ultimate Avengers is why they chose to use the Chitauri name, not because they can't use the Skrull name.

So in essence:
Interview guy: "Or was that keeping with the Ultimates continuity?"
Feige: "That's why we chose that name"

Bingo. It's a cool name, and one they wouldn't have used for anything else later on. What's the point of making up a name for an alien race when you have so many throw-away ones to fall back on? Was a nice nod to fans

When he said "That's why we chose to use that name" I'm pretty sure he was responding to the fact that the guy asked about the Ultimate comics. The Ultimate Avengers is why they chose to use the Chitauri name, not because they can't use the Skrull name.

So in essence:
Interview guy: "Or was that keeping with the Ultimates continuity?"
Feige: "That's why we chose that name"
Hmm, maybe, but he could have just as easily been responding to the question before that, since he was already formulating a response on it. I'd love for Marvel to be able to use the Kree and Skrulls fully, but it just doesn't seem likely to me. We'll find out when we start to learn more about the film I guess though.

Where's a link to the interview? I can't find one anywhere that shows Feige saying Marvel doesn't own the Skrulls. He's actually said specifically that they do:

‘We do own them.’

http://www.chud.com/20263/comic-con-09-will-the-avengers-battle-the-skrulls/

I think you're misremembering this quote from another CHUD interview where Feige said:

"Skrulls have a big connection to Fantastic Four. So there are some contractual limitations about who can do what when it comes to Skrulls. Though that is not why we didn’t do Skrulls. There is already enough going on in this movie. "

http://www.chud.com/92209/interview-kevin-feige-the-avengers/
The vagueness on all his answers about the exact stipulations with the Skrulls is another reason I think they can't actually use the name. He always just says there are contractual limitations with them...well what are they? Knowing that Marvel cant call the twins mutants it would make sense if with the aliens they can't call them that specific race.

Excuse me, but none of us can go into Feige's head and dissect which statement he was responding to. Like I said, we'll find out as we learn more whether they can use the name Kree and by extension the likelihood of them being able to use the name Skrulls.

Hmm, maybe, but he could have just as easily been responding to the question before that, since he was already formulating a response on it. I'd love for Marvel to be able to use the Kree and Skrulls fully, but it just doesn't seem likely to me. We'll find out when we start to learn more about the film I guess though.
It wouldn't really make sense as an answer to the first question because it doesn't actually answer the question.

I mean they chose to use the Chitauri name for the generic alien race they used in the movie because both companies can use the Skrulls? What does both companies owning the Skrulls have to do with naming the Avengers aliens the Chitauri?

I'm out. This is ludicrous.
Okay.

It wouldn't really make sense as an answer to the first question because it doesn't actually answer the question.

I mean they chose to use the Chitauri name for the generic alien race they used in the movie because both companies can use the Skrulls? What does both companies owning the Skrulls have to do with naming the Avengers aliens the Chitauri?
That's not what the interviewer asks there. Listen to what the interviewer asks

"So that's partly why it's the Chitauri rather than the Skrulls..."
"Well that's why we chose that name..."

That's an appropriate response that means they can't use the name Skrulls per the contractual limitations/split rights he mentioned right before that. He just went on to list other reason why Joss didn't want to use shape shifting aliens.

Notice he refers to them as "shape shifters" and they just didn't "want to go into that end of the world yet" rather than saying they didn't want to go into the history of the Skrulls like Joss said prior...

Dent, it sounds like you want Marvel to not be able to use the name just so you can be right. I don't know, it seems pretty clear that Marvel can use the skrulls, and even so they're going to get the F4 rights back soon anyways, yeah I said it, so none of this really matters.

That's not what the interviewer asks there. Listen to what the interviewer asks

"So that's partly why it's the Chitauri rather than the Skrulls..."
"Well that's why we chose that name..."

That's an appropriate response that means they can't use the name Skrulls per the contractual limitations/split rights he mentioned right before that.
No no no.

Feige: "And the Skrulls have a little bit of that too"
Guy: "Is that partly why it was the Chitauri [race] rather than the Skrull [race]?"
Guy: "Or was that keeping with the Utimates continuity?"
Feige: "That's why we chose [the Chitauri] name"

Why would Feige say they chose to use the Chitauri name because both companies own the Skrull race? The guy didn't ask about names, he asked if they used the Chitauri RACE because both companies own the Skrull RACE. Nobody said anything about the Skrulls name. His answer is more appropriate for the second question. They used the Chitauri NAME because of the Ultimate comics.

How does it sound like that? i would love for them to be able to but the way Feige talks in that interview doesn't convince me otherwise.

Let me clarify, it sounds like they can use Skrull characters/shape shifting aliens but they cannot call them Skrulls. Executives are very particular about the language they use when talking about certain things and the language Feige uses there gives me those impressions if not outright confirming it.

No no no.

Feige: "And the Skrulls have a little bit of that too"
Guy: "Is that partly why it was the Chitauri [race] rather than the Skrull [race]?"
Guy: "Or was that keeping with the Utimates continuity?"
Feige: "That's why we chose [the Chitauri] name"

Why would Feige say they chose to use the Chitauri name because both companies own the Skrull race? The guy didn't ask about names, he asked if they used the Chitauri RACE because both companies own the Skrull race. Nobody said anything about the Skrulls name. His answer is more appropriate for the second question. they used the Chitauri NAME because of the Ultimate comics.
Feige is (possibly) responding to the question of why they used the Chitauri rather than the Skrulls (because Fox owns some rights to the Skrulls), and goes on to say "well that's why we used that name". That answer fits perfectly into the context of that question. It could go either way, as I said, we can't burrow into his brain and pick it. But the language he used leaves me thinking it's that they can't use the name Skrulls.

it sounds like they can use Skrull characters/shape shifting aliens but they cannot call them Skrulls.
Feige never said anything remotely like that. He said "That's why we chose that name." They chose the name Chitauri because the aliens in the movie don't have a pre-existing name. They're a made up race of aliens. They were named the Chitauri because that's what the aliens are called in the Ultimate comics. "Or was it keeping with the Ultimates continuity?" "That's why we chose that name."

I understand what you're saying about teh interviewer not specifically talking about names but he never specified race like you did in your post, he just threw out the names. Feige responding in that manner is appropriate given that. You might have more of a point if he actually made the distinction between name and race but the interviewer didn't.

"He's a complicated Kree [pause/end thought] he's been around since '67."

Guys, c'mon they are Kree. Pace said so. You're dissecting into the comments too much. There will be Kree in the movie. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for these characters to be anything else. And you can bet the Skrulls will be at least mentioned too. They purposefully named The Avengers aliens Chitouri so that they can use the Skrulls at a later time.

And you have to stop thinking these movies are direct, page for page adaptations. Every single Marvel Studios movie is and will be an original story that draws themes/parallels from the comics. Just because a character didn't have a distinct relationship to another in the comics has no impact to the film-verse (rights aside).

Couldn't have said it better

Feige never said anything remotely like that. He said "That's why we chose that name." They chose the name Chitauri because the aliens in the movie don't have a pre-existing name. They're a made up race of aliens. They were named the Chitauri because that's what the aliens are called in the Ultimate comics. "Or was it keeping with the Ultimates continuity?" "That's why we chose that name."
"So is that why it was the Chitauri rather than the Skrulls...." "Well that's why we chose that name but the truth is Joss blah blah blah"

Like I said they both fit. But the fact that Feige specifically says there are contractual limitations and the fact right in that same sentence he refers to them as using "shape shifters" and "going into that part of the universe" rather than just calling them what they are and talking about exploring their history (as Joss said) points to them not being able to call them Skrulls. Language like that means a whole lot with these kind of legal things with executives, it's not just a coincidence.

When Feige says, "That's why we chose that name," he seems to be referring to the legal grey area not because the aliens weren't shape shifters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"